Wayne is our Shop Foreman at Bobby Ford Tractor and Equipment. "description":"Discussion of Farmall C PTO shaft seal part 2 in the Farmall & IHC Tractors forum followed by comments. Put a strap around the arm of puller so they dont slip off the gear. I would use two of the new style seals as they are thinner. Thanks, that was it, I knew it had to be something easy. Still wont budge. Further, safety is an issue. Afterward, you can get yourself a pry bar. Your last throw of the dice is possibly some light heating Success!! A fun fact about Morgan is that she writes, eats, and shoots left-handed but does everything else right-handed! method the last thing you want is destroy the shaft parts like the bearings- You can use a mixture of diesel and ATF with a 50:50 ratio. Most likely, there is a poor adjustment on the PTO control valve that permits it to only partially engage or float. You dont have to hit the PTO with so much force. I would think there is a clip on the shaft also. I had one on the super that would not move it took a tremendous a lot of heat . That gear is really and truly 'on there'and doesn't want to come off in a conventional way. attempts, pour some more oil down there or shoot some grease in there. I have a question about the seal bore. Grease the splines on the tractor's driveshaft spindle to make installation and removal of the PTO shaft easier. Tried to use slide hammer to pull PTO from tractor. with WD40 can also help to loosen the shaft adequately for this method. If the cause of the jamming of the PTO shaft is corrosion, you can employ the lube method. Ed is one of our Technicians at Bobby Ford Tractor and Equipment. Face the backside of the tractor, between the back wheels. Our team independently selects, reviews, and identifies the best products. that we are here, I must mention that penetrating oil like PB Blaster might I have noticed a couple times that the pin on the shaft will stick letting it slide past the groove on the pto shaft. I would have just heated the seal. The pully seal was similar difficulty. Afterward, tap the PTO coupling again to budge it. The abovementioned methods on disengaging the PTO shaft will only work well if the PTO shaft is still not broken or cracked. Commentdocument.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a8446d2b3c63c3a34effe5db0aaafdd0" );document.getElementById("e99e9d13aa").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); Term of Service | Privacy Policy | About & Contact Us, How to Use Tractor Weights For Ballasting. I'll start working on it in the morning and let you guys know how it goes. Heat the housing first then drive the pto shaft out the back? Thanks!! Frankly before I would have taken all that apart. On this size machine, this is actually a fairly simple process. You have to pull the gear on the inside and the shaft will slide out. That way I could bottom out the bolt before it got against the gear. A PTO shaft also tends to get corroded in just a few months When you raise the mower the shaft gets in a bind and jams the release pin into the tractor's shaft. This is a difficult job! Then, try to disengage the PTO shaft again. That s what I did, found a couple for $6 each. but this method is riddled with danger. Most of the time, I hook left arm, right arm, pto shaft then top link. Do brand new lawn mower blades need to be sharpened? The ends of the PTO shafts shown below connect to the tractor PTO and have universal joints to allow them to operate at a range of angles from the PTO. Knocking Noise When Braking at Low Speeds. More than one way to accomplish this . There will be instances when the abovementioned steps seem to fail in removing the PTO from the tractor. However, just like any mechanical equipment, the PTO shaft may also get stuck to the tractor and may be difficult to disengage, especially if it has been sitting there for a long time. If you found yourself caught up in this mechanism, escape would be unlikely. I had the same problem puting the deck back on. You must pull this gear straight down the axis to shaft if not you grab and Gaul shaft ,. Remove the PTO shield from the tractor. Ensure that you turn off the tractors engine before you even dare remove the PTO shaft from it. In his free time, Christian enjoys working with equipment and vehicles. Tractor Seats; Trans and Rear Axle; Umbrellas and Buggy Tops; Weld-on Axles & Hubs; Combine Parts. Its inside, and the process to fix it will be extremely involved. Another method that helps when PTO shaft wont slide is The brake plate tab and PTO clutch holder suffer wear. Wondering if your driveline is too long. None of this surprises me. I tried to do it by myself and it was a disaster Also I highly recommend you have a helper to keep the unit straight and apply heat if necessary , All I wanted to accomplish was to replace a leaking shaft seal. If that hole is perpendicular to the center of the driveshaft, then my best guess is that it is threaded and that is a hex drive set screw. S Sam427 New member Equipment I suggest you heat the gear so it will release from shaft and pull easy. I even tried putting some grease on the PTO. In fact, none of the attached equipment will work if it has As the engine RPM rises above 1500, the shaft stops. I have a new B7500 with a mid mount mower. I used a big socket to drive it out. Just maybe I was meant to go down this road of taking the gear off because its seized on, and it shouldn't be. Dave I have a question about the seal bore. If you see your question here on our list, then well give you some troubleshooting options as well as some likely successful tips in the following section of this article. So now I just have a short section of the shaft connected (stuck) to the PTO shaft. { Dave None of this surprises me. "text": "Any advice on how to remove the PTO shaft from the housing? Add to Cart. there. The engagement inside the rear gearbox is not actually being sensed. You might need to try disconnecting the outside rod and using vise grips to exercise the lever. In this section, well provide detailed answers to the questions listed above. The PTO shaft is now removed. When I get that gear off and finally get the shaft out so I can get at the seal I think I'll use a speedi-sleeve with 2 new style SKF seals. Engage the parking brake and turn the ignition key off. You must log in or register to reply here. When I removed the mid mower to use an implement off the rear, it was extremely difficult to release and pull off the mid pto drive shaft. What to do, oh my, what shall we do (with a drunken sailor)? Try what Cat Guy suggest! More than one way to accomplish this . Refrain from forcing or wrestling the shaft away from the tractor by using a chain to tie up the PTO coupler, then driving forward the tractor to disengage the PTO coupler. Moreover, tractors with PTO driveshafts can pull any type of PTO-driven equipment. You can concoct your penetrating oil if you dont want to rely on the WD40. Reach underneath the safety shroud and feel around the implement shaft coupling with your fingers. On a ford this simply pulls out of the tractor. Keep at it. If you are unsuccessful with all these methods, you can find a good grinder to cut everything apart. OrangeTractorTalks brings together Kubota enthusiasts from around the world, into one place, purpose built just for them. If attempted, severe injury or death may occur. Put a strap around the arm of puller so they dont slip off the gear. Pry Bar method to remove PTO shaft stuck on tractor, How to remove a PTO shaft from a tractor : Useful tips, How to Decrease Water Pressure in the Garden Hose, How to Make a Homemade Compost Accelerator, How to test a voltage regulator on a lawn mower, Umbrella for riding lawn mower/universal lawn tractor sunshade. Then work on disconnecting it. The old style seal is very large and thick. I have a question about the seal bore. Yes I know the shaft seal will be a bear to get out even chopped into pieces. The old style seal is very large and thick. Roger is one of our Technicians and has 20+ years of equipment experience. We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. So, it will help to reapply it over and over again. 6' finish mower, 5' bush hog, 2 bottom plow, 6' rear blade, boom pole. That way I could bottom out the bolt before it got against the gear. Mr. You can begin by stepping on the clutch pedal and let your foot stay in that position. We have been learning how to remove a PTO shaft from a I remembered I bought a longer bolt than the original to pull against. "logo": { It will likely come off hard most of the way. Lubes can be particularly effective for stuck tractor PTO Not much fun and still do not have pto out of tractor. "name": "Yesterday's Tractor Co.", None of this surprises me. }. Then how do I pull it out with the shaft in my way? I suggest you heat the gear so it will release from shaft and pull easy. Move them around while prying. With easy online ordering and same day shipping. Last resort is to drill it out and retap with a larger set screw. I'm onto phase 3 with this challenge. The pto shaft is held in the front by a washer and a nut. Still wont budge. Bobby Ford Tractor and Equipment is here to serve you. TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. The seal sits inside that. Likely, though, your PTO is all mechanical and possesses two hand levers. This method may backfire and cause injuries. Put a strap around the arm of puller so they dont slip off the gear. . You must log in or register to reply here. Will post sucess or failure tomorrow. Probably the key is partly sheared inside. There is a snap ring shown on the parts diagram, but it is shown holding a bearing in place that should come out with the rear flange. Praying yours comes off easy . Point taken, except I'd have to burn out the rubber seal and the felt wiper. The onset of rust will indeed happen, especially if the PTO shafts are exposed to moisture, and you dont run the PTO shafts with grease for a long time. Dave I would suggest heavy duty 3 jaw puller located into the three holes of the gear. Look at the practicability, cost, and above all, your safety No go. The shaft should slide off of the PTO splines. "@type": "ImageObject", To remedy such a problem of a PTO shaft getting stuck onto the tractor due to rust, you should lubricate the shaft with enough lubricating oil. If the shaft wont yet be persuaded to get out even after Had to do this to split the tractor. precautionary reasons- gently and see if it will loosen it. Place the vehicle's transmission gear in park. He holds a Business Degree from St. Edwards University, and his interests include fishing, golfing, and playing video games. The PTO shaft provides the implement with mechanical operating power. Do I take the gear off so the shaft comes out the front? wiggle free. I bought a new bolt like the one that holds the gear on. Often the PTO clutching rings and shaft need replaced because people use their tractors to run their 4-5 feet garden tillers and bush hogs without a slip clutch. Shaft comes out towards rear of the tractor, Okay! "url": "https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/graphics/smllogo.png", Orin is an Assembler at Bobby Ford Tractor and Equipment and is currently a student at BCC. They may well be smarter though resulting in less work. I just did the same seal on my Super C. Pull that gear off, mine wasn t terrible. Kameryn also enjoys hunting, fishing, cooking, Texas BBQ, and riding his motorcycle across the country. Ensure the motor isn't running before climbing out of the vehicle by listening and looking at your oil pressure gauge. But you should only employ extreme measures if the splines are already worn-out or twisted. That s what I did, found a couple for $6 each. What's happ. The tin seal once heated would turn red real quick letting it be swagged with a punch while red letting it come out pretty easy with no more fooling around. Stay tuned for episode 3 coming up later. See more. . Thanks. You must log in or register to reply here. Sometimes, you only need to give it a gentle nudge, and it will loosen up. We carry a large selection of Kubota - PTO and Related Parts - PTO Parts - Tractor Parts. When I get that gear off the shaftwhen I meet with Mr.Success again I'm gonna say how very grateful I am and ask to meet him again soon after. recommended maintenance procedures. There are a couple different collar release methods and would suggest you google pto driveshaft or youtube to find what matches your shaft. Depress this button or pin with your thumb. And, of course, its best to call a qualified professional if you fear that youll come unstuck. A fun fact about Chris is that hes a Wyoming Transplant and grew up farming and ranching. I used that pilot hole to center my 3 jaw puller. I think the metal piece you are referring to on the outside is the housing for the seal and doesn't come off. I used a big socket to drive it out. My guess is your PTO shaft is a tad too long. Driveline shop said this was very common. The 3 jaws fit into the holes in the gear. He is in AB Canada, While I am from Dayton Ohio. Dave Thanks, that makes sense. The shaft should slide off of the PTO splines. The 3 jaws fit into the holes in the gear. In this case, work the heat (a torch would suffice for theheat) all around quickly then try to strike the PTO coupling once again all around to help make it move. around the coupler (it could give you modest expansion). I think autozone still rented them . A locking pin or button locks the two together. It will probably need to come out in pieces. All I wanted to accomplish was to replace a leaking shaft seal. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V. If not something has let it go to far on the shaft. Looks like the seal could come out frontwards but I have no way to grab it or push it out. So, I ended up sliding the drive shaft apart to allow removal of the mower deck. picture 2. You "interactionType": "https://schema.org/CommentAction", Mr. An easy pressure test on the control valve would reveal if this is the underlying issue or not. In her free time, she enjoys baking and reading. The manual makes it sound rather easy. Then, dismantle the PTO shield. The seal sits inside that. You should know that the damage to a clutch pack is caused by overloading the PTO with the task its given to power. I drilled a pilot hole(counter sink) in the center of the new bolt. Should I heat the whole housing up? When I say rearword I mean the shaft come out towards the back of the tractor. You need to remove a PTO shaft to disconnect an implement from the tractor. I remembered I bought a longer bolt than the original to pull against. Please use the navigational links to explore our website. That gear is really and truly 'on there'and doesn't want to come off in a conventional way. If your tractor is equipped with an independent PTO, you may go on with the succeeding steps mentioned below. Welcome. You need to rotate gear so they line and then pull the gear carefully off the shaft. The seal sits inside that. Be sure thats not disconnected or bent either. Hes a retired Assistant Chief Fire Fighter, and in his free time, he enjoys spending time with his family and grandkids. This is a crucial reminder, for if you ignore it, you may end up witnessing a terrible accident that may be fatal or injurious to others or yourself. Be sure both collar on the equipment's shaft and the PTO on the tractor is clean. The pully seal was similar difficulty. "@type": "Person", "author": { When shifted one way, it should be free, turning very easily. - YouTube 0:00 / 11:38 KUBOTA front PTO removal! of sitting. Then the pto shaft comes out the back. day or two. Success said he'd be coming by over the weekend. Schedule the oiling and greasing of your implements and the PTO shaft to keep its universal joints in top-notch condition. That's the process of removing and installing a mower deck on a Kubota BX series tractor. In some situations, just gentle hammering will get the stuck Shaft comes out towards rear of the tractor, Okay! Where are you located that might help some of the locals give you names. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. I do have the bushing off the hitch and the shaft into two pieces from the bushing. Do not attempt to wrestle the shaft from the Thanks, that makes sense. I realize there is the collar that needs to be pulled back to release the drive shaft. The three speed pto and power steering have made it more difficult. My pto shaft was shot also. Locate the pin or button that keeps the shaft locked to the tractor. *The implement should be turned off at idle speed only.*. shafts where the cause of the jamming is rust, something which is bound to Youll learn about some necessary identification steps to take and even where to go when service is required. Which way does the PTO shaft come out, front or backwards. Use materials with lubricating However, if the hammering doesnt work, you can apply more momentum to your hammer to wiggle free the stuck PTO shaft. Then the pto shaft comes out the back. Frankly before I would have taken all that apart. For example, demanding a 50 HP tractor for the job of a 65 HP grinder/mixer will quickly cause clutch pack issues. If this isnt enough to make it budge despite all your Camarillo, California Nov 6, 2009 #2 With tractor shut off, reach in under the PTO guard and grab the end of the shaft that slides onto the PTO splines. It will also be good to note that every operator of PTO should have in mind the safety of those around when engaging the PTO. I would have just heated the seal. If floating is the problem, then the brake will be damaged, and it will never stop the way its intended to. You might need to try disconnecting the outside rod and using vise grips to exercise the lever. Be aware and look closely at the amount you can cut down without messing up the integrity of the safety sleeve..otherwise don't alter it. When the tractors PTO driveshaft engages with the implements PTO shaft, the shaft rotates around one thousand times every minute. It's going to be tuff to get that gear off but I have done it. Then how do I pull it out with the shaft in my way? He holds an Associate of Applied Science from Brazosport College. You'll see a safety shroud covering this area.
Carter Lawsuit Against Bladen County Schools, Helen Barbara Nelson Cause Of Death, Chris Walters Berkeley, Western Dental Lawsuit 2021, Articles H