Use the shiny, little marks sewn into the tape that indicate the center of the flat spaces to help ensure that you have a flat bit on each side of your curtain rather than ending with a pleat right at the edge. How Do You Attach Hooks to Rod Pocket Curtains? Buckram is a stiff starched material that is sewn into the header part of the drapes and can be manipulated into different styles of pleats and headings. Using your drapery hooks insert a hook into the heading of your curtain panel at regular intervals (everywhere you want to use a ring, normally panels use 7-9 rings). basement family room Have you ever hemmed your curtains this way? The worst part is lugging the curtains down and then hanging them back up. Thanksgiving Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Self Adhesive Hooks Curtain Rod Bracket Drapery Hook Holders Fixings Rod H^ke at the best online prices at eBay! patio Do Bathroom Lights Need to be GFCI Protected? (How High Should it be). Even if you have curtain panels with a soft top buckram header (a finished drapery panel without pleats) they are still hung with pins. Hope Ive explained that well enough for it to be helpful! Drapery Hardware for Rod Pocket/Flat Panel Draperies. It just occurred to me I was going to get some pleating clips and havent yet so should I wait to hem u til I have those? Once your weights are in the bottom hem this is how your curtains will fall: If yall have stuck with me through this post you deserve an award. I wanted to try this method because even though back tabs do hang nicely on the bar the length wouldnt have been right. Because the fabric touches the drapery rod directly, it can be a bit more difficult to move in comparison to a ring clip or pin hook. Manipulate the tape so it is as close to the top seam as possible and pin in place across the top of the panel. Should I paint or stain my oak kitchen cabinets? Continue I did trim to a 4 hem as I think it looks best that way and these are staying for a long time!! Put up Curtains: Slide the rod into the brackets and add the rings onto the rod (if using). Push the hooks into each curtain seam. Rings first, put up the rod, hang the curtain panel. Once your hooks are in the header and added to the rings your top should look like this: The other thing that will help off the rack curtains is adding drapery weights to the hem. On the curtain, mark where the floor/carpet meets the wall/baseboard with a pin. NOTE: I should note here that you don't need to un-do the existing hem (unless you really, really want to). This would make your curtain look more beautiful and elegant when hanged on the rails. This post is all about how I used off the rack curtain panels to make them feel more like drapes. I made it even easier by using my fabric pen rather than pins. And you may even tend to put it off and off and off because it seems too hard or youre worried youll get it wrong. Subtract 1/2 inch and double the measurement this is the maximum space acceptable between drapery pins if the bottom of the carrier rests below the rod. More at http://homewindowscreens.com I just cant thank you enough, sheer genius! As a result, the fabric may slip out of the clips. I know that sounds lame, but in our last house, we had them pinned up the ENTIRE time, and not one person (including myself) ever noticed. the rings with hooks are attached, slip the rings onto the curtain rod and You might end up with a faux pleat (if your fabric is thin enough) but it will ultimately push the header down at an angle, which is also not as clean of a look. Its very easy to work with and weve had absolutely no sag issues. By adding a drapery weight they will naturally lay straighter and youll avoid the odd curtain wisps to the sides. Hope your week is off to a great start!Megan. Hi. For example, if you insert your prongs in every other vertical pocket on the pleating tape, the prongs gather the fabric in tight pleats. Pencil pleat or pinch pleat curtains use hooks or rings to attach the curtain to the rod (32mm gather hooks are suitable for rod sets with rings). Otherwise, you may find that the hooks tear and damage the fabric. I MUST measure that, I MUST make precise cuts on something that doesnt ever show That means I often dont do projects I would like to do because I just dont have it in me to be that precise all the time. A casing sewn onto the back of the curtain panel at the top allows the rod to slip through unseen. Save yourself the frustration! Can You Hang Back Tab Curtains With Hooks? Can You See Through Light Filtering Shades at Night? When we moved into this house just over a year ago, there were high quality, custom drapes hanging on this door. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. amzn_assoc_asins = "B007WDTYSM,B07CPKJMYH,B005XQC9I2,B01G40M0DE,B07JDZNHP1,B00S9NK22Q,B073H746Q2,B07GY18L96"; Most of us are familiar with what a curtain ring is. Now check your email to confirm your subscription. Long-neck pinhooks have a hook set about 1/2 inch below the top of your curtain, while short-neck pinhooks have the hook set 1 inch to 2 inches below the top edge of the curtain to hide the traverse rod. Tired of never getting it right, I decided to hem my curtains the way my Mom used to hem my pants: instead of taking my pants up XX all the way around, shed have me put them on and would then pin them up so that they fell to the same height all the way around. Twist the shaft of the turnbuckle clockwise to tighten it until the wire is taut. Not only would you find it easy to move the curtains, but your room would also have another beautiful look and great ambiance. First World Problems: What to do about my living room curtain rods, Cloth Diapering 101: How to use cloth diapers (And how to clean cloth diapers! dining room decor Attach hooks an inch down to ensure the hooks don't show when you hang the curtains. You don't want the hook to poke through to the other side or you will see the metal from the front of your curtain once it is hung. One straight, pointed end of the pin is inserted into the back of the drapes, and the other end is hooked through a hole in the carrier. Your email address will not be published. Starting from the end and working your way in is the best way to ensure you don't miss any links. How to Make Yourself Fart to Relieve Gas (11 Best Ways), 100 Two Colour Combination for Bedroom Walls (With Images), 50 Orange Two Colour Combination for Bedroom Walls. Step 10: Attach to the Curtain Rod. Id then have to pull out the hems to let them down or take them up more. Take the hook and insert the sharp side into the seam of the curtain. They werent exact but I went ahead and got them so that at least I had something there while I figured out the rod and curtain situation. And I have been sewing for 50 years. This worked great for unlined drapes. If you dont want to use header tape, or dont have access to a sewing machine, simply slide your pinhooks up into the rod pocket. If there is a seam without a hook, you've lost one! Your curtain rod style will depend on your personal decor and the type of drapery you are using. Can you tell me what brand/style of curtains you have? Well done! However, iron-on products are rarely removable, and I always like to have the option to take my hem out! I laid out my curtain panels and got to work inserting the drapery hooks. First, I removed the hooks from the original drapery panels. The important part is that you gave them your drapery hang a wider hem which hangs better, gives weight, and looks better as you apparently already know. Before you hem your curtains, hang your curtain rod(s) to your preferred height, and go ahead and put your curtains onto the rod. Insert your drapery weight. thanks for sharing your tips. Curtain rods can pose a problem if you plan to open the curtains on a regular basis. Instead, it will go down into the layers that form the pleater tape pocket. Pivot and stitch across 1/4 inch to the other side of the placement pin; pivot and stitch up to the top of the panel. Hang panels. I find it very frustrating when buying draperies that the panels are rarely even. As you rotate the shaft, it will shift further down the threads on the eye end, creating more tension on the wire. Hi, I have an issue with my hooks on my drapes. Cut away the excess tape to just inside the side hems of the panel, but do not cut the cords. There are many ways to hem, your method is great. Thanks to my husbands career, we have moved 9 times in the last 16 years, and Ive made it my personal mission to decorate, organize, and re-imagine each rental space until it feels like home. Just made a 1/4 mark instead of using pins, lessening the chance of getting pricked as usually happens with an unwieldy piece of cloth. Run your hand to the edge of the bottom hem and using the seam ripper open up about a 1 inch section of the hem. Measure the curtain width and cut a piece of pleating tape to match. Hold your drapery up to the curtain rod and insert your first hook into a plastic slide. Use Metal Clip-On Rings. Your email address will not be published. DIY Fire Pit Area Round Up & Bonfire Hosting Ideas! Now insert the pin hook about 1 cm from the side edge. Happy Weekend! Your email address will not be published. They make curtains look good, stylish and also keep them strong in their place. Pulling on the cords pleats the fabric. Rather, I focus on making a line of pins that meet the same place on the wall/floor when the curtain hangs straight down. If you are making 10 pleats, ensure you get 10 pin hooks for the 10 pleats with additional 2 pins at each end, making it 12 hooks. You may end up with curtains that are too long as the fabric may become longer over those 2 weeks. Most people make the mistake of hanging them right at the top of the window frame. The diameter of the all-metal rod is 3/4 inches and easily adjusts telescopically to fit windows. Getting it right the first time would add more impression on the room and create a good ambiance at the same time. Im going to see if you have any tips about making shades. Any idea how to do a rod that would turn the corner in a room with windows on both sides? This will allow you to see if you need to adjust the hook. The rod length adjusts from, so you can use them in any size window. I am just about to attempt this after reading give time. Your email address will not be published. basement renovation ideas I needed the extra length of the ring for the curtains to be the right distance from the floor. Has anyone else had that problem? You will need a seam ripper or something to open just a few stitches. The general guideline is to attach clips every 2 to 4 inches. Either way your hooks and weights are done and your curtains are ready! hang the curtains. The goal is for the clip not to be exposed when you turn the curtain over and hang it. fall Stitch 1 1/2 inches, from the top of the panel toward the bottom of the heading tape, 1/8 inch on one side of the first placement pin. She is also the Co-owner of Elegant Domain Interiors LLC, a business that offers design consulting, home staging, and window treatments. If you plan on opening and closing your curtains regularly to let light in or for privacy, then hook curtains are your best option. Those curtain rings are totally fine, but coming from the previously discussed drapery situation I knew I needed something cleaner looking than how the clip looks. attaching rings with hooks where you marked with chalk at the same level. That is the major reason why you cannot use hooks to hang back tab . One drawback to rod pocket curtains is that they are difficult to open. Like a rod pocket, hidden tabs are great for panels you won't be moving often. This gives the inside of your hem a clean edge rather than a frayed, tattered edge. You can certainly use heat-n-bond tape under your hem here to make this a no-sew project. To attach curtain clip rings to rod pocket curtains: Remove the curtains from the curtain rod. The construction of drapes includes heading tape that reinforces the fabric against the pull of the pins, so with careful insertion into the heading tape, the pins will not be visible from the front of the drape. For that project, I'll be retro-fitting grommet style panels so it will require a couple of extra steps. As such, I use the current hem as the finished inside edge of my new hem. This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}. How to Prevent and Fix Cracked Tiles, Difference Between Bathroom Water and Kitchen Water. The heavier the curtains, the closer you should attach the curtain clip rings. Also, ensure that you hang a pin on each hook to make it look pinch pleat. Some curtains shrink a lot, so if you anticipate washing your curtains regularly, go ahead and pre-wash them before you hem them! tablescapes The heavier the material, the closer you should space the hooks. Rings first, put up the rod, hang the curtain panel. Thi. You can give your curtains a very slight pull to make sure the rod supports their weight, but do not tug hard. Then slide the curtains onto the rod (pocket style curtains) or hook the curtains to the rings (pleated style curtains). Pin the pleating tape across the top of the curtain at the desired height. Curtain clips work best with medium to lightweight curtain fabrics. Stitch 1 1/2 inches, from the top of the panel toward the bottom of the heading tape, 1/8 inch on one side of the first placement pin. Cylinder pleats can be single or grouped, and, like pencil pleats are rounded rather than crisply creased. This needs to be a little wider than your drapery tape. Required fields are marked *. Although my methods might not be the official way to do it, my curtains look great and they get DONE, which is most important of all! Keep in mind that attaching curtain rings using clips (or hooks) adds to the length of the curtains. Mallory. Absolutely the best tip I have ever come across! I also have been learning how to use drapery hooks, and they dont work with the rings with clips. This is a very smart way to get the job done! The temporary stuff doesnt hold long-term and the permanent stuff cant be undone! Can you hang curtains with command strips? Fold over an inch or so and press. This is a lot easier with two people. curtains from the curtain rod. Very heavy curtains may cause strain on the clips. Yes, curtain hooks can be used on rod pocket curtains because they make the curtains easier to be used and moved at any time. Megan, love the tip for hemming drapes! Work your way across the entire curtain panel in 8-10 intervals, always making sure that the curtain is pulled straight down before marking your desired location with a pin. Roll it up and either hand-stitch it to the pleating tape or tuck it into the pocket between the pleating tape and the curtain fabric. When using curtain hooks, it's important to ensure that the rod pocket is reinforced. thanks. By creating an account you agree to the Hunker, Hanging Non-Pinch-Pleated Drapes on a Traverse Rod, How to Use Drapery Pins With an Unpleated Drapery Panel, How to Add Blackout Lining to Roman Shades, Sew4Home: Drapery Tapes: The Fastest Way to Finish Curtains. Thank you for your wonderful tutorial. Dining Room This is pretty brilliant. Attach drapery hooks to each pleat of the curtain & each end of the curtain (if needed). A rod pocket consists of a pocket at the top of the curtain panel that slips over and conceals the curtain rod. Following the various methods and formats of fixing both curtain hooks and rod pocket curtains together would add additional beauty to your room and make it look more elegant. how to decorate a thrift store christmas tree You can attach the clips in a manner that enhances how the curtain falls and looks. I simply slid the sharp end of the hook into ONE LAYER of the rod pocket on the back side of the curtain. What is nice about stores like Tuesday Morning & Home Goods is that they sell curtains in sets of 2. Thrifting. The curtain panels can then be bunched as tightly or as loosely as you want depending on the type of look you desire. You may be reading this and thinking, Ok, but what is a drapery hook?. Thanks so much! Step 3: Iron Hem In Place. I have two kids and very little time or patience to sit and stitch teeny openings on 8 curtain panels so if youre Klassy like me dig out your stapler and throw a staple there. Thank you so much for sharing your experience, and Im so glad it worked well for you. Finally, simply attach the brackets to the wall, hang your curtains on the rod, and then place the rod in the brackets. Skip two pockets for larger, looser pleats, and so on. Remember that curtain hooks are sharp at one end. Getting a good blend of curtains fixed in a room can transform the room and make it look good, classy, and more beautiful. Next, decide where you want the bottom of your curtains to land. Great how to information I will be using in the future. Sadly, they did not match my style. Therefore, it is possible to use curtain hooks on rod pocket curtains for your room. Maintain a consistent height and position for all of the pins. Very happy with the final result. diy tutorials Measure 4 inches, and place another drapery hook. Turn Ikea Ritva Curtains into Pinch Pleat . Do not pierce the curtain, rather let it be fixed down into the layers that make the pleater tape pocket. Thank you for you wonderful article!!! Indicate pin placement marks along the top of the back of the drapes by inserting a straight pin, perpendicular to the top edge, equidistant across the panel. Armed with a gift card I hit up all of my local Home Goods, Marshalls, and TJ Maxx stores but couldnt find panels I liked enough that had enough of the panels I needed. In short, I didnt iron my drapes at all! amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; I always keep all the extra length in tact because I often need to re-adjust our curtains in future houses. By signing up you are agreeing to receive emails according to our privacy policy. The third step is to measure the height of the tab top drapes. (If your curtain is really wrinkled, go ahead and iron the whole thing now before proceeding.) Thank you for this. And although there are lots of similar tutorials out there on the subject, I want to share my foolproof and super simple method for getting your curtains to hang at just the right length, every time, the first time! Pull the cords out of tape at the side edges. My only shade tutorialis this one:https://thehomesihavemade.com/2017/05/diy-faux-roman-shades/ Hang the drapes by inserting the pins through the carriers on the traverse rod. Get your curtain rings and drapery hooks ready to go. Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. So, can you use curtain hooks on rod pocket curtains? There is one thing stopping us though budget. Hi Andrea! wikiHow is where trusted research and expert knowledge come together. This creates a long pocket at the top where you can push the curtain rod through, hiding the rod from view. How To Grow An Avocado Tree - The Lazy Way! Halloween Make a narrow hem on either side of your curtain panel. Develop the tech skills you need for work and life. Or if you dont care at all then leave it open. To achieve the fullness in the room photo above, I used six grommet panels - three on each side of my window. They're designed to slide back and forth easily, making them ideal for functionality. Determine the number of clip rings per panel required by measuring the width of each panel. They portray an easy and simple look in the room. Rod pocket curtains - These curtains do not need hooks as the rod slides into the pocket at the top of the curtain. Guest Bathroom With Toilet Closet Makeover, How to Build a Hula Hoop Shelf A Stylish Storage Solution, Pennsylvania House (Circa 1969) Dining Table Revival, W/TUTORIAL. How to Pin Drapery Hooks: DIY Drapery Hardware Tutorial. I'd like to receive the free email course. There are several types of curtain rods: decorative, double rods, concealed rods, traverse rods . I, too, see a room as finished when lovely fabric surrounds the windows. The drapes connect to these carriers by an N-shaped pin, called a drapery pin. If it is not possible to check between the layers, lay the tape along the wrong side of the panel and pin in place. Round pin-on hooks have a rounded top that slides on a cafe or sash rod, allowing pinch-pleated curtains to be used without the standard traverse rod or rod and rings hardware. The Curtain Shop Braddock Jacobean Damask Drape. Im all about a blind stitch foot! Fold the hem along the pin line wrong-sides together, as shown below. When you learn these simple tweaks for how to hang curtains with hooks your curtains will instantly look better. Then I had my lightbulb moment! Now that weve covered the differences between drapes and curtains lets talk about what all of us middle-class-regular-house people can do to get the best results from our off the shelf curtain panels. Curtain rings are another popular choice for hanging drapes. Repeat this process and mark all the places you are putting the pin into. Support the fabric while allowing the edge to drop. 4. Many drapery panels are available with multiple-use options such as tabs and rod pockets. Can I ask how you ironed your drapes to produce those nice, crisp pleats? The first step is to measure the width of the rod. NowI came up with this method for hemming curtains for a few reasons. Can a Bathroom Ceiling Fan be Mounted on a Wall? How to Use Contact Paper to Make a Beautiful Privacy Window. Making the decision of adding a hook on the rod pocket curtains will not only turn the simple into extraordinary but would transform the look of the room and make it easier to use. While making the spacing, mark the hooks in the middle and get the curtain folded on either side and mark them. 2023 The Homes I Have Made Design by Purr. You must ensure that the pin hooks are exactly of the same size and shape. It gives the illusion that your ceilings are higher than they actually are, and it looks more dramatic. Hi Vanessa! Place the curtain flat with the wrong side facing up and fix one curtain hook right inside the pocket of the pleater tape. [4] 5. I just train them, as I outline in THIS post. Twopages Solid Thermal Blackout Drape. Pin the drapery hook to the fabric's backside. In my living room I needed 84 panels. First, as I said, even if I measured precisely and checked it twice, without fail Id go to put up my newly hemmed curtains and theyd still be too long or too short. Easy DIY Upgrade amzn_assoc_linkid = "86bb87bae76ad9795684f702e970f754"; I see very clever refreshed furniture from yesteryear in your homes, and I love it! Pivot and stitch across 1/4 inch to the other side of the placement pin; pivot and stitch up to the top of the panel. When we bought the house we inherited professional drapery (and alllllllll the hardware that came with it). Ensure that the pin hook is not obvious from the right side and repeat the same method for the other end of the header. I have always admired the elevated look of custom drapery hung with drapery hooks and rings. Repeat this on the other side of the curtain panel (each panel should have 2 weights, one on each bottom corner). So I needed to buy six packs of clip rings. Does that make sense? Over time we realized that someday we do want professional drapes put back into the living room. Use it to try out great new products and services nationwide without paying full pricewine, food delivery, clothing and more. If you want your curtains to hang 1 off the floor, you can adapt this method by using a yardstick instead of the wall/floor to place your pins. Step 3. Paired with the addition of drapery weights curtains will hang straighter too! Place the curtain RIGHT SIDE DOWN with the bottom of the curtain sitting on the ironing board. Be warned--the sharp end of the hook is sharp! amzn_assoc_title = "How to Hang Curtains with Hooks and Rings"; wikiHow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws. Yall have been with me during my very-first-world-problem of my living room curtains. , Thank you for adding all these images. I will be using your tip for that issue also! Seasonal Decor I hope you guys love this curtain hemming hack as much as I do! amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; Before sewing your hem in place, iron your hem fold to give it a nice, neat crease. Mark where the four-prong pinhooks go with a fabric marker when youre counting off spaces so that you can easily find your place again if you get interrupted or distracted, remembering that each hook has four prongs. This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/4\/4c\/Hang-Curtains-with-Hooks-Step-6.jpg\/v4-460px-Hang-Curtains-with-Hooks-Step-6.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/4\/4c\/Hang-Curtains-with-Hooks-Step-6.jpg\/aid11257226-v4-728px-Hang-Curtains-with-Hooks-Step-6.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\u00a9 2023 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. It is a ring that slides onto the curtain rod and many times has a little clip hanging off of the bottom of it so you can clip your curtain panel to it.

Castration Anxiety Mulvey, Docusign Export Custom Fields, Jessa Seewald House Address, Was Country Joe Mcdonald In The Military, Articles H