(insert drum roll here) Mike Cooper will be filling in for Darren B Lamb while he's away! Correction - January 11, 2016: This article was edited from a previous version that mistakenly said Mike Cooper's last show was on Friday. CHFI-FM (98.1 MHz) is a commercial FM radio station in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. When I can combine them all, I feel I am right where I should be. Maureen, if you're reading this, there is life after CHFI. The second highlight was [working at] CFTR, a struggling radio station with great management and great talent. CHFI-FM can also be heard on these low-power transmitters: This page is not available in other languages. [Mark Twain]. Success! Sure, there were lots of wonderful moments, but its the overall picture, the one that has been painted in bright colours of laughter and framed in a great big heart, that I cherish most. when CHFI asked Erin to come back in the fall of '05, her new friend Mike was not far behind, and the two continued . Finally, during a commercial, as Mike was wrapping up the advertising dialogue, a guy walks into the studio, an argument and struggle occurs and ends with gun shots, screams and dead air. For this writer, it filled me with many good memories. Main Photo Credit:CHFI File Photo. Copyright 2021 Real Family Productions Inc. I awarded the Bee Gees their first gold record back in the day. Theyre gone. Ive taken care of millions of people over the years and now its time to take care of one: my beloved wife and childhood sweetheart Debbie, Cooper said in a prepared statement. A new CHFI morning show will be announced shortly. He said How would you like to go to a real radio station and see what happens?, My father was a lineman for Hamilton Hydro, and he really wanted me to be a grunt: he wanted me to be a cop, to work for the hydro company. [The station beat perennial ratings leader CHUM AM, a station widely credited with inventing rock radio in Toronto]. It means the world to us and, of course, so does our dear friend, her Uncle Ian. I took out one guy, and when the others ran like thieves in the night I picked up my knapsack, headed down the CNE and I was walking home. If you subscribe to the CHFI newsletter, youll probably have seen a tribute to Ian from his daughter Ava. You're fired, would you like to come back? As always, you can watch a video version of this journal on my Facebook page, or here on YouTube. A veteran radio personality and a leader in Toronto broadcasting, Cooper will continue to host Coop's Classics Saturday evenings on CHFI. For Toronto's all-news radio station that began as CHFI, see, http://assets.numeris.ca/Downloads/2016-17_07_Radio_ME_TorontoToplineRadio.pdf, Pop goes the station as CHFI pulls plug on Beautiful Music, Morning man heads for the sunset; Don Daynard leaving popular CHFI radio show, 'Dandy' Don Daynard rides off into sunrise; CHFI's popular morning host retires after 47 years in the radio business, "Erin Davis Departs as Mad Dog & Billie Join CHFI", Mad Dog and Billie change dials: Morning radio hosts join CHFI; chance to reach more listeners, Message from PD Julie Adam regarding morning show change. No one will fill those big shoes, or strangely little chair. I dont actually remember what happened back there. Chris Powell Listen to Mike Coopers Retirement Announcement on CHFI here: https://soundcloud.com/981chfi/mike-cooper-announcement. Today was Mos last show on CHFI. I appears as if Mike is gone again, as well as producer Gord Rennie. You see, I began with CHFI in 1988. . Thank you! Maureen hosted the afternoon drive show on Q107, a deep dive into her extensive Toronto radio career, Here she is playing her ten favourite songs of all-time, a complete overhaul of The Fan 590 lineup, Next Post : How to play Canada's Lotto 6/49, What Happened to Scott MacArthur? Hot Topix Theme. She never abandoned the positive outlook she always brought to everything. In Fridays message, Mike referred to Debbie as his tender morsel of passionfruit and his first love. He had a special feature, The 5:10 Stoopid Joke of the Day, which over time, lead to a published book of compiled submissions over the years. We were unable to log you in. There are 3500+ professionals named "Mike Cooper", who use LinkedIn to exchange information, ideas, and opportunities. Share to More [PHOTO: 98.1 CHFI] Our hearts are broken Mike Cooper's wife, Deborah, has passed away at the age of 66. Then the insanity of the past few yearsand lovely Mo and Mike, of course,which brings us to today. (Yes, Im admitting this. to colleagues, clients or customers, or inquire about Cooper was born in Reading, England in 1942. A veteran radio personality of 45 years and a leader in Toronto broadcasting, Mike gathers with his co-workers, friends and family at the Mill Street Beer Hall and Brew Pub in the Historic Distillery District.\rdaytime Toronto takes you on a behind the scenes tour of the event and we get to speak with one of the finest radio hosts in the business. Initially inspired by New Orleans and Dixieland jazz, he played in skiffle groups during the late '50s. No drama or long goodbyes. Before sharing the morning show marquee, Cardoso was an entertainment reporter, traffic reporter . You need to enable JavaScript to run this app. Youre not one to hold on to all the accolades. Then they got another hug before they left.. Fresh out of school, he landed his first radio job at CKAT-FM in North Bay, then a short gig in Ottawa, before rocking the airwaves of Toronto at 1050 CHUM AM in the mid-1970s. Like and follow 98.1 CHFI for the latest in entertainment plus local news and events. Our boss Bob Wood had a DJ meeting and said I can guarantee you a washer and a dryer and a car. My hand shot up. The time I killed myself back in 1975 working for CHUM. They have been together since they were 15 years old. Thank you, Mike, for 45 amazing and unforgettable years in radio! [14][15] On October 1, 2021, Maureen Holloway announced she would be leaving the station,[16] with Lamb having had his last appearance earlier in the year (Lamb has since retired). maybe the whole cow, and he kind of quit on the spot. I was searching among the clippings and magazines, pictures preceding my time at CHFI, which began in 1988. 211 Pritchard Road, Unit 4, Hamilton ON L8J 0G5. Itll be virtual and Ill be recording an acceptance, which is a bummer, but of course Im still grateful. Its not the reason Im leaving, but it just was a huge wake-up call for us, that every time you think that youre going to live forever, you get humbled by life itself. I struggled the best I could. I remember well that Erin dressed as Elton John and Mike Cooper was wearing a slightly tight fitting, powder blue tuxedo. He was the creator of the 5:10 "Stupid joke of the day" during his time at 680 CFTR. Bringing Jay and Billie on for mornings backfired on CHFI, as the station's ratings declined. January 13, 2016, Radio host Mike Cooper announced his retirement from CHFI last week, capping a 45-year career in radio broadcasting. Cooper will continue to host Coops Classics Saturday evenings on 98.1 CHFI. That kind of answers this question, but what are your post-retirement plans? They have created a beautiful family and wonderful life together. Cooper started playing guitar shortly after leaving school in 1958. With a voice like mine, I sound really good-looking. It was really a reason to be somebody, to try and entertain people. I didnt know we also had to be writers and editors. Theyre in a plastic bin underneath the steps at the cottage. Copyright 2022 Canadian Beats Media. Im sure this came as a shock to many of the stations loyal listeners. studies In the middle of a live commercial, listeners heard the sound of a door opening, an argument, then several gun shots. While Cooper was fired for the bit, he was allowed to work his way back on air with fill-in jobs for other announcers. Liked. By: Linda Heldman What will you miss most about morning radio? He did a good job with it - still remember the old oldies show with Don Daynard as a young one and its almost a CHFI staple to have a classics show on saturday nights, although Coopers classics was basically the same thing as listening to Boom. See the complete profile on LinkedIn and discover Mike's connections and jobs at similar companies. It was always good to see and chat with all the stations on-air personalities and staff. In 1962, an AM counterpart, CHFI (1540 AM) was added, which originally simulcast CHFI-FM's programming. As always, you can watch a video version of this journal on my Facebook page, or here on YouTube (if theres an ad there, thank Motown!). Forty-five years is a long time to do anything [and] getting up at the crack of stupid every single morning really takes it toll. The station first signed on the air on February 1, 1957. In June 2003, CHFI, competing closely with rival adult contemporary station CJEZ, revamped their morning show to attract younger listeners. It seemed the whole city was behind him! Just a thought Let us be thankful for the fools. I remember getting to say hello to him, wishing him well for his remain days to go and giving him a hug. We thought we were going to be just fine, that we were going to die in bed holding hands at 85-years old after two hours of rigorous sex, and then we heard the word cancer. That changed everything. (In 1974, host Todd Russell died and was replaced by Sandy Hoyt.) She was flitting around with other chemo chairs and patients like a hummingbird, just making sure that everybody was OK, Davis added. Bob Magee took over Daynard's position on December 13, 1999.[5][6][7]. Instead of taking care of millions of people every single day, Im going to take care of one, and thats Debbie, and shes going to take care of me. I got sued for assault and battery because I hit [his would-be assailant] with a crescent wrench. But of all those 45 years, the true highlight of my entire career was the 10 years Ive spent with Erin Davis on 98.1 CHFI. I want to share with you a story or two about a guy a pillar at CHFI whos leaving the only job he ever had, today. 3,058 talking about this. 98.1 CHFI (@981CHFI) October 1, 2021. So Mike and the family would like to thank everybody who has offered their support and their kindness at this terrible time.. In this segment from daytime Toronto, we visit an event held for Mike Cooper as he retires as Co-Host of Erin and Mike in the Morning on 98.1 CHFI. In June 2005, CHFI management fired Jay and Billie, rehired Davis for mornings (who returned on September 6), and also hired Mike Cooper as her co-host on October 26 after his contract with CJEZ expired. There was screaming and a thumping sound. [10][11] At the same time, the station returned to using the point on the station's ID, returned to its soft AC format, and switched its slogan to "Toronto's Lite Favourites. View email address. After a decade of delighting Torontonians with his wit, wisdom and charm, Mike Cooper will sign off as co-host of 98.1 CHFI's Erin and Mike in the Morning on January 29, 2016. (In 1984, Compeau would become program director of classical station CFMX-FM and use this same format for its overnight program.) I love how it is progressing and Im thankful that I can be a small part of it. He's filling in during Darren's absence and just doing a fantastic job, having a great . From riding his way to a Guinness World Record at the CNE, to being an essential figure in positioning Erin and Mike in the Morning as one of Torontos most beloved morning radio shows, Cooper has used his creativity and experience to connect with local audiences. She visited Christopher in Mexico and watched pastel sunsets.. They worked it all out. 28K views, 426 likes, 136 loves, 560 comments, 42 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from 98.1 CHFI: Today was Mo's last show on CHFI. Some Sad News From Our CHFI Family. But theres one thing they cant teach you in college, and that is true personality. It didnt end well for the station or Mike. The highlight was first getting into radio at a radio station in North Bay called CKAT FM back in 1970. August 6, 2021 Erin's Journals. No more age limit! We do more laughing before 7 a.m. than most people will do in an entire year. Out. In this segment from daytime Toronto, we visit an event held for Mike Cooper as he retires as Co-Host of Erin and Mike in the Morning on 98.1 CHFI. A veteran radio personality of 45 years and a leader in Toronto broadcasting, Mike gathers with his co-workers, friends and family at the Mill Street . The record wasnt that important to me, the notoriety was. For this writer, it filled me with many good memories. I went to Westdale Secondary School. But regardless, I will be tuning in.Coop's Classics now airs 8PM to Midnight on CHFI. Why did you choose to embark on a career in radio? I hear it now and I hate it. He Moved to Nova Scotia, April 2023 Memorial Episode: Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 1246, Toronto Maple Leafs Advance to 2nd Round - Beat Lightning in 6, Sean Menard: Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 1245, Martin Streek Remembered ~ A Tribute to Martin Streek, Pandemic Fridays with Stu Stone and Cam Gordon. In addition . Standing up to people and standing up to bosses kind of made me a local hero to other broadcasters, who always wanted to do that. To order copies of So how is that a worst moment if its part of your legend? On November 9, 2016, Erin Davis announced she would be retiring from CHFI on December 15, and would be moving to British Columbia to be closer to her family. Im not a big fan of following the rules, but I am a company man. The password you have provided is incorrect. Coopers courage in battling cancer began in 2013, but all that stopped on Oct. 23 when she passed away at 66, leaving a heartbroken husband Mike, also 66, after 50 years together. He worked at some of the best stations with CHFI, CHUM, CKGM, CFTR, EZ Rock and maybe a few others I forgot. Longtime local radio personality Mike Cooper is hanging up his earphones as co-host of 98.1 CHFI 's "Erin and Mike in the Morning show.". In September 2004, Erin Davis was hired by CJEZ as a fill-in co-host, working alongside Mike Cooper. 1, 1976, he talked on air about getting odd phone calls from a threatening man. My job was to talk on the radio, but now it has evolved and I fell behind in social media, I fell behind with Facebook and Twitter. For another, I dont need to get nervous about remembering peoples names or screwing up a speech. You can go the internet and get it, but we do it in a warm and personal way. He co-hosted the morning show along with Christine Cardoso. Well, until now. [Meister Eckhart]. Whether this will be noted in the show or not is the other question. I had a lawyer by the name of Julian Porter [who would serve as TTC Commissioner through 1987]. We laugh all the time in the studio, but does anybody else? Eventually, CHFI eliminated nearly all instrumental music, and instituted a soft adult contemporary format. The Backsteet Boys had their first hit 26 years ago. If you missed it, most memorable good-byes and Ill never be able to. "I don't take back a . They did not hear the disclaimer at the end of the prank. As well, some upbeat, rhythmic material was also added, while softer artists such as Air Supply were largely dropped from the station's playlist. CHFI-FM pioneered the "beautiful music" format in Canada. Was there a moment or a personality that steered you towards your career? I hate stupid management, and Ive had some very stupid program directors. Learn all about Mike Cooper on AllMusic. Listen Live: http://player.chfi.com/ Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/981chfi Follow us . Compeau also created the popular Classics 'til Dawn, an overnight program of popular classical music. JOIN THE CONVERSATION. It was April 1st, 1976. [1], CHFI-FM has an effective radiated power (ERP) of 44,000 watts. I would do it and not care. Today Ian The General MacArthur says good-bye, after 30 years of helming the CHFI Morning Show with me, Don Daynard, then Bob Magee, Jay and Billie, then me again, but with Mike Cooper, and Ians new-found little brother, our tech producer, the wonderful Gord Rennie. I second Radio Aaron's thoughts. My name is Linda and I have been a fan of Canadian Music for as long as I can remember. She agreed, with one condition; that Mike Cooper would become her morning co-host. I loved War of the Worlds and thats where I got the idea. Several seconds later, Mike returns to the microphone and says April Fools!. I did an April Fools joke where a guy who had been taunting me all day long on April Fools Day worked his way into the studio. Of course, theres a time for appreciation and reflection, but thats for someone else to do. Happy Easter and Ill have a new journal for you on Tuesday of next week after the holiday Monday. Scroll down under Classic Audio and look for the heading Mike Cooper 1976. PJ, Toronto Mike's episode 1004 with Mike Cooper. Julie Adam General Manager/Program Director 98.1 CHFI bkwon: The cat is out of the bag. . But where are the other 50? As I got older, I was a little more cautious [laughs], but when I was a young broadcaster I was ruthless. I had an M1 rife pointed at my head through the studio door and they wanted to know where the gun was, and I had to explain that it was an April Fools joke. Listen to Pooja & Gurdeep all week at 6AM and play 'Is This You?' for a chance to # WIN a pair of tickets to see Alanis Morissette on June 10th! CHFI also initially provided a special Muzak-like background audio service, playing soft instrumental music for offices and retail outlets in the city. Maureen was co-hosting the CHFI morning show with Darren B. Lamb, who hasn't actually been heard on the show this year. With her incessant juicing, and putting turmeric on everything, Cooper was described by her husband as a hummingbird around different beds of cancer patients at the hospital. Okay, he did have another job: he drove the van for the Pickle Barrel in his teens until he took a corner too fast and a door flew open. You need to enable JavaScript to run this app. Why are you choosing to retire now? The email address you have provided does not exist in our database. It doesnt get any better than this, Cooper said of the moments he shared with her while working on radio. [Orson Welles] panicked an entire nation and he kept saying that this is April Fools Day so something could happen that isnt real. Anyone can read Conversations, but to contribute, you should be a registered Torstar account holder. presentation-ready copies of Toronto Star content for distribution He started something called Radio Westdale a little closed-circuit radio station in the cafeteria. A few photos were snapped of the happy couple. This brought CJEZ's ratings up dramatically, beating CHFI in several target audience demographics. I know how just about every game on the midway works and theyve got you, I tell you.. Don had been there for a year, having been lured over from 99.9 CKFM. And THANK YOU. Mike was on air and at several breaks, mentioned about getting calls from a guy making threats to him. Please provide both your email address and password. "[12][13] This turned around CHFI's popularity, as the station reclaimed the top spot in the Toronto ratings, while CJEZ's ratings fell. If this is it tonight for Mike Cooper on air, congratulations to him on a great career! 09 A B C D E F G H Wikipedia, Mike Emrick Mike Doc Emrick Born August 1, 1946 (1946 08 01) (age65) La Fontaine, Indiana Occupation Sports commentator Wikipedia, Mike Wallace (journalist) Mike Wallace Born Myron Leon Wallace May 9, 1918 (1918 05 09) (age93) Brookline, Massachusetts, US Occupation Wikipedia, Mike Schmidt Third baseman Born: September 27, 1949 (1949 09 27) (age62) Dayton, Ohio Wikipedia, Mike Eruzione Born October 25, 1954 (1954 10 25) (age57) Winthrop, MA, USA Height Wikipedia, Mike Hubbard (politician) Mike Hubbard 65th Speaker of the Alabama House of Representatives Incumbent Assumed office 2011 Governor Robert Bentley Preceded by Seth Hammett Wikipedia, Mike Stephenson for the rugby union footballer, see Michael Stephenson (rugby union) Michael Mike Stephenson, also commonly known as Stevo, (born 27 January 1947 in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire) is an English Rugby League World Cup winning Rugby League, and Wikipedia.
Noise Curfew In Fontana, Ca, The Power Of Situations By Ross And Nisbett Summary, Articles M