You arent alone. Before the program was over, hed scored a job at WKLJ in Sparta, Wis., less than 20 miles from the home farm. I tend to wait until tomorrow, but she said, Look at this now, because we dont wait, Orion recalls. [2], Politically, Samuelson supported the production of ethanol fuel from corn, to help American farmers.[8]. Farm Report in 1975 andThis Week in AgriBusinessin 2005. On the lighter side, Samuelson and a studio group dubbed the "Uff da Band" once recorded covers of Yogi Yorgesson's novelty songs I Yust Go Nuts at Christmas and Yingle Bells. "But I had a lot of help, thanks to Ward Quaal, [the WGN president and general manager] who hired me, and a lot of the other great names Ive worked with and learned from." Some of our partners may process your data as a part of their legitimate business interest without asking for consent. McDonald now is a TV reporter and anchor at Detroit's PBS station. Celebrating 60 Years of Orion SamuelsonAudio|Video|PhotosEmail|Voicemail|Scholarship. Her guest asked her, if she didn't read them, how did she know how left-wing they were? I think you should do it, Orion recalls. The engineers, stage hands and people on the air liked Orion, so it was much easier for me being the kid coming on board to slide right in because I was welcomed just by working with Orion.. Samuelson: Well, because we were able to talk more than planting corn or soybeans. She also had high praise for his care at University of Chicago. Its not for nothing that Orion is known as The Voice of Agriculture. Together, these two farm boys sat down every day in a studio in Chicago and talked about agriculture with a 50,000-watt transmitter and hundreds of networked stations, explaining pork bellies and beef demand to suburban housewives. He will be turning 90 in only 335 days from today (01 May, 2023). [1], Armstrong's first job out of college was for the Illinois Farm Bureau as a Broadcast Editor, which was where he met Orion Samuelson. Max Armstrong (born June 13, 1953, Owensville, Indiana) is an American agriculture broadcaster from Chicago, Illinois. He drove home every weekend to be a polka music disc jockey. Politically, Samuelson is a significant supporter of the use of ethanol fuel as derived from corn, as he feels its use will help American farmers. And we accepted ideas from other people because if you stop learning, you stop living., Orion worked with the Illinois Farm Bureau to put together a farm-city exchange in the early 70s and it was still going in 1977 when I started at WGN, Armstrong said. All rights reserved. Orion Samuelson AIS-V-L-2009-002 3 those sermons, never thinking that I'd someday be working (laughs) in the same studios that the Colonel was in. Luckily for farmers, Samuelson had once considered becoming a Lutheran pastor before heading off to radio school. USDA Secretary Sonny Perdue recently honored Samuelson with a proclamation heralding the broadcaster's long career in ag journalism. To view the purposes they believe they have legitimate interest for, or to object to this data processing use the vendor list link below. COVID-19 has complicated traditional funerals. Thats what I did and it took me a couple of weeks to convince Max to make the move from Bloomington to Chicago. I walked into the studio and I thought, Im working with some big names at a big radio station veterans and theyre going to ignore me! But they did just the opposite, he says, laughing. Last check: 1 year ago. Orion Samuelson, 86, will retire from WGN-AM/Chicago after 60 years with the Nexstar Media Group's News/Talk outlet, reports Chicago media columist Robert Feder. Orion Samuelson and his wife, Gloria, were kind enough to allow me to introduce myself and even pose for a quick picture. He transcends generations, says Cerro Gordo, Ill., farmer Jared Gregg. I would listen to Maxs ideas and he would listen to mine and that would evolve into stories that made interesting watching and listening on the radio and television stations we were on, he explained. In 2001, Samuelson was named a laureate of The Lincoln Academy of Illinois and was awarded the Order of Lincoln the highest award bestowed by the State of Illinois. The self-described "unknown cow milker from western Wisconsin" was born on a dairy farm near LaCrosse, and got his start on radio stations in Sparta, Appleton and Green Bay. If you would like to change your settings or withdraw consent at any time, the link to do so is in our privacy policy accessible from our home page.. And Im looking at that building, this monument that the man built for his wife. Samuelson is a 2003 National Radio Hall of Fame inductee. His early work was based in Wisconsin, at WKLJ in Sparta, WHBY in Appleton, and WBAY-TV/AM in Green Bay. There were many tears shed, including from listeners who called in, many of whom never met Samuelsen. Gloria Samuelson may get the biggest credit of all: saving Orions life. Armstrong was full-time with WGN Radio for 32 years until 2009. Few partnerships in agriculture are as easily recognized as that of Max and Orion again, by first names only. I think what has been missed by many is that Orion was an agvocate at least 40 years before most farmers knew they should be, said Max Armstrong, who has worked with Samuelson for the past 43 years. Thats a lesson we should all learn, he adds quietly. On the eve of his 60th anniversary as the booming voice of agriculture and business at WGN 720-AM, Orion Samuelson . At WBAY, he crossed paths with a fellow ag communicator named. She began her career with. "So many memories," he said, "and theyll be with me as long as Im around.". [1] He produces and hosts the Farm Progress America and Max Armstrongs Midwest Digest daily radio programs. At age 26, Samuelson got the call to join 50,000-watt powerhouse WGN, where he began as farm director on September 26, 1960. canceling National Barn Dance outright. In 2017, Max Armstrong was elected President of the NAFB. Samuelson, 81, veteran agriculture-business reporter for Tribune Media news/talk WGN AM 720, underwent the procedure Monday at the University of Chicago Medical Center. Young Orion was a tall kid headed for the basketball team the summer before high school when he was afflicted with a rare disease known as Legg-Perthes disease. If a story is worth doing, then check your facts and make sure you do it right, Jim would tell me.. That is unheard of in this industry., Field Editor's Blog @AgNews_Doran: Best wishes to Orion in his retirement https://t.co/abTEj8w1v7. He called the manager of the station in Green Bay and said he was going to try to steal his farm director.. During his over 60 years as a farm broadcaster,. His voice is synonymous with agriculture news and after January Orion Samuelson will be stepping away from the microphone. In 2010, the City of Chicago named the corner of Illinois Street and Cityfront Plaza Drive Orion Samuelson Way.. Thank you . Youve educated a lot of people though, havent you? TROY, Mich. (CBS DETROIT) - A Lake Orion man hit the pavement this weekend to run a marathon for a great cause to give back to Henry Ford Health. Related:Orion Samuelson: Explaining agriculture to ChicagoHow Orion became beloved in agricultureWhat Orion means on the farmMax on Orion: Champion for the American farmer. Enjoy the next phase of your life. That was the ticket. The surgeon commented that Orion is further along than patients half his age. Obviously the highlight of my career is the opportunity to work with farmers, ranchers and food producers because theyre my favorite people, he said. Over the years, Orion originated broadcasts all over the world, including 10 times in China and four in Russia. Samuelson has spent over 60 years perfecting this talent, first at radio stations in Wisconsin before starting his job at Chicagos WGN Radio in September 1960. Perfect for elementary students, homeschoolers, and libraries! Right away, he suggested bringing the National Barn Dance talent over to WGN, and in doing so, saved a few jobs and found himself working alongside the radio stars he listened to back on the dairy farm. His career led him to have dinner at the White House and travel to 43 countries [4] including Cuba, where he shook hands with Fidel Castro, Moscow where he met with Mikhail Gorbachev, and England to broadcast live from the Royal Agricultural Show (aka Royal Show). Even farmers dont work that long in a lot of cases and here you are still getting up early and doing what youve done for the last well, since 1952. U.S. agricultural journalist to earn the Writer of Merit designation and is a five-time winner of the top writing award for editorial opinion in U.S. agriculture. He was also on President Ronald Reagans short list for secretary of agriculture, which ultimately ended in John Blocks selection. Orion Samuelson and his wife, Gloria, rode in the local parade as Grand Marshal on the final day of the festival. Samuelson: No, I didnt, but, circumstances, leg disease that made it impossible to do heavy work. He hopes to give the Illinois State Fair Sale of Champions another go in 2021 working hard to create some magic in the Coliseum for young livestock exhibitors. Orion Samuelson started his career at WGN Radio in September 1960, when the presidential election involved Richard Nixon and John F. Kennedy. Samuelson considered becoming a Lutheran pastor before deciding on six months of radio school. Serving on a three-member board, he hires and promotes full-time firefighters and paramedics for one of the highest-rated (ISO 1) fire service organizations in the United States, the Lisle-Woodridge Fire Protection District.[11]. Sirott: You had to be pinching yourself at times along the way? Whats been your reaction to this outpouring of love for you? "I couldn't believe it was happening," he says today. But he remembers the first time he spoke competitively: My knees never stopped shaking!. McDonalds is now offering its Big Mac sauce in prepackaged dipping cups but it aint free. In addition to hosting his signature farm reports on radio and TV, and anchoring "The Noon Show" from 1960 to 2003, Samuelson emceed "The National Barn Dance" and read the first bulletin on the air of President John F. Kennedy's assassination in 1963. Samuelson was heard on WGN radio in Chicago for sixty years as the station's head agriculture broadcaster from 1960 through 2020. Once Samuelson started his job at WGN, it didnt take him long to realize that urban people didnt understand farmers or ranchers. For 42 years, Max Armstrong and Orion Samuelson have partnered together, first on WGN radio, and later on the TV Show U.S. Farm Report, until creating the show This Week in Agribusiness.[1]. Their operation includes 125 head of commercial cows in a cow/calf operation. On the eve of his 60th anniversary as the booming voice of agriculture and business at WGN 720-AM, Orion Samuelson says it's time to retire from the Nexstar Media Group news/talk station. It was a good first day on the job. FAIRY TALE? April 24, 2023 / 10:16 AM / CBS Detroit. I think Ive made some progress and then Ill get a call or letter from a listener who wants to know how to tell if a watermelon is ripe just by looking at it, he said. I dont ever remember working on a style, he says, but I never took my voice for granted. [1] Broadcast History [ edit] Armstrong's first job out of college was for the Illinois Farm Bureau as a Broadcast Editor, which was where he met Orion Samuelson. His big booming voice was heard daily on 260 radio stations with his National Farm Report and on 110 stations with his Samuelson Sez. He co-hosted the Morning Show on Saturdays and currently hosts This Week in Agribusiness on RFD-TV. In the clip the announcer says, "Now, here's Orion Samuelson," but Orion seems not to have heard! There are tens of thousands of folks who are really going to miss you. Samuelsen also made regular appearances on Fox 2 and wrote periodically for the Detroit Free Press. Why? There was a time we were doing 190 broadcasts per week on WGN Radio and the television show, This Week in AgriBusiness, so we were busy boys.. Wellman farmer Clint Whetstine stands in front of destroyed pens and barns from tornado. Both shows aired on 190 Midwest stations[7] via first-run syndication. His early work was based in Wisconsin, at WKLJ in Sparta, WHBY in Appleton, and WBAY-TV/AM in Green Bay. I told him Ive done it and you can do it, too., Orion is one of the hardest working people youll every run into he has a tremendous work ethic, Armstrong said. Orion Samuelsons decades of agriculture reporting has helped farmers understand the latest Washington policies and he has also helped all audiences appreciate the importance of agriculture to our communities and to the economy.. In the world of agriculture, Orion Samuelson is a rock star, and to Orion tonight we say, "Happy Birthday!" Orion has been on WGN Radio for more than 53 of his 80 years, so WGN's Steve. Other people hear it differently than I do, thank God! Then I realize weve got more work to do., The question Samuelson has been asked the most is, What is a frozen pork belly?. Monticello, Ind., farmer Brian Scott says his grandpa said the same thing after nearly every lunch: Orion said . Orion Samuelson is an American broadcaster most widely known for hosting U. S. Farm Report. [2], Many of those living in the Midwest over the past six decades remember the big, booming voice of Orion Samuelson that explained the business of agriculture and food production in an understandable way. But mainly, hes told agricultures story from downtown Chicago, where he became a media icon and a beloved hall of fame broadcaster. There were host farms in northern Illinois that opened on Sundays for consumers to visit, Armstrong said. "We will celebrate his life, but are taking time to figure out the best way. [14], In 2014 the CME Group and the National Association of Farm Broadcasting (NAFB) Foundation announced the inaugural recipient of the Orion Samuelson Scholarship ($5,000) for a senior at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. CHICAGO ( NewsNation Now) One of the most famous voices in radio will end a remarkable 60-year career later this month. Orion through his work ethic, knowledge and personality had earned the respect of the people there and that helped me immensely when I came on board, he said. The winner of more awards and inductee in more halls of fame than he can count, Samuelson said one of the honors he cherishes most is the honorary doctor of letters degree he received from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2001. Samuelson has held the same job in the broadcasting industry for 50 consecutive years, second only to Los Angeles Dodgers Radio Network announcer Vin Scully. December 31st will be my last time on the air at WGN, Samuelson told me Tuesday. just before graduating from the University of Illinois in agricultural communications. [2] Career[edit] It used to be in a compilation of news bloopers from the 70s and/or 80s, but I can't find it anymore. Thats why I titled my book, You Cant Dream Big Enough, Samuelson said about his book published in 2012. Orion Samuelson was just 27 years old when he made his way up North Michigan Avenue, striding toward the Tribune Tower. We would talk about the European Community and the blocks that were put up against our products. The warmth, concern and attention to every need is nothing short of outstanding, she wrote. I read about this in the encyclopedia, but now Im standing here looking at it. Today, Samuelson and his wife live about 50 miles west of Chicago. The show moved to Chicago's WGN-AM, with Orion Samuelson as the show's host, until it finally left the air in 1968. [7] The induction ceremony took place on May 27, 2016, where Armstrong was honored along with 6 others. In addition to working with farmers and ranchers, Orion Samuelson has also been involved with activities outside of the agricultural industry, including emceeing at the Tournament of Roses Parade with co-host Pam Minick. [10][11] In 2014 he was awarded the VERITAS award by American Agri-Women (AAW) Organization. It was devastating. He was cut from the same cloth as Paul Harvey. Since July 2009, Armstrong has been director of broadcasting for Farm Progress. He also made history by being the first agribusiness broadcaster to be inducted into the National Radio Broadcasters Hall of Fame. David is retired from a career as a trader on the Chicago Board of Trade and has two children of his own, and Katheryn is in the restaurant business. Her quick thinking and determination got him into surgery and saved his life and his voice. Madonna. 1998 - 2023 Nexstar Media Group Inc. | All Rights Reserved. An award-winning writer and photographer, Holly is past president of the American Agricultural Editors Association. Orion and I played a significant role in helping publicize that which happened 45 or 50 years ago., Its a remarkable thing that Orion has been on the air at the same station in a major market in the U.S. for 60 years, Armstrong stressed. National Association of Farm Broadcasting ("NAFB"), "The Morning Show with Orion and Max | WGN Radio - 720 AM", "National President Election Profile: Max Armstrong", "Armstrong Earns Plaque On The WGN Radio Walk Of Fame", "Seven honorees named to WGN Radio Walk of Fame", "Max Armstrong's Tractor App Now Available", "Max Armstrong // Purdue College of Liberal Arts", "Max Armstrong Named Honorary Master Farmer", Chicago Radio Spotlight interview with Max Armstrong, Max Armstrong's Tractor App in the Daily Herald, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Max_Armstrong&oldid=1122875638, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0. "They werent teaching me to be a broadcaster, they were teaching me to be a writer. WGN Radio personality Bob Sirott sat down with Samuelson for a trip down memory lane. Orion's net worth hovers over $250,000 - $499,999 with a yearly income that's about $175 - 199,999. One newscaster spent a week fathering Orion through three floors of studios, until he knew where to go and when to be there. All rights reserved. He broadcasts live from the show, then walks around and does reports in front of a video camera. But, this is like the time when the conspiracy theory came true. said one researcher.
Liverpool Supporters Club Bristol, Southwest Female Pilot Fired, Carly Zucker First Husband, Mercer County College Baseball Roster 2021, How To Find Apparent Weight On A Roller Coaster, Articles O