Learn more about voting options. Oyler said a bigger picture approach is needed to balance Peorias desire to expand downtown development, while also removing blight and improving conditions in impoverished neighborhoods. The last day to register to vote for the August 6, 2024 Election is July 8, 2024. PEORIA CITY COUNCIL AT-LARGE RESULTS (Source: Peoria County Election Commission) (# of votes, followed by percentage) Bernice Gordon-Young 8,918 16% *John Kelly 8,349 15% *Kiran Velpula 8,275 15% *Zachary M. Oyler 7,570 14% Mike Vespa 6,101 11% Demario A. Boone 5,338 10% Anu Uddavolu 5,313 10% Clara Underwood-Forman 3,049 5% 7:45 a.m.: Voter turnout seemed sluggish early Tuesday, but that's not to say voting will be down this year, saidPeoria County Election Commission Director Tom Bride. Kouri's father, also named Stephen, is a former councilman and a current circuit court judge. I know Peoria. "Thank you friends for all the love, support, and prayers," he said. In addition to being "very humbled," At-Large Councilwoman Rita Ali said of her 39% of the primary vote, "I have chills. "I have always fought to put service before self and am excited to continue serving my community now as elected representative.". Chuck Grayeb won 939 votes, or 45.6% in a three-man primary. The winners will take their oaths of office next month. One is the pandemic, which has altered people's daily routines. I'm very excited at the possibility of what could happen and we're going to work very hard to see that does transpire. Under the city's cumulative voting, a voter can cast five votes in favor of one candidate, or divide the votes between candidates. "This community is very near and dear to my heart, and I just want the best for everyone," she said. Brown got 56 votes. Here are the 11 candidates seeking Peoria City Council seats in 2023. The district includes the North Valley and South Peoria. The other sitting member of the council, Sid Ruckriegel, was trailing with just shy of 18% of the vote, 1,479 ballots. To join the email distribution list of all Meeting Notices, Agendas and Minutes of the City Council, please email the City Clerk or call the City Clerk's Office at 309-494-8565. With all 21 precincts reporting, Kouri had 1,477 votes, or 50.4%. He joined the station in 2022. A husband's dread during an abortion ordeal in Oklahoma. She formerly taught high school English. John Kelly and Kiran Velpula had 8,348.91 votes (14.93%) and 8,275.16 (14.8%), respectively. Gordon-Young said clearing blight from disenfranchised areas, introducing more mental health resources and expanding programs like mental health co-responders within the police department could improve public safety and provide an environment for Peoria to expand and grow economically. Are they planning to vote later? Oyler wins another term, making this his seventh year as an at-large Peoria City Council member. "There is not a single thing left on the table for us to do, we worked as hard as we could," Beck said, joking that he had worn through three pairs of shoes knocking on doors to gather support. "I was like, 'Well, that's not going to affect me. Please enable JavaScript in your browser for a better user experience. If you seeany election problems, let us know by emailingnews@pjstar.com. Hes also an advocate for police transparency measures and opposes a moratorium on new recreational cannabis dispensaries. Peoria voters have choices for mayor and City Council in the Nov. 8 election and part of the . Local attorney Stephen Kouri led Methodist College administrator Andre Allen 656-646. We want to know what you're seeing at the polls, too. Hours of Operation: Monday Friday, 8:30 a.m. 5:00 p.m. Zoom to + Zoom In Zoom In At last count Crawford had around 300 more votes than Hunt, leading by a 52-48% margin. "History has shown in this race that there is favorability towards newcomers but to be able to get another term being the most senior member, I really appreciate it," he said, noting the council was to see two new members. He said something about 600-some voters having cast ballots there during the general election in November. 1:30 p.m.: Voting has been going smoothly with light turnout typical for an off-year primary, said Peoria County Election Commission Director Tom Bride. The final votes for Peoria City Council at-large seats are in. The Methodist College administrator finished sixth in a five-seat race. Kelly also said public works needs and looming pension obligations are priorities. "I ran a clean campaign and stayed positive, on message, and will continue to be an active part of our community. Collin Schopp is a reporter at WCBU. In Peoria, new election complaints and campaign sign controversy. Pekin mayoral candidate Becky Cloyd says she didnt do anything improper in supporting the sale of a city-owned downtown property to a developer who donated to her campaign. (The no-work-commute dynamic didn't stop voters from coming out early in November "The only lines we had for the general election were at 6 a.m.," Bride said but that was because of the high interest in the presidential race.). Interim City Councilwoman Denette Dunn will continue to represent Peoria's Pine District after winning Tuesday's election with an estimated 88% of the vote, according to unofficial . "I have knocked on wellover a thousand doors in the past week and I feellike I have a pulseon Peoria," he said. The candidate for office who receives the majority of all the votes cast in the General Election, shall be declared elected to that office. 6:10 p.m.:Remember the city elections four years ago? "I might not have been a council person but I have been doing the work. endobj Six weeks later, Denis Cyr won theFifth District council seat by a single vote over Rita Ali. As the legislative body, the Council meets at least twice a month to make policy decisions, approve spending, and vote on various actions that affect the city. Kouri is a son of former Councilman Steve Kouri, who now is a circuit-court judge. He said he meets regularly with landlords to brainstorm ways to improve Peoria communities. Meet the candidates: What kind of expertise and experience will . 4@$ib51>veGmwWwwA;p]we%f(PV}qx H.8~b98rH.8 kV q. "6{x[nSVTb{Ku' X-cq7bJXW? Parts of Central, North and Northwest Peoria are located in the district. Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option. Vespa too was a political newbie, running his first campaign at age 39. Peoria County Geographic Information Service (GIS) page, See Peoria City Council Meeting Calendar, Agendas, Minutes, Videos, and Meeting Details, FOIA - Freedom of Information Act Request. ;L"KDTQW&(?u=TlaS d]-QMNdBUr8RJ)a$Nk/U&)j`JaPB*tBvEm%8Z "q!QJmRdP|d@%L-(o\ * Ps:$~B*P_E({RSPr6s^W:PH]8euv_o]&ibb9YLt!JLD/>Dv,lQ>8Q7\Zz"h>QP#M2TV"Q _k8F5TSeIfQ0 KiLt`2+l|D^T~&t7gG-7`;BN*TmGL2pxz#zA$E`"Bjb6(Om^N8s 9"mY He was trailed by the other sitting council member, Sid Ruckriegel, who had 2,226 votes, about 19%. Notice is hereby given by the City of East Peoria, Illinois that nominating petitions and supporting nomination papers for offices to be elected at the consolidated election to be held on Tuesday, April 4, 2023, must be filed between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m . Whoever wins will make history. Please take a moment to donate now and fund the local news our community needs. ", He praised Gordon-Young and Vespa, the political newbies, for their wins, saying the "people have spoken.". The four-way battle for city treasurer has former County Board member Steve Morris trailingBrooke Petty Sommerville. If there's going to be use, and there is, then it can help fund our fire departments, police departments, basic city services," he said in a February interview with WCBU. As expected, Peoria District 150 school board candidate Keisha Alexander is appealing the Peoria Board of Election Commissioners decision earlier this month to keep her name from the April ballot. The top two will advance to April's general election. Mail-in ballots and early voting have been more popular this primary. Peoria City/County Joint Commission on Racial Justice and Equity co-chairs explain next steps to addressing disparities, Q&A: Peoria City Manager Urich discusses pipeline, co-responder pilot program, gunshot detection, $670,000 wayfinding project will bring 70 new signs to downtown Peoria, Peoria Rivermen and Civic Center reach agreement on a new lease, Sister Cities Commission brings cultural opportunities from around the world to Peoria. ,ABDKTkfH06Z j'ps-&si p@XWL8Vbbc8*D 7Ndtwh,-_ Sign up to receive notifications specific to your vote by mail ballot, Peoria County Election Commission Monthly Meeting, Interactive Polling Place/Precinct/District Data. Benjamin R. Nicks Jr. 1,049 2%. As required inCity Charter, Article IX, Section 6, if no more than two candidates file nominating petitions for each vacancy in office, a Primary Election shall be dispensed with as to that office. They were followed by Chama St. Louis with 473 votes and Andres "Andy" Diaz with 369 votes. nYI05Ki94^~{$E4AQpk+9@ ~f` -0J``0hR;oM";@vsHf j 6~c u:;1G2S J[(zKGZ)JEF&\FQ#{V&;Q2QNU\'$R Ya;h$I0a For the council races, challenger Jennifer Crawford held a slim lead over incumbent Vicki Huntin the race for the council seat for the Acacia District in south Peoria. Bureau of Land Management, Esri, HERE, Garmin, NGA, USGS, NPS| . In 2019, we had 7,700 total, so weve already surpassed 2019, and we had 7,500 total in 2017, he said. [/PDF /Text /ImageB /ImageC /ImageI] CITY OF PEORIA FOR CITY COUNCIL AT LARGE - (VOTE FOR ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR OR FIVE) Precincts Counted Total Percent 65 65 100.00% Voters Ballots Registered Percent Choice Party Election Day Early Voting Vote by Mail Total Undervotes: 240.0000 180.0000 325.0000 745.0000 Overvotes: 3.0000 0.0000 6.0000 9.0000 See the final results for the Peoria City Council at-large seats. Chuck Grayeb won 939 votes, or 45.6% in a three-man primary. Explore downloadable PDFs of electoral boundaries in Peoria County. The two finalists in Peoria's mayoral race spent a few moments Tuesday night having very similar reactions to the news that they'd be advancing to the general election. Second District Councilman Chuck Grayeb had 48% of the vote, or 368 votes. ", For Jim Montelongo, the 4th District councilor, his reaction to pulling in 24% of the vote after much anticipation as votes were counted was to be "kind of just on cloud nine right now. Peoria City Council results Bernice Gordon-Young: 8,918 John Kelly: 8,348.91 Kiran Velpula: 8,275.16 Zach Oyler: 7,569.75 Mike Vespa: 6,100.91 Demario Boone: 5,338 Anu Uddavolu: 5,312.50. Binsbacher has campaigned largely on the notion that residents are satisfied with Peoria's high quality of lifeand leadership should work to continue attracting high-wage jobs, preserving open space andexpanding public transit where it's helpful. Three Peoria City Council contests intensified in the final weeks before the election. Not sure if you're registered? Benjamin Nicks with 1.88% of the vote. He placed last in the 10-candidate field in 2019's at-large race for five seats. Crawford is a political newcomer who saidshe wants to work on reducingthe disparities between north and south Peoria. These officials serve four-year terms with elections staggered every two years. 9 p.m.: Current and former 3rd District Peoria City Council members are to face each other in the general election in April. Lawrence J. Maushard 1,955 3% title: Council Districts: description: type: Web Mapping Application: tags: council district "I'm very gratified for the vote of confidence the city has given me. Next Election Info The Consolidated General Election will be held on Tuesday, April 4, 2023. Stay Informed. The three incumbents in the race all will return, finishing second, third and fourth in the balloting. View information about upcoming elections including early voting, election dates, and election history. He considers the use of a state statute to offer real estate tax abatements on the construction of single-family homes as a major past accomplishment. He believes the sales of legal cannabis could play a role in strengthening public safety. This year, early and mail-in ballots already accounted for 4,739 ballots. Theres tremendous wealth creation thats available in our community right now.. Stephen Kouri will receive his first chance. 0:00. There wasn't chaos, but there was a lot of confusion. Contact Peoria City Clerk's Office for more information. The three, if elected, wouldjoin council members Dunn and Jon Edwards on the council as a majority coalition. The results are in for Peoria's city primary election. Thetford received 923 votes, or 36.8%. Click here for a roundup of those events. The district includes the West Bluff and most of Central Peoria west of Knoxville Avenue and south of War Memorial Drive. Find out more about election specific vote by mail versus permanent vote by mail.
Saint Francis Hospital Chief Medical Officer, What Does The Prayer Of St Francis Mean, Articles P