On the surface, these seem like minor things, but it's a lack of effort, or a "good enough" mentality. This rifles overall size is another point you dont want to miss. One thing people seem to really have a hard time understanding about the Revolution is whether it be piston or direct impingement, it is an AR-15 that shoots 308. When I see all the very common .308s that are essentially like AR-15s, but of course they need to have a somewhat longer lower receiver to accommodate .308 magazines EXACTLY as this one does, I have always just referred to them as AR-10s, to denote the .308 relative of the common AR-15. Engineering an AR-15 bolt carrier for a rifle chambered in .308 Win. Bob Meinert, FN Marketing Director, introduces FN's first commercial pistol suppressor, the FN Rush 9Ti. All Rights Reserved. 2023 Outdoor Sportsman Group. The machining looked fantastic on the three I have owned, but its a gun, not wall art, first and foremost it should function reliably. Read today's "The Armed Citizen" entry for real stories of law-abiding citizens, past and present, who used their firearms to save lives. After a session at the range, my concerns about recoil and excessive bolt speed were put to rest. The magazine then uses that time to push the stack of ammunition up into the magazines feed lips where the bolt coming forward strips a round and shoves it into the chamber. The SCAR 15P is chambered for 5.56 NATO and, with its 7.5-inch barrel, is the most compact SCAR to date. The outside of the rifle looks fine besides burrs and sharp edges on the trigger and what appears to file marks below the anodizing, so that's strange. You can easily shoot 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards with the Revolution, but what is most impressive, is when you start to stretch things out. An oversized aluminum barrel nut is used as a heat sink to draw heat from the chamber and add rigidity to the handguard. This is great for component life and reduces the violence with which the rifle extracts and cycles. Effective muzzle brake Buffer only weighs 2.9 ounces. This bolt carrier group also makes use of POFs patented roller cam pin. Its numerous innovations and well-executed. For decades, hunters and shooters have been looking to improve the terminal and exterior ballistics of the AR-15 with cartridges like the 6x45, 6.5mm Grendel and others. just took out to see if would cycle with can. They suggest a 500rd break in and that they likely won't do anything if I send it back. POF-USAs Revolution possesses all the accuracy of a heavier, harder-kicking, bolt-action rifle in a trim, lightweight, autoloading package. Patriot Ordnance Factory 01666 Revolution *CA Compliant 308 Win,7 . You really have to be on your game in the wind once you get past 500 yards. YSC cookie is set by Youtube and is used to track the views of embedded videos on Youtube pages. The gas plug, piston and operating rod of the Revolution remain unchanged from POFs .223 Rem.-chambered guns. It only took me a minute to familiarize myself with the additional manipulation options and, after a bit of use, I like them quite a bit. You must log in or register to reply here. Smith & Wesson Volunteer XV Pro, Review: Vortex Razor HD 4000 GB Ballistic Laser, Ultra-Lightweight! Expect Background Check Delays As New Federal Gun Control Rolls Out. RifleShooter Magazine editor Scott Rupp breaks down all the features of the Mossberg Patriot Predator rifle chambered in 6.5 PRC. The carrier itself is AR-15 size and not the hulking piece found in an AR-10. Groups were 2-4 MOA. This is not the case with the Revolution. Major difference between the two is the barrel, hand guard and adjustable gas block. The only plus side was this was during the last gun ban scare and I immediately sold both rifles as soon as they were fixed and actually got more than I paid for both. When it comes to a .308 Win., an adjustable gas block is required whenever there is the potential for suppressor use. Trigger components are contained in an anodized aluminum housing. This vents just enough gas back to push the casing from the chamber, so that you get true push-pull extraction. This rifle would be less than 3 feet in length and weigh less than 7 pounds, so the rifle was very compact and maneuverable, while still packing the punch of the 308 cartridge. The new-for-2023 lineup includes ultralight hunting stocks and a VGA 2-pound adjustable vertical-grip stock. Called the Revolution, POF-USAs newest piston-driven rifle weighs a scant 7 lbs., 4 ozs., and possesses all of the fast-handling characteristics of an AR-15, while boasting the hard-hitting energy of an AR-10. Using Norma Match 168gr, we walked this 16 inch barreled 308 all the way out to 1000 yards. Sign of the times I guess. This cookie can only be read from the domain they are set on and will not track any data while browsing through other sites. The rifles bolt carrier group (BCG)uses a roller cam pin designed to eliminate scoring on the inside of the upper receiver. It consists of the gas block, gas plug, piston and operating rod. Steel case extracts, like they claimed, pmc bronze doesn't have to be mortared, but won't extract, and any hunting load I've found needs to be mortared, and there are deep marks on the rims of every case from the extractor yanking on a stuck case. Its numerous innovations and well-executed manufacture make it an appealing option for anyone in the market for a .308 Win.-chambered semi-automatic rifle. I wont waste any time in saying that the POF Revolution is an excellent rifle. About the author: A bit surprised it doesn't come with a hard case but I knew that before purchasing. 600 Rounds Winchester 5.56 55Grain XM193 FMJ Stripper Clips & Tool $240.00 FREE S&H REBATE, AR-15 Barrel Length Does It Even Matter? Your email address will not be published. The Rogue doesn't have the ambidextrous features or the nitate coated fluted barrel. It maintains the compactness, maneuverability, and superior ergonomics of the AR-15, while having the significantly greater knockdown power of the 308 cartridge. He said it is, just one using a 7.62 NATO magazine well and a few slightly modified parts. This also isn't a normal small frame .308, it's smaller! The Revolution is an AR-15, chambered in 308, not an AR-10. Good tip. Kimber's New K6XS Revolver -- NRA 2023. I put a Calvin Elite in it and now she rocks. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. THE Revolution PD SBR uses a 5.56 bolt carrier and other 5.56 parts allowing for a shorter overall receiver size and reduced weight. Still doesn't extract at all, tears up brass. Did MD actually outlaw the AR15 by name? You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Differing from some piston systems, the POF USA Revolution uses a .875-inch barrel-shaped short-stroke piston.. Contributing Editor for RifleShooter Magazine, Brad Fitzpatrick gives us a review of this modernized version of an iconic favorite. The cam pin has POF-USA's roller-cam feature, which reduces friction. Threaded into the rear of the lower receiver is an aluminum anti-tilt receiver extension. Inside the gas block is a reversible piston and behind this is the operating rod, which is supported by the barrel nut at the front of the receiver. Quantserve sets the mc cookie to anonymously track user behaviour on the website. Theres also a bolt hold-open button inside the trigger guard. The Revolution DI also has all the features POF-USA has become famous for: the e2 chamber, enhanced extractor, roller cam pin, heat-sink barrel nut and a completely ambidextrous lower receiver. The new RIA 5.0 Sporting Pistol from Rock Island Armory features a patented RVS Recoil system that maximizes barrel mass and linear movement to give shooters super soft recoil. The bolt carrier is nitride heat treated and the bolt itself is nickel plated. This brake does a good job managing recoil and muzzle rise but, like most brakes, it increases the muzzle blast. I spoke with Frank DeSomma, owner of POF-USA, about the Revolution DI and he was hesitant to share the materials he was using to create the bolt and extractor. ***. Rifle Review. But very sorry to hear your experience, hope they straighten it out. Some of the weight savings are due to the reduced size of the receiver set. Burrs on the bolt carrier. It has almost zero creep, a clean break, that is followed by a short reset. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. Well I talked my self out of the Revolution and am going to get the Rogue instead, $1700 vrs $2450. boy it doesnt kick anything like the rogue though!!! I wouldnt go as far to say that an AR-10 is cumbersome, but I dont think youll find anyone who says that it feels as good as the smaller AR-15. The question I had was, Is it really an AR-15? 16.5" & 18.5". POF-USA offers a one-m.o.a. I've actually never shot steel case, just brass case, PMC bronze being the cheapest and it was pretty darn accurate. I've now had two rounds at the range with the Revolution DI and the Burris 1-8x24 FFP. To ensure a tight fit, the lower also sports a nylon receiver tension screw. The two things many find most appealing about this cartridge are its performance and sheer availability. The adjustable gas system also reduces recoil. Whether its ham radio, shooting, hunting, etc., Garrett is always happy when he has a project to work on. The most impressive aspect of this fascinating design? put cherry bomb on and silencerco Hybrid with plan B ( Trash Panda didn't put on tonight). It is not an AR-10; the much larger stoner design that was chambered in 308. 11 Top Hunting Rifles Chambered in .350 Legend, Benelli Lupo Bolt-Action Rifle Line Expanded with New Chamberings, Wilson Combat Paul Howe Tactical 6.5 Creedmoor: Full Review of the Versatility Champ, 10 Great .22 Mag Bolt-Action Rifles Right Now, 6 Best .300 PRC (Precision Rifle Cartridge) Rifles, Ruger No. | All I can figure is the curve at the bottom is causing the issue as other than that it and the CTR are pretty much the same. Beth Shimanski of Savage introduces their all new straight-pull rifle. (David Fortier photo) While these intermediate cartridges are good, they are simply out-muscled by full-power rifle cartridges like the .308 Win, 6.5mm Creedmoor and 6mm Creedmoor. They should have sent you a new rifle, at very least make it actually run. That solid reputation was still accurate at the time of my last POF purchase, a 2018 Revolution which truly is a machinist's dream, and even looks great under a jeweler's loupe. His profession as an engineer in the steel industry falls right in line with his hands-on approach to his hobbies. Caleb Giddings, Marketing Manager at Taurus, introduces the all-new TaurusTX 22 Compact. Have no fear, the Revolution maintains the same superior ergonomics because POF cleverly and slightly moved back the grip in order to maintain the exact same relationship between the grip and safety that you would find in the AR-15. It is also one rifle that can fill just about any role. On POFs shortened design, there is only one. Im glad others have gotten good stuff from them, but I definitely feel your pain after having dealt with their lack of customer service. It seemed to . Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns. I did a bit of research and it turns out this so-called warehouse was a small home in the middle of nowhere West Virginia. The Revolution sports an effective three-baffle muzzle brake to reduce felt recoil. None of us has money lying around anymore but it doesnt mean we should peanut gallery innovation. As Nancy Reagan used to say, JUST SAY NO!. Gave it a good look before accepting but it's all there. POF-USA's proprietary muzzle brake offers recoil mitigation and a bezeled crown. As for not being an AR-10 because it differs from theRead more , The light .308s recoil hard! Have a Revolution DI on order, waiting forever and a day to get the ship notification. However, you may visit "Cookie Settings" to provide a controlled consent. POF employees are nice and understanding but stop short of things based on company needs. What that ultimately means is that it stays 18x cooler than the mil-spec option. Give a Gift This gun with 60rd looks rougher than my ar15 with 5k. The Revolution also possesses the patented E2 (E Squared) dual-extraction system, which involves four shallow grooves cut into the neck area of the chamber. Due to its popularity, companies frequently update and improve loads, projectiles and powders on a much larger scale than most other cartridges. As far as breakdowns I agree, accuracy is another matter. The POF USA line of AR 15 rifles include the POF 308 and the POF 415 tactical rifles. The bolt and barrel extension where the bolt locks close behind the chamber required serious design effort by POF. Notice the improved roller cam and dovetail gas key. i have pulsar thermion xp50 and trash panda putting on mine, So I had a major epiphany today. or 6.5 Creedmoor is no easy task, but the size and weight reduction from doing so benefits all AR-pattern rifle shooters. The whole Revolution DI gas block adjustment took me between two and three minutes. But then you notice the magazine well, and thats when you realize what youre holding is really an AR-15 chambered in 7.62. As you can see in the accompanying chart, Black Hills Ammunitions 175-grain OTM load shot the best, averaging 0.75 inch for four five-shot groups from the bench at 100 yards. The ammunition is heavy and relatively expensive, and the mags are bulky compared to 5.56 mags. Another nice touch is the use of POF-USAs ambidextrous Tomahawk charging handle. They cut 4 very small groves in the neck of the chamber. This is truly an AR-15 with a 7.62 NATO magazine well.. Provided by Google Tag Manager to experiment advertisement efficiency of websites using their services. (tested) Stock: MFT, adjustable Grip: MFT Length of Pull: 11.5 in. The stock is comfortable, and the buttpad provides a lot of surface area and doesnt slip around. Ive been tossing around the idea of buying or building a small frame .308. At first glance, the only indication that the gun is anything other than a .223 rifle is the pregnant-looking magazine well, designed to take Magpul .308 Win. They were less than stellar when I purchased two of their piston rifles, one in .556 and one in .308. As someone who had already redesigned the AR platform, he ignored the Doubting Toms and went ahead and did it. Accuracy improved, but rifle slam-fired and continued to jam cases (brass/steel). I have decided that when it comes to LEGAL and weapons, SCREW all of them. It stands out from the AR-15 crowd due not only to its features but also to the sheer size of its magazine well.
Wma Shooting Range, Articles P