What do you say about a person that gives you everything but life? ", Honorable Mention: Michael Irvin (2007); Mike Ditka (1988); Mike Singletary (1998); Joe Montana (2000); John Elway (2004); Jerry Rice (2010); Cris Carter (2013); Jerome Bettis (2015); LaDainian Tomlinson (2017). Thank you. Instead of being angry and upset with me, he walks up to me and he says, 'I think next week we need to learn the plays.' To eat the animals that I ate. 2121 George Halas Drive, Canton, Ohio. Then I asked her, "Are you proud?" I want all you young people to listen to my answer. ", Funniest line: "Greg Anthony, my compadre on NBA TV, I don't know if he's here or not, but I'm sure he'll get word of this. Shannon Sharpe , Keynote Speaker, Considered by many to be the Greatest Tight End of All-Time Named to NFL 1990'2 All-Decade Team, 8 Time Pro Bowl Selection, 2011 Class Professional Football Hall of Fame . I'm not proud to say I was cutting everything that moves. Thanks for all the sacrifices you've made. Three traits that translate in any generation and any job setting. First, I'd like to personally thank the 44 men and women that went to a room on February 5th and deemed my play on the field worthy of this prestigious honor. That drove me. LOS ANGELES (AP) Hall of Fame football player Shannon Sharpe had a heated courtside conversation with Memphis Grizzlies players Ja Morant and Dillon Brooks and Morant's father at the end of the first half Friday night in a nationally televised game against the Los Angeles Lakers. Keels. I had to leave Glennville. My grandmother didnt believe in that. And I know what you're saying, "remedial reading and Spanish?" See, when my grandfather died, I missed one day, the day of the funeral. That's all she wanted. My mama said, 'That's fine, but until then, you get that lawnmower and go out there and cut that grass.'". Shannon, be respectful. Nobody's better, whether you're 1 or you're 267. Thanks for all the sacrifices youve made. Granted, I think organizations put together teams, but at the end of the day, the team has to go out and play. 3x Superbowl Champion. When they went back into the room on Saturday, my name was off the board. Some have everything to do with me. I wanted to be so much like my brother that when I went to college, my brothers first college girlfriend when I went to college, my first college girlfriend looked exactly like his (laughing). Iverson delivered a memorable Hall of Fame speech, thanking everyone from his family to his coaches to his teammates to the fans -- and musicians Notorious B.I.G., Redman, Jadakiss, Tupac Shakur and Michael Jackson. [1st] Highest Average Gain Per Reception, Game 24.3 (vs. Denver Dec. 31, 2000) Sharpe started at tight end. It's my turn now. My sister, Libby, the caretaker of the family, my best friend, my sounding board, my biggest fan. Coach Hall has been teaching and coaching for 50 plus years, and hes still coaching today. I'm like, oh, my gosh. Deacon Jones once said everybody in this room right here could catch the other person that's in this room right here. VIDEO: Shannon Sharpe's Hall Of Fame Induction Speech By Joel Thorman @JoelThorman Aug 8, 2011, 9:48am EDT Long-time Denver Broncos TE Shannon Sharpe was inducted into the 2011 Pro Football. ", Funniest line: "I'm awfully glad to be with him [Casey Stengel] on his big day. Memorable quote: "I hope that someday the names of Satchel Paige and Josh Gibson in some way could be added as a symbol of the great Negro players that are not here only because they were not given the chance. That's all I wanted to do. Thats all I ask. Its a trait I picked up from my mom and from my brother. He didn't know a lot about it, he came from the old country. You may not know this, but I was never supposed to be a Hall of Fame tight end or any kind of tight end, or even a Hall of Fame player. I remember eating possum. Shaq ripped a giant lasagna fart on the air and had to air out the studio, Pro Football Hall Of Fame Enshrinement: Shannon Sharpe, Deion Sanders Deliver Moving Speeches, Deion Sanders Hall Of Fame Speech: Watch Primetime Thank Over 100 People, VIDEO: Shannon Sharpe's Hall Of Fame Induction Speech, Deion Sanders, Shannon Sharpe Invite Fans Into Their Lives With Superb Hall Of Fame Speeches. Memorable quote: "You want to be fast like Isiah and you want to shoot like Bird, you know, rebound like Barkley, pass like Magic, be dominant like Shaq but, man, I wanted to be like Mike. The other days she wanted to be on a fishing creek. I said, I ate that now as a kid, but I'm not going to have to eat that when I become an adult. Memorable quote: "My big brother, Sterling, I'm the only player of 267 men that's walked through this building to my left that can honestly say this: I'm the only pro football player that's in the Hall of Fame, and I'm the second-best player in my own family. It broke my heart that my grandmother, all she wanted was shes got two grand boys that are making millions of dollars, and she wanted a house that wouldnt leak. And I neglected my kids. The persona likes to have fun. 28. She said, son, I want a decent house. Hall of Fame enshrinement speech of Shannon Sharpe, Super Bowl winning tight end for the Denver Broncos and Baltimore Ravens from from 1990-2003: Thank you, everyone. My pastor at the time was a guy by the name of Leroy Joseph, and I'm so glad he was there to talk some sense into me. Thanks Coach Hall for all your wisdom, your guidance, your understanding that you've given me and my family over those 50 plus years. When people told me I wasnt going to make it, I listened to the one person who told me I was, me. This isnt just a draft that builds the future, but a potential dynasty. As I would motion past John, he would turn around and tell me what I had to do, block the end, block the linebacker, run the out, run a corner. The one story I want to leave you with to tell you why I became this person: When I was 12 years old I told my mom, "Mom, I'm going to have some money one day, and I'm going to buy you a Mercedes, and I did.". I never once lived in your shadow. What can I say? It's called the three D's: Determination, Dedication, and Discipline. I want to take a moment to tell you what kind of man he is. Thats what drove Shannon. For two boys that are making millions and all you want is a decent house. He poked fun at everything from his .200 career batting average to setting a record for passed balls. Mom, I know how my grandmother gets, my brother and I talk about her a lot, but this day doesn't happen without you. I just so happened to live across the hall from absolutely, positively, the greatest women's basketball player ever. His cumulative social reach is over one billion . Bad place to pitch. So I could acknowledge the importance of him and in my career and my life, which he was a tremendous part of my life. William Hall, my high school football coach, track coach, and driver's ed teacher. I could have been a drug dealer. He followed that performance with a career-high 87 receptions in 1994. Speech summary: He wasn't talking about practice, man. Thank you, Ms. Like Magic [Johnson] says, 'By any means necessary.' Memorable quote: "I don't know if you figured it out by now, but I just gave you Prime. I could have been homeless -- I was homeless. Im standing on the sideline, and I can see John walking towards me. But I'm not here to apologize for that because it got me here and it got them to a life they never would have enjoyed had it not been for that. Thats all I ask. For a seven year period of the guys that are in the Hall of Fame at the receiver position, and the guys that have the potential to be in this building. Every time at lunch you're not eating, you're in the gym, you're working out. Harrison, was a disciplinarian. The other days she wanted to be on a fishing creek. Last but not least, I think this is where I start to get emotional, my granny. And Phil Jackson said, 'Welcome to the Chicago Bulls.'". Shannon Sharpe (2011) Speech summary: Sharpe dedicated a large portion of his speech to his older brother, Sterling, even saying he hoped the Hall voters would consider his accomplishments next . Ms. Elaine Keels, my high school remedial reading and Spanish teacher. I'm honored to become a member of your select group. It started to rain, and I remember driving to the stadium as it started to rain, and Im saying to myself, if were not going to throw the ball, how am I going to show what I can do? And I'm looking at him, and I can't stop looking at him, like, I'm looking at his shoes, and I'm like, 'Man, he got on the Jordans.'". I didnt want my kids to live one night, not one hour, not one hour in the life that I had let alone a day. Check out the video and automated transcript from the Speak Ai team for Shannon Sharpe Hall Of Fame Speech! In his Hall of Fame speech, Shannon Sharpe said that he is the only player in the Hall of Fame who can call himself the second-best player in his own family. You taught me everything I know about sports and a lot about life. Then, of course, there is my quarterback and great friend, John Elway. She said, are you okay? Speech summary: Eckersley gave an emotional speech, talking about overcoming alcohol addiction and his demons and thanking those who helped him along his journey. Packers. He drives 65 miles one way to get to school. Shannon do your homework. Shannon Sharpe Hall of Fame Speech Lance Nicolai 1.2M views 11 years ago C. Vivian Stringer's Basketball Hall of Fame Enshrinement Speech OfficialHoophall 12K views 10 years ago Deion. [1st] Most Pass Receptions, Game 5 (at Pittsburgh Jan. 20, 2002) Why'd you quit? Youve been with my grandmother for 41 years. I said Im fine. I just want to lay here, and I just want to think. ", Funniest line: "Trey (Griffey's son), you're my little man, my partner in crime. That's all I ask. I know my grandmother's proud. Thanks, John, for teaching me how to be a pro. It's no secret how Shannon Sharpe feels about his older brother Sterling, who he heaped endless praise on during his 2011 Pro Football Hall of Fame speech. '', Funniest line: Thanking his teammates with the Lakers, Shaq saved the best for last. And finally we had a nice enough neighbor came over and put some air in it, and what a difference.". The $10,000 scholarship grant honors Thomas and is funded by both Manning and the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame. Do you want to eat or do you want light to see so can you do your homework? Shannon Sharpe, Richard Dent, Chris Hanburger, Les Richter and Ed Sabol also were enshrined before an enthusiastic crowd of 13,300 -- much lower than the usual turnout. Sterling Sharpe's numbers are tremendous through seven years including his final season where he lead the league with a whopping 18 touchdown receptions. Mr. Art Modell, former owner of the Baltimore Ravens whose wife, Pat, is a little under the weather, and I want to take this opportunity to wish her a speedy recovery. Youll never know. Shannon, be respectful. Your efforts are greatly appreciated. Trevor Lawrence: Jaguars have confidence, motivation for 2023 season, Steelers work to keep playoff hopes, Mike Tomlin's streak alive, Las Vegas Raiders' defensive tackles key in allowing edge rushers Maxx Crosby, Chandler Jones to thrive, 'He's got all the help he needs': Trey Lance won't have to be savior for loaded San Francisco 49ers, Las Vegas Raiders running backs the 'heartbeat' of the new regime's offensive attack, Mac Jones, Patriots express confidence in 'new offense' despite growing pains, New York Giants likely to buck norm, make safety Xavier McKinney defensive playcaller, Tyquan Thornton shows signs he could end Patriots' early-round WR woes. Speech summary: Sharpe dedicated a large portion of his speech to his older brother, Sterling, even saying he hoped the Hall voters would consider his accomplishments next time they voted. He drives 65 miles one way to get to school. My big brother, Sterling, I'm the only player of 267 men that's walked through this building to my left that can honestly say this: I'm the only pro football player that's in the Hall of Fame, and the second best player in my own family. If I ever seen you in a pair of shorts, if I ever see you in a pair of shorts.' I had to make a better way for my brothers, for my sister, for my mom. I stand out on the ballpark in the parking lot waiting for Reggie Jackson to give me a[n] autograph. Today Im humbled to be joining such an elite fraternity of great players who defined our game. 12th Annual NFL Honors Date: Thursday, Feb. 9, 2023 Location: Symphony Hall in Phoenix 12th Annual NFL Honors 12th Annual NFL Honors Live NFL Honors 2023 NFL Honors 2023 Live NFL Honors 2023 Live Stream 2023 NFL Honors Live 2023 NFL Honors Live Stream NFL Awards 2023 NFL Awards 2023 Live 2023 NFL Awards Below is a complete list of awards Clarkson will have the honor of handing out at the NFL . Colorado lawmakers "belly flop" on water crisis, opting for further study of Colorado River over action, experts say, Colorado property tax relief: Polis, lawmakers reveal plan to ease skyrocketing tax bills, Kiszla: Avs embarrass themselves with silence about Valeri Nichushkin's mysterious absence following reported 9-1-1 call, Images, suicide note released in mall massacre, Avalanche's Stanley Cup defense sputters to end in Game 7 of first round vs. underdog Seattle Kraken, Kraken-Avs Game 7 Quick Hits: Philipp Grubauer gets last laugh on Colorado fans, Avs, Ask Amy: A gentleman ponders gender salutations, Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information. Because everything Ive done in my life, Ive tried to please you. His place in these halls tells you what kind of player he was. She hung the phone up. John had never heard of Shannon Sharpe or Savannah State, but not only did he embrace me, he chose me as his go to guy. You need to walk 20 years in this body and feel this raging inferno that I felt to get out of Glennville, to leave that thousand square foot cinder block home with the cement floors, to leave what my grandmother said, baby, is it going to be the gas this month that Im going to pay or is it going to be the lights? My sister didn't know, my brother didn't know, but it raged. When he put that jacket on me last night, theres two people in this world who knew what we were thinking. I remember that. That's all she wanted. To my three kids, Kayla, Kiari and Kaley, thanks for understanding when I promised to take you to the movies or the amusement park or to the mall, but because I'd run myself into the ground or lifted myself into oblivion earlier that day, I didn't do what I had promised to do the night before. But this is the fraternity of all fraternities. Instead of being angry and upset with me, he walks up to me and he says, I think next week we need to learn the plays. I keep telling myself Im not going to get emotional today, but I know thats not going to happen. I've never said that publicly. There is a reason they called it chasing your dreams and not walking after them. Hopefully all those miles youve driven seem worth it today. I said, Granny, do you want jewelry? She said, no, son, I dont want that. She said, no, son, I don't want that. I remember those days. I played on special teams and I got 20 offensive plays, had 12 knock down blocks. I gotta say it; in 1995, as you saw in the video, yeah, I pushed. LeBron James made it clear which side he's on after a spat between FS1 host Shannon Sharpe and members of the Memphis Grizzlies at halftime of their game against the Lakers. He taught me toughness. Your efforts are greatly appreciated. Sharpe left the Broncos in 2000 and signed with the Baltimore Ravens as an unrestricted free agent. Acknowledging his brother, Shannon said he was the only Hall of Famer who was the second-best football player in his family. [1st] Highest Average Gain Per Reception, Career 20.6 I remember those days. Shannon Sharpe may be right about being the second best player in his own family but that's still a hell of an NFL career. And I love you for that. She never called me by my name. Thanks, Coach Hall, for all your wisdom. I'd like to thank Wade Phillips, the defensive coordinator with the Broncos at the time who looked at a certain scout receiver and tight end and said, Dan, let's put him in the game and see if they can cover him, because we sure can't. Speech summary: Griffey thanked all the members of his family individually and paid a touching tribute to his dad, noting some of the father-son feats they accomplished, including hitting back-to-back home runs. He had one reception for five yards in the game. You know I could guard you. He regards Sterling as his motivation and most significant influence to play. But he said if you play, play really hard so you have something on tape, so if we release you, someone else can say okay, this guy can play a little bit. I remember eating squirrel and turtle. Every time at lunch youre not eating, youre in the gym, youre working out. My sister didnt know, my brother didnt know, but it raged. In 1993, he was named first-team All-Pro for the first of four times after catching 81 passes for 995 yards and scoring 9 touchdowns. He was drafted in the 1996 NFL Draft by then-head coach Jimmy Johnson, who was also the person to let Thomas know he had finally been voted in. I said, "for real, Libby?" You don't know what this means to me. She didn't want a whole lot. Speech summary: Emotion fueled Rodman during his playing career, so it was no surprise that his Hall of Fame speech was emotional and scattered at times. We knew Sharpe had a way with words -- we see that on shows pre-game football shows -- but to bottle it all up on the biggest night of his career and deliver in such a big way is impressive. I embraced it. The one story I want to leave you with to tell you why I became this person: When I was 12 years old I told my mom, Mom, Im going to have some money one day, and Im going to buy you a Mercedes, and I did.. Today I'm humbled to be joining such an elite fraternity of great players who defined our game. Coach Hall has been teaching and coaching for 50 plus years, and he's still coaching today. I missed recitals, I missed football practice, I missed graduations because I was so obsessed with being the best player I could possibly be that I neglected a lot of people. ", Funniest line: "Phil Jackson asked me to come to Jerry Krause's house and he asked me, he said, 'Dennis, you know, we'd like you to come play, but you gotta do one thing for me, you gotta go into the kitchen and tell Scottie Pippen you're sorry.' Speech summary: Martin spoke about his tough childhood and how he was so grateful to his mother for all the sacrifices she made for him. The focus was supposed to be on him for his accomplishments in basketball, but he made it about everyone else and how they helped get him where he is. Some have absolutely nothing to do with me and everything to do with the kindness and patience of all the people that guided me through my life. [Tied for 3rd] Most Points Scored, Career 12, Team Statistical Championships It started to rain, and I remember driving to the stadium as it started to rain, and I'm saying to myself, if we're not going to throw the ball, how am I going to show what I can do? And a lot of you guys here that's been here and a lot of you guys here in the Hall of Fame know what I'm talking about; living in the projects and trying to get out of the projects and, ah, I did that. I wish I could mention all of these guys by name. Well, you're about to get your chance.'". ", Funniest line: "When I was growing up, I was the baby, and when they [Payton's brother and sister] had to clean the house on Saturdays and do things when Mom went to work and said, 'I want this house clean when I get back,' hey, I was the baby, I didn't have to do that. Speech summary: Henderson talked about how his dream was originally to play football for the Raiders, saying he was "tricked" into getting out of bed with doughnuts and hot chocolate to go play baseball. The guy turns around and he says, 'What are you doing?'
Bland Correctional Center Warden, Vehicle Verification Punjab By Cnic, Craigslist Homes For Rent By Private Owner, Weird Things On Google Earth Street View Coordinates, Articles S