He profitted and we laughed! It doesn't suffer from the stigma that Sharpstown has. During this time, Sharpstown Mall also had to compete with West Oaks Mall for customers out of Fort Bend County. Modernceo, Much of Bellaire's early boom was from people priced out of West U. I'm sure that isn't everybody, but a good share. Of course, call them in advance and you also may want to check if the Houston Public Library has been given copies of the images. Houstonia Magazine Wow! In 2020, she joined the KPRC 2 digital team as an intern. The Galleria mall in Houston is Texas largest mall. (it was not on p.1 in the Chron.). HOUSTON Do you remember the last time you went to your nearby shopping mall? The sign sums it up: You can get both here, though we prefer the former, whose skinny batons of dough are fried fresh to order, then coated in cinnamon-sugar. We went to the JC penny all of the time. Sharpstown Middle School (formerly Sharpstown Junior High) was originally a consolidated junior and senior high in the beginning around 1971 to 1974. Every-time lunch or dinner it does not disappoint. The light has turned green for improvements aimed at increasing the Bellaire-Fondren intersection's safety, mobility, aesthetics and reducing flooding along Fondren. and help keep the future of the Houston Press, Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our. At the time, the neighborhood was recognized as the largest subdivision in the United States, with its own mall and a golf course. Once you turn off of the major roads and get 2 blocks away the homes and streets are just lovely in many cases. This is the third mall to be built in Houston after Gulfgate Mall opened in 1956 and Meyerland Plaza in 1957, but the first fully air-conditioned mall in Houston. In her spare time, she's an avid video gamer and loves to travel. Oh no. The success of the first phase led Sharp to expand the development, and by the early 1970s Sharpstown had become one of Houstons largest and most successful planned communities. The Grandview Avenue Shopping Center in Ohio opened in 1928, followed by the Highland Park Shopping Village in Texas in 1931. Generous parrillada platters, crave-worthy, spicy salsas, and a quick-and-easy drive-thru have made the restaurant a dependable favorite in southwest Houston for years. In 1999, the mall was sold to Simon Property Group. I, too, was a big Sharpstown customer on my arrival to Houston. The original anchor stores were Weingartens, Foleys, and Palais Royal. Those costs will be financed through the (Sharpstown) Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone No. Route 59) through his development. What are: TIRZ and PID? Houston's first true "master-planned" community was Clear Lake City, launched in 1962. I was always impressed by the mica imbed into the top layer of the paving around the entrance that sparkled like a million glittering diamonds at night under the flood lights. Despite both Glenbrook & Westbury having issues with crappy apartments nearby like Sharpstown as well as similiar era homes, most buyers I have feel like Westbury is more "connected" to the city and generally feels closer in, with a little better curb appeal in most areas. So many great memories. We were the class that gave Principle Jackson a quarter with each hand shake. A few of the Contact Us. There was that big clock thing in the middle that was a time capsule. Sunday Food Court 10AM - 6PM Mall 12PM - 6PM. It's Me, Margaret. The city finally got started on work my uncle spear headed years ago by getting the TIRZ and PID implemented. During the heights of video arcadom, the mall had two of them, the one by JC Pennys and the on in the food court. Also - I saw that water tower photo for sale on eBay, but I didn't buy it. A list of officers of the company did not include Louie Welch. By 2001, the mall was seized in a foreclosure, and Travelers Insurance took ownership of the mall, whose JCPenney anchor space remained vacant when it was announced that Montgomery Ward would close all its locations, including the Sharpstown store, as part of its liquidation process. 61. The little baseball field was right behind them. It was also huge. I, too could have been in that Clock pic (but was probably at Gene's Model shop!!). Houston's independent source of I lived in the sharpstown area for a while when I was younger though. The mall is owned by Simon Property Group. It only worked for a very short while, the doors which opened up on the hour to reveal various scenes stopped opening soon after it was installed and it then became a huge ugly clock. SHarpstown is still a great placequiet and with many original residents still there. Full Member. [21][22] The redevelopment into PlazAmericas was expected to create 500 jobs. In the 1949 City Directory, Frank W. Sharp is shown residing on Meadow Lake Lane, just off San Felipe and Weslayan. You had to have had a permission slip from your parents in order to smoke there (not that anyone checked). Adding a business to Yelp is always free. Designed by Elegant Themes | Powered by WordPress, The Unsettling Reality Of Fitting Room Cameras In Malls, The Daraz Mall: A Popular Shopping Destination In The Heart Of The City, Different Ways To Get To Ontario Mills Mall, Yorkdale Shopping Centre: Torontos Premier Retail Destination, Is Your Shop In A Mall Profitable? At least one of those was used for PE when I went there. Sharpstown Country Club Estates is a set of two Checking out my old stomping grounds. Sharpstown Mall deterioation caused by demographic change to lower income families, and thugs, causing a change in disposable income shopping at mall. It was the place to be mall-wise. Don't remember what movies we saw there - I probably just fell asleep. KPRC 2s Amy Davis took a stop at her old stomping grounds, Greenspoint Mall in north Houston, during a Facebook Live Wednesday. I'm SHS class of 1990. You guys have brought back so much memories for me while living in sharpstown back in the 80's- neff, sharpstown middle, sharpstown mall, the theater next door, astroworld, fame city and so much. I used to go there every week for asthma treatment. [9] In 1993, the mall underwent a $50 million renovation,[5] with the largest addition being a new ten-screen Cineplex Odeon movie theater. Eastwood is leaning towards the higher end of the above mentioned price bracket so it may not provide competition for much longer. And, Strake and St. Agnes offer incredible educations. Guess it's closed now. Do you think the Harwin strip contributed to its downfall? That was kinda the beginning of the end for ST Mall. The rumor is that they mall's name is going to be changed to "CrunkTown", http://oscarmail.net/photos/sharptstown_ma_circa_1962.jpg, http://oscarmail.net/photos/sharptown_stownter_sign_C.jpg, I could have been one of the kids in this photo (although I'm just about sure I wasn't), http://houstonfreeways.com/photos/sharpstonear_A_best.jpg, http://houstonfreeways.com/photos/sharpstowide_A_best.jpg, http://oscarmail.net/photos/sharpstown_1954-10-00_plans.jpg. Class of '83 ROCKS! I was just a little kid, but I remember seeing those "wierdos" at the school. And the had a stage there? We're in the process of transitioning services for our Today in Houston newsletter. There are also The former Sharpstown Center in Bellaire was transformed into a cultural center in 1961. Loved going to Oshmans, and bought my first Apple Macintosh computer from Fingers Furniture when they wold electronics! For people in the $125,000 to $175,000 price bracket, there are other options that a lot of people will find more attractive than Sharpstown. Man, Winchel's was the best! They finally got rid of it many years later. Sharpstown was affected by the Sharpstown scandal. The scandal combined with a set of apartment complexes that became run-down ensured that Sharpstown became a neighborhood surrounded by crime by the mid-to-late 1990s. [citation needed] Crime increased in the 1990s with the deterioration of area apartment complexes. I've been so busy with my new job (project managing luxury home construction and loving it) that I haven't been able to visit much. My assumption for Sharpstown High School being placed where it was is that it could not be further out West (it would be nearly in Alief) and besides, few homes were built past what is now Corporate Drive. Glad to hear Mr. Martin is still around. (Section 4?) Fans were also remembering the last time they visited a Thirstys. When the Houston Ship Channel was built in the early 1950s, Houston was even more important because of the oil industrys emergence. Spankys 21 Pizza, American (Traditional) (346) 895-0555. The area is also known as the Texas Gulf Coasts cultural and economic heart. On Wednesday's show: Four HPD officers dismissed in 2020 after shooting and killing Nicolas Chavez have been reinstated, the week in politics, and advice on preparing and filing your taxes. When Sharpstown Center opened, it was located on the edge of Houston's southwest suburbs. I unfortunately had to sell our property after owning it when new in 1966. PlazAmericas was the name given to it in 2014. When I lived there beginning in 1969, Sharpstown had 3 sections referred to as Sharpstown 1 (Bintliff east area, Sutton Elem., Jane Long Jr. High), Sharpstown2 (Sandpiper to SW Freeway), and Sharpstown 3(West side of SW Freeway, Mary Bates area, Pat Neff Elem., Sharptown Jr. High. Drove a '66 Ford Fairlane with an "ooooga" horn on it. Oh for it to be 1982 and a teen again - except with all the income and knowledge I have now. Dream Merchant - A Look Back at Houston's Weird Retail Past. This makes me sad we moved to the Aldine area In 1979, said KPRC 2 viewer Stephanie Longoria Mottu. Because it was Houston's first air conditioned malla luxury given Houston's historically unpredictable weather, many Houston residents residing in the central part of the city wanted to experience the "mall of the future", hence the traffic concerns. Sharpstown Country Club Estates. This is where Sharp wound up living in 1949. Shelby Stewart. We used to eat at the Del Taco that's a sandwich shop now. As 2000 dawned, a New York investment group named Sharpstown Center Associates owned the mall. I told her what we had done to Mr. Jackson when we graduated. WebSharpstown Sections 1, 1A, 2, 3, and 5 form the original sections of Sharpstown. Sharpstown mall in the 80's was awesome. General Hours. The arrival of railroad lines in the late nineteenth century, as well as Houstons development as a port city, aided the citys rapid growth. Tags hpd ice cream incomes taxes Lucienne Bellefontaine nicolas chavez police shooting Political Roundup politics taxes. The oblong corn masa cakes at this PlazAmericas favorite come topped with everything from pork al pastor to beef fajitas, plus plenty of toppings: radishes, queso fresco, crema, tomatoes and crispy lettuce. Anyone know where I can find some? I am sorry I haven't been around much and ended up missing this thread! Sharpstown is a bad word in many people's minds. 20, said the pilot project will set the tone for roadway improvements to rival those those in the downtown and Galleria areas. The aforementioned crime issues also continued to take their toll on Sharpstown Center, as the crime rate in the area surrounding the mall increased in the late 1990s and early 2000s due to white flight and urban decay. By 1970, Sharpstown Center had 57 stores and was fully leased. There is a proposal for a retractable-roof mall in Phoenix AZ. The other places were more exciting to shop in. I was born and raised in Sharpstown, SHS class of '85. building. (You can imagine what we kids used to call it). It will be managed by Matthew Lopez, an engineer with Cobb Fendley & Associates. I had no idea Sharpstown was such an important development to Houston. 1. These shifts in the higher end retail environment have left Sharpstown, and similar centers, behind. Tom Estus, a shopping center broker of the Shelby/Estus Realty Group, said "It's a classic case of being passed up by newer, better malls. Sharpstown jeweler shutters store after 24 years. This mall in Houston is an outdoor shopping center that features numerous retail shops, dining options, and entertainment areas for the whole family. Would go to Greenspoint everyday for lunch at the food court. In 1995, another expansion added a two-story Mervyns store. As the Houston area grew rapidly over the next three decades, with Houston itself becoming the nation's fourth-largest city, numerous other developments throughout southwest Houston began to emerge. Saw some movies at the Gaylen (sp?) Sharp planned a large zone of high rise condos north of Sharpstown mall, but only 3 towers were built and there is still really nothing to compare to them outside of the loop and uptown. The development allowed for schools, recreation, and retail areas as well as nice post-war homes (a new concept at the time), making Sharpstown one of the nation's first master-planned developments, and the first such community in Houston. [21] Signs indicating the renaming appeared by January 29, 2010. Reading this really brings back memories. The statute authorizing the creation of PIDs is found in Chapter 372 of the Local Government. In 2006, the mall was renamed Sharpstown Mall. Hmmm. a car that could go back in time!! The mall was two stories, featuring a food court. Not dead enough? It was the mall of malls to be at as a teen back then and it was very racially and culturally diversified just like our city, which made it very cool. But it never got that far. Her response was, "that was your class?" Don't know which theater was at W. Bellfort & Fondren. local news and culture, Chris Lane Sharpstown Mall opened in 1961 as the first air-conditioned shopping mall in Houston. "They will improve access to the whole area, and set the tone for the area as a gateway," Schiller said. It was built in Sharpstown Industrial Park Section 12.[3]. Amenities: (713) 777-5391 Visit Website Map & Directions 7500 Bellaire Blvd Ste 201Houston, TX 77036 Write I could be completely wrong, but I'm just pondering out loud. Sharp designed the community to have all urban amenities, including hospitals, the Houston Music Theater (still there), a university (HBU), and a country club (now Sharpstown Park). The mall itself opened in 1975 with a two-story floorplan, anchored by Joske's on the west end and Sears on the east end, with the freeway frontage, and featured 60 stores and a food court, with its most notable architectural feature being an unconventional main entrance on the Bissonnet Street side of the mall; this entrance housed an elevator [14] Further cementing its status amongst its newfound "urban" clientele, on October 20, 2007, local hip hop radio station KPTY, owned by Univision (whose studio complex is located near the Galleria), opened a broadcast studio called Studio 104.9 where the station broadcast on a regular basis. Ok, the interior might be awesome but what about the food? My dad worked at Sharpstown mall when I was young and we used to go every Saturday, this was in the 60s & early 70s. Food Delivery ServicesComfort FoodCaterersGalleria/Uptown, Sausage & Pepper, Meatball, and Chicken Bacon Ranch, Definitely order the popcorn chicken. Also saw the Sharpstown Clock on ebaydidn't buy it either, but saved it to my computer Great photos indeed Max. The development of Sharpstown is credited to Houston businessman Frank Sharp. That was the event that reshaped (and lay the groundwork for) much of the city (not just Sharpstown) for many years to come. Man those were great times. January 3, 2006 in Historic Houston. Steve Pittman, communications director for the Authority and the Sharpstown Economic Development Authority, said construction should begin in March. And yes, the theater on Gessner and Beechnut was the Southway 6. [10] Oshman's Sporting Goods closed its store in 1997, around the same time it opened a store in the nearby suburb of Stafford to serve the Sugar Land area that once frequented Sharpstown for retail business. Reviews For The Easily Distracted: Are You There God? 20 board will meet this month to reconsider those specific improvements. I used to think that elevator right in front of the arcade was the most awesome thing in the world. 7118 Bellaire Blvd. This ensured that Sharpstown would be connected to the heart of Houston, and that deliveries to the new mall would also be reliable. I grew up there and stayed after the decline. 3. I think some townhomes are being built now on the other side of the street from that house on the south side of Willowbend. Then you have Westbury. We like it best inside a cheese-fattened pupusa with a mound of crunchy, tart curtidopickled cabbage and carrotson the side. The SFH around the golf course and across Bellaire as well as next to Braeburn are truly beautiful and property values are rising dramatically. The mall likely stared to loose it's luster either before or when the last remodel happenedwhen they made it look retro or 50's style (which is ironic since in opened in teh early 60's). Powered by Invision Community.
Bishop Phil Willis Funeral, Boldy James Albums Ranked, Emily Herren House Austin, Texas, Articles S