So where did all these rumors of lost gold in the Superstition Mountains originate? So who killed the Spanish treasure hunters that came to the land? In January 1932, human remains were discovered about three-quarters of a mile (1.21km) from where the skull had been found. Superstition Mountain has an elevation of 5,024 feet. (In truth, Apaches make up just one of the tribes found in the area, but these were typically all lumped in as "Apache" by white settlers who didn't appreciate the differences in Native American tribes.). In fact, the Dutchman lies on the eastern edge of the Superstitions, a few miles southwest of Iron Mountain. Seniors $6.00 (65 and older) He was able to find the richest ore in history right smack dab in the middle of the Superstition Mountains. They're convinced the mine is to the east of the mountains at the. Much of the truth has laid obscured in old Spanish, Jesuit and Catholic Church documentation, including maps, expedition journals, and diaries and in many cases with those buried in long ago lost and forgotten graves. Instead, he went missing and his skull was found 6 months later with two large circular holes. He further stated, after examining the two holes [in the skull], that it appeared that a shotgun or high-powered rifle had been fired through the head at almost point-blank range, making the small hole when the bullet entered and the large hole when it exited".[23]. As predicted by Waltz none are miners, they are in fact like most folks that are reading this post, just regular hard-working everyday folks with normal jobs, going to their kids ball games, playing a round of golf, and in the fall deer hunting and going to Blue Jackets NHL games. Rogers was partnered with Aaron Mason, foreman of the Silver King mine. Waltz found it in the mountains and came to grab gold out of it as needed. Furthermore, Wilburn stated that geology indicates that there is no gold in the Superstition Mountains, which are igneous in origin. Legend tells of the Lost Dutchman's gold mine hidden somewhere within the 160,000 acres of brutal Arizona desert known as the "Superstition Mountains." The promise of a $200 million mother. The search has been a profound one and I discovered that it wasnt the mine I was looking for, but the story. Thorne is said to be either unwilling or unable to relocate the mine. He really did emigrate from Germany, though this seems to have occurred decades before the legends claim, because there are verified documents showing he filed to become an American citizen in 1848, long before he supposedly arrived in 1860, according to the Superstition Mountain Museum. You need at a bare minimum, at least a three- man team. [11] According to Blair, the origin of this story can be traced to a doctor named Thorne who was in private practice in New Mexico in the 1860s. There is a Superstition Mountain Museum at 4087 N. Apache Trail, Highway 88 in Apache Junction. Some carved stones in the area are referred to as "Peralta Stones" and Spanish text and crude maps on them are considered by some to be clues to the location of a Peralta family gold mine in the Superstition Mountains, although others believe the stones to be modern fakes. Either way, she went to the mountains for a while to search. This is very important! On 8 June 2019, a fire broke out in the Superstitions Wilderness area and soon spread across 26,000 acres. Additionally, there is a partial tunnel, or drift, in the canyon below that moves in the direction of the main shaft and was crudely walled up. After he had spent many years in their midst, the Apache Elders decided to reward his selfless service with gold. The Dutchman Crazy Jake Adolph Ruth Train Robberies Indian Wars Ted DeGrazia. [5] One Lost Dutchman's mine is said to be in Colorado, another in California; two are said to be located in Arizona. In some versions of this story, Waltz was actually plundering these shrines for his own gold. Then, she took the map that was either from Waltz's imagination or her own and made a whole lot of money selling copies of it. Just to connect some dots, Mason was the fellow who staked the two soldiers who turned up dead while seeking their lost bonanza. According to the tales, a Spanish conquistador (often said to be Francisco Vazquez de Coronado, but sometimes reported as any number of other explorers, real and fictional) came to the Superstition Mountains in the mid-1500s searching for a mythical city of gold, one of the legendary Seven Cities of Gold, somewhere in the mountains, according to Legends of America. In the first, a doctor (sometimes said to be an Army doctor) called Dr. Thorne was said to have had a Native American man who needed medical assistance brought to him. gold is where you find it. Take, for example, the story of Adolph Ruth, an experienced treasure hunter who typically worked with his son, Erwin. Surprisingly, he was a real man. Considering that any mining activity in the area would be a federal crime, you can understand why folks might not be so forthcoming with information. It seems likely there was no Dr. Thorne, but there was a doctor in New Mexico who told a similar tall tale, except he was kidnapped by the Navajo tribe in his story. Early on during the Spanish Conquest, Conquistadors such as Francisco Vazquez de Coronado (1535) came to the American southwest (New Spain) in search of gold trying to locate, Montezumas Seven Cities of Cibola. To paraphrase an old Dutch Hunter, I dont know where the Dutchman is, but I know a thousand places it isnt! The meaning here is that gold can only exist in a prerequisite set of geological conditions. None of this rules out that he simply found a cache of abandoned gold, of course, and when he died, he did have in his possessions some high-grade gold ore, though its value is unclear and it may have just been for attracting potential investors in his prospecting operations. It is about three and a half miles of rough trail, though, if youre observant, you will eventually come across some of the more infamous Dutchman clues. Jacob Waltz took to returning to the mountains only when he needed the gold. Blair suggested that "fragments of this legend have perhaps become attached to the mythical mine of Jacob Waltz".[6]. Do some math. OH, I almost forgot there is no cell phone service absolutely none. The record high temperature is 128 degrees. By Catharina Moh. C. Colt1911 Tenderfoot. In some versions, he's not just a man but the chieftain of the Apache tribe. However, Ruth ignored Barkely's advice, and set out for a two-week stint in the mountains. It's not even out of the question the expedition was a misdirect to make it seem like she and her cohorts were looking for something to bolster the legend. Later I will give more details and then begin providing information on how things fit together. In yet another version of the tale, two (or more) U.S. Army soldiers are said to have discovered a vein of almost pure gold in or near the Superstition Mountains. [16] A man called Jacob Walz was born in September 1810 in Wrttemberg. However, things can go wrong. I also believe the mine was never lost. The Apaches were either enraged over the violation of their sacred mountains or wanted to steal the gold from them. The Superstition Mountains to the east of Phoenix, AZ reportedly hold a legendary motherlode of gold known as the Lost Dutchman Gold Mine. 4: Volunteer Coordinator George Flemming and Charles Enslinger filed claim on the Silver Chief mine in 1875. Don Miguel Peralta was the head of a powerful and wealthy Mexican family from Sonora, and they were either ranchers or operated mines or did both. In 1875, James Rogers made a claim there and dubbed it The Silver Chief. (2004). That's just the name we use for the group of mining exhibits that you'll experience when you visit the museum. The Pima Indians famously feared the mountain that they knew as Ain-we-gophon (Superstition Mountain). The Jesuits, who had been collecting the gold for many years from various sources, were said to be fleeing as they had been expelled from the Spanish empire, who owned most of the land that would eventually become the southwestern United States at the time, according to the Great American History Blog. After one hundred and twenty- five plus years incredibly, the Lost Dutchman Gold Mine has been found, proving that the legend is more than mere myth and as predicted by Jacob Waltz himself No miner will ever find my mine. While popular with campers, hikers, and adventure seekers, these mountains are also known for their exceedingly hot summers, freezing winters, harsh winds, unpredictable storms, treacherous terrain, and mysterious happenings. Recently, however, non-destructive tests have become possible and the two samples have been compared. [2] [3] It's unclear if Waltz himself ever specifically claimed to have a secret gold mine in the mountains, but one woman said he did claim just that Julia Thomas, Jacob Waltz's friend and neighbor, according to Skeptoid. The Superstition Mountain Historical Society was formed on December 27, 1979. Over the decades, this tale was gradually absorbed into the Lost Dutchman's story. Hanna-Barbara, Jean Giraud, and Don Rosa have incorporated the story in their cartoons. If you find the above article inaccurate or biased, please let us know at[emailprotected]. Full Moon Hike at Lost Dutchman. Follow the Process. These Native American legends aren't the only tales involving religion and gold stores in the area. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Here amongst this vast maize of volcanic interior, fixed and clinging to the mountain side, flanked on one side by a very small almost invisible ledge is the Lost Dutchman Gold Mine, like a small birds nest perched in the middle of a forest of giant oaks, concealed by the natural elements it obscures itself from all beasts of prey, especially man. Waltz did claim to have a treasure, but he really didn't and was simply telling tall tales to make his life seem more interesting, then Julia Thomas believed him. There have been many stories about how to find the mine, and each year people search for the mine. Willing died in 1874 before there had been a thorough investigation of the documents or opportunity to cross examine him on the stand as was later done with Reavis. So let me say it again, the documentation found ON the stones is the most important thing not so much who carved them. The location is generally believed to be in the Superstition Mountains, near Apache Junction, east of Phoenix, Arizona. [25] Blair noted that the conclusion of the Arizona authorities was rejected by many, including Ruth's family, and "those who held onto the more romantic murdered-for-the-map story". [8] The mine was quite profitable, earning about $35,000 in less than one year; Blair described this as "an unusually good return" for such a small gold mine to earn in such a relatively brief period. Aug 15, 2007 1,941 906 Primary Interest: To paraphrase an old Dutch Hunter, I dont know where the Dutchman is, but I know a thousand places it isnt! The meaning here is that gold can only exist in a prerequisite set of geological conditions. Previously, comparative tests which could prove that the matchbox and the Pit Mine samples were related were destructive in nature. These trails traverse from the desert floor up into the edges of the mountains. Home. According to Blair, the story may have its roots in the efforts of three U.S. soldiers to locate gold in an area of New Mexico, based on an allegedly true story related to them by Dr. Thorne of New Mexico; see above. He never came home. In this story (actually two interconnected stories), members of the Apache tribe are said to have a very rich gold mine located in the Superstition Mountains. The beginning and end of the tale will be told with ore. Gold ore has its own fingerprint, discernible from other gold ore. Most likely because Pedro de Peralta had been the Spanish Governor of New Mexico (in the 1600s) his family name of "Peralta" was the inspiration for a number of legends in the American Southwest. So what about Jacob Waltz? That's not even counting those hunting the treasure in the ensuing years. What really happened to Ruth? Then the Apaches killed Jacob Weiser,or according to some, Waltz himself did it. Kinos Mission San Xavier del Bac near Tucson unlike other missions in California was both massive and opulent, and still stands today. Here he worked at the Vulture Mine as a paid miner. The legend of the Lost Dutchman's gold mine is a quintessential version of just such a story. [28], One fact against the existence of "Lost Dutchman Mine" is that Waltz was a "placer miner"; while the gold pieces he had were in quartz, the Superstition Mountains are in fact volcanic. Then later the Mexicans including the powerful Peralta family made forays to the area from Sonora and are believed to have had 18 gold mines in the Supers. [13] In most versions of the tale, Jacob Waltz locates a rich gold mine in the Superstition Mountains (in many versions of the story, they rescue or help a member of the Peralta family and are rewarded by being told the location of the mine). Let's start with the basics. Shrouded in mystery, the mine is not only allegedly rich in gold but is also said to have a curse upon it, leading to a number of strange deaths and people who mysteriously go "missing" when they . There was a catastrophic flood in Phoenix in 1891, and Waltz's farm was one of many that was devastated. There's the thrill of the hunt, solving the clues, and what could be a better payoff than a big cache of riches? On the east side of Phoenix in Arizona lies the spectacular range of the Superstition Mountains that straddle the Tonto National Forest and the Superstition Wilderness area. Then around 1692, the Jesuit padre father Eusebio Francisco Kino arrived. The legend then states that, sometime later, the last Peralta survivor(s) were helped out of some kind of bind by Jacob Waltz, and in his debt, they gave him the only thing they had of value: a map to the Peralta family mine in the Superstition Mountains, according to Cowboys and Indiansmagazine. In researching this, I have had the fortune of speaking with some of the most knowledgeable historians and experts on the subject, which has only deepened my love for the Superstitions. I understand that it has been filled in recently and the surrounding area may have been hit by recent wildfires. Weavers Needle, a peak located in the Superstition Mountains. In the year 1870, with his consent, they blindfolded him and took him on a 20-mile trip to an unknown location piled with gold ore. It is open daily from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. except on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year. Sep 2, 2019 5 6 . The newcomers, thus, became the Pennsylvania Dutch. The location in question is called the Pit Mine or The Silver Chief. Lost Dutchman's Gold Mine is a supposedly rich gold mine either in the Superstition Mountains near Phoenix, Arizona, or somewhere in Mexico. Another well-known Dutch Hunter, Jack San Felice, boldly made the case for the Pit Mine in his book. Everyone loves a good treasure hunting story. Today along route 88 is a pull off gravel road, that leads out behind the Lost Dutchman Museum, you follow it to a designated area, here you will find marked trail signs with trails simply marked as the Massacre Grounds.. This land grant was the basis of the James Reavis Arizona land swindle (Reavis became Willing's partner and continued to try to prove the authenticity of the land grant for years after Willing's death). Keep in mind for security reasons for now I have to be selective on what we divulge. In 1977, 292 acres (118ha) abutting the Tonto National Forest were set aside as the Lost Dutchman State Park. While walking out of the horizontal shaft, you will walk over a 2' x 8' walkway. Indeed, there's yet another legend purporting to explain where the Dutchman might have acquired his gold. "The St. Johns herald. [7] A man named Miguel Peralta and his family did operate a successful mine in the 1860s but near Valencia, California, not in Arizona. [12] The three soldiers set out to find the gold, but without success. It is my understanding that the results, while not conclusive, state that there is about a seventy-five percent chance that they came from the same source. Eventually, the conquistador ordered his men to flee and he never returned to the mountains, which they called Monte Supersticin, thus giving the mountains the name of Superstition. Join us as we explore the Mysteries, Legends and stories of the Superstition Mountains. While Francisco Coronado did exist and did explore what is now the southwestern United States, there's nothing indicating he ever visited the Superstitions. January 1933 a Mining electrican named J.A. These steep, jagged volcanic mountains were formed over 29 million years ago and they cover an area of 160,000 acres. They removed his blindfold and let him take away as much as he could carry. Silvermines, historically known as Bellagowan (Irish: Bal tha Gabhann), is a village in County Tipperary in Ireland.It lies immediately north of the Silvermine mountain range and takes its name from the extensive mines of lead, zinc, copper, baryte and silver nearby. Of course, one obvious argument against this being the Dutchman is the fact that The Silver Chief was a silver mine, not a gold mine. 2: Cashiers for questions about whats happening at the museum and local area VISIT Is it possible he took his own life? Superstition Mountains - Ghost, lost mines, murder and mayhem. Superstition Mountain is located within the greater Superstition Mountains range 43 miles east of Phoenix, Arizona, in the fringe of the state's central mountain region. [26], Blair wrote that "the national wire services picked up the story [of Ruth's death] and ran it for more than it was worth", possibly seeing the mysterious story as a welcome reprieve from the bleak news that was otherwise typical of the Great Depression. I personally spoke with Ron a few months back when he described his findings to me, which he is publishing in a forthcoming book. Famed Apache Geronimo is sometimes mentioned in relation to this story. Behind The Scenes menu tab will take you to additional "Behind the Scenes" materials . A few folks who had claims prior to 1983 were allowed to continue to work them for a time, but I don't believe any of those claims are still being worked today. Though the remains had been scattered by scavengers, they were undoubtedly Ruth's. Finally, there really was a successful gold mining family named Peralta, but they were in California, not Arizona, according to Gold Rush Nuggets. [17] Note that tombstone pictured shows birth year as 1808. Waltz is attacked and wounded by marauding Apaches, but survives at least long enough to tell a man called Dr. Walker about the mine. We at Arcana Exploration believe we can show that this was later worked by Jacob Waltz, and after his death came to be known as the Lost Dutchman Gold Mine. The early Spanish the Peraltas the Jesuits and many others all came to the Superstition Mountains looking for legendary gold. Years later, a man called Dr. Thorne treats an ailing or wounded Apache (often alleged to be a chieftain) and is rewarded with a trip to a rich gold mine. They planned to return, but once they left, they were never seen again. Front View of the Peralta Stones. As early as September 1, 1892, The Arizona Enterprise was reporting on the efforts of Thomas and several others to locate the lost mine whose location was told to her by Waltz. The Superstition Mountain Mining Company (SMMC) No, we're not really a mining company. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Like most legends, when you strip it down as close to the truth as possible, it is never as glorious as imagined. The 500-year-old mines of Bolivia's Cerro Rico mountain produced the silver that once made the Spanish empire rich. In his 1945 book about the Lost Dutchman's mine. Unfortunately, when a group followed the clues given in Ruth's letter, they found nothing. In 1870, Waltz had a homestead of about 160 acres (0.65km2) near Phoenix where he operated a farm.[18]. Waltz was buried in Phoenix at what is now called the Pioneer and Military Memorial Park. In most variants of the story, the family of a man called Miguel Peralta discovered the mine and began mining the gold there, only to be attacked or massacred by Apaches in about 1850 in the supposed Peralta massacre. Ruth did not return as scheduled, and no trace of him could be found after a brief search. 5: Museum Administration and Membership matters, E-MAILVolunteering questions: [emailprotected]Site rentals: [emailprotected]Membership questions: [emailprotected]Retail and event issues: [emailprotected]Accounting issues: [emailprotected]Administrative and other issues: [emailprotected]FAX(480) 288-6524, Closed: Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years Day and Easter. Image property of Arcana Exploration, photo taken at the Lost Dutchman Museum Apache Junction, Arizona. In December, 1931, The Arizona Republic reported on the recent discovery of a human skull in the Superstition Mountains. According to some storytellers, in September 1848, a band of Apaches slaughtered the entire Peralta Family, except one (someone had to live to tell the tale). This is what brought him to the Superstition Mountains (yes, that's their real name) near what is today the city of Phoenix, Arizona. As the mountains have a desert climate and few water resources, there is not much vegetation here. In speaking with one local historian and trusted source, he connects quite a few players to the site, not the least of which is Herman Petrasch. The only thing slightly off the cuff, is that three of them do ride their Harleys from central Ohio to Sturgis and back on a regular basis, but more about them later. In 1875, James Rogers made a claim there and dubbed it The Silver Chief. When the townspeople went to look for them, they found nearly all of the family slaughtered. In the version in which the Apaches killed the Peralta Family, the surviving member then went on to get embroiled in a brawl fight years later. However, the Peralta Mine eventually became unprofitable and after the money was gone Miguel Peralta turned to fraud. The stories differ from here onward. Later, he remarked that he had noticed a towering rock formation nearby, but otherwise remained clueless about the whereabouts of the place. Also, there's no documentation showing he ever filed a claim for a mine in the Superstitions or any paperwork showing where he allegedly sold mass amounts of gold. Dr. George M. Willing Jr. paid Peralta $20,000 for the mining rights for an enormous swath of land about 3,000,000 acres (12,000km2) in southern Arizona and New Mexico based on a deed originally granted by the Spanish Empire in the 18th century. Arcana has had the luxury of having had the site location for over three years, and for this reason we have been able to reverse engineer, historical information and put many of the pieces together. July 3, 1947 James A Cravey, age 62, a retired photographer, was reported missing after he had chartered a helicopter June 19, 1947 to drop him off in the Superstition Mountains to look for the Lost Dutchmans Mine. None of the tribes in the area ever considered the mountains to be sacred, and while the Apache tribe does have a thunder deity in their religious beliefs, they don't claim he lives in the Superstitions. While the Jesuits were eventually allowed to return to the area, it seems they either forgot the treasure or couldn't find it, and so it was still in the mountains when it was perhaps discovered by none other than the Dutchman himself, Jacob Waltz. Many people took the landmark to be the Weavers Needle but had no luck finding any gold nuggets in its vicinity. Supposedly one of their 18 mines was very rich and they considered it their alfa mine. Richman, Irwin. Choice of of building material I like Ironwood +, There is a typo that should be alpha mine not alfa mine. It is common knowledge that someone was working the mine in the late 1990s, though what exactly they extracted varies between tellers. The highest peak of the range is Keeper Hill or Slievekimalta at 694 metres (2,277 ft) high. The case for the Pit Mine is not new, in fact it has been an open secret for quite some time. Many people have died trying to find it over the years, and, even with all the modern technology at our disposal today, the exact location of the mine in the vast wilderness still remains an enigma. There are secrets yet in those mountains, blood and gold in the most literal sense. "Dutchman's Gold" was the season 4, episode 19 of, This page was last edited on 6 April 2023, at 12:08. Not much silver was recovered in the 1979 time period and there was no mention of gold having been taken. Through the years, truth and fiction about . Tales of these other Lost Dutchman's mines can be traced to at least the 1870s. Forums. It's impossible to know for certain, but there is one big clue. He turned out to be the surviving Peralta, and, to express his gratitude, he gave them directions to his familys gold mine in the Superstition Mountains. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. The easy 1.5 mile trail features some rocky, rough terrain but with little elevation gain. Except perhaps not. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. The breathable air on some surfaces actually gets even hotter; this is the biggest killer in the Superstition Mountains and dont forget the rattle snakes, scorpions, tarantula spiders, Gila monsters plus huge mountain lions and dozens of other things that will take your life. Over the next few weeks and months I will share some photos that will not give away the location but will show things that until now have never been shown before.
Recent Deaths In Cowlitz County, Update Android Head Unit To Android 11, Nbc California Live Hosts, If Wacc Increases What Happens To Irr, Articles S