This was dubbed a critical spring for DeJong, coming off a season in which the 2019 All-Star hit .157 and spent more than two months at Triple-A Memphis. At that point, I thought its best for Pauly to go down and try to figure it out at a level where theres not the extra pressure, and its best for our club from a production standpoint to have someone at short.. Weve seen BABIP-fueled power surges from him before. An outfield in flux. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. The starting shortstop job was DeJong's to win back, and a promising spring campaign one where DeJong "felt like (himself)" again seemed to indicate this would be the season where he . He went three for four with a homer and no Ks. USE OF THIS SITE CONSTITUTES ACCEPTANCE OF OUR TERMS OF USE AND PRIVACY POLICY. With so many internal infield options at both the major- and minor-league levels, the Cardinals want to be sure theyve exhausted all their options before resorting to a major roster change. Edman played shortstop in college and in the minor leagues and is comfortable either way., He is confident in his ability to play short, Marmol said. He emerged from those sessions with a more balanced swing, newly confident that he could get back to being the player who smashed 74 home runs from 2017-19, finished second in National League Rookie of the Year voting in '17 and played in the All-Star Game in '19. I'll explain more in a forthcoming story @TheAthleticSTL pic . He had been scheduled to return to action Tuesday, before experiencing the setback Monday morning trying to backhand a ground ball and simulate his throwing motion. I think the Milwaukee Brewers' offense is starting to show signs of life after finishing April ranked 17th in OPS (.673) and 19th in wRC+ (95). He played college baseball at the Illinois State University. The organization was patient: In 2020 he suffered a bout of COVID-19 during the already-condensed pandemic season, and in 2021 broke a rib after being hit by a pitch in mid-May. He is then expected to advance through light throwing. He batted just .223 but found his power again, popping nine home runs and posting an .820 OPS. In May, DeJong played just eight games for the Cardinals, batting .115 with a .297 OPS. Thats the role DeJong is being asked to fill, even if hes being paid starters money. During his rehab assignment, Paul DeJong (back) batted .302 and produced a .900 OPS in 12 games between Class Low-A and Class AAA. MORE:Cardinals bolster pitching staff in deadline deal with Pirates for Quintana. Lets look at his AAA season to see if we can find a glimmer of hope in his tiny sample size of 40 plate appearances. JUPITER, Fla. -- The Cardinals received some roster clarity Monday, when shortstop Paul DeJong suffered a setback in his return from lower back pain that has kept him off the field for the better part of the past week. I cant do normal things right now, so it's definitely not playable. Keep up with the latest trending news in sports with our daily newsletter. For me, its about breaking every situation down and not getting ahead of myself, DeJong said. And it would backfire on him. Sign up to receive our daily Morning Lineup to stay in the know about the latest trending topics around Major League Baseball. However, Sosa will have a legitimate shot to win the job outright once he returns from the COVID-19 IL, which is likely to come by Thursday. Paul DeJong is a professional baseball player who is currently playing in the Major League Baseball(MLB). But with Motter having recorded a hit in two of his first three games, DeJongs path back to the big leagues will not be devoid of adversity. His ERA at the end of April was a sparkling 0.84. JUPITER, Fla. Back in mid-March, long after the majority of the major leaguers had headed back to the clubhouse for the day or left for the golf course there stood Paul DeJong on an . Hes considerably better against righties than lefties. The clubs first-round Draft pick in 2015, Woodford emerged as a valuable depth arm in 2022, pitching to a 2.23 ERA across 48 1/3 innings in a versatile role. Follow Katie on Twitter @katiejwoo, Cardinals optioned former All-Star shortstop. Cardinals shortstop Paul DeJong hits an RBI double in the fifth inning of a game against the Yankees on Sunday, Aug. 7, 2022, at Busch Stadium. The Cardinals do not believe that DeJong's back injury is serious, but it is another setback. In July, DeJong was hit with a pitch and missed a few weeks. I mean, we knew that once we were going to explore other options at short, that this wasnt a move where you just play the other guy and Paul sits on the bench. He was sent to Triple-A in 2022 after batting .130 through 24 games into the season. It was going to be a move where he went down. DeJong's +1 DRS tells a slightly different story than his -3 . Part of me wants to see progress in there. Before his back flared up, he was limited to hitting only during the first week of camp as he recovered from right arm soreness. I fully commend DeJong for trying something new and for his willingness to put in the work to change. Donovan and Corey Dickerson are the primary left-handed bench bats for now, and Juan Yepezs fantastic start to his career has limited Gormans opportunity to be strictly a designated hitter. Maybe they just really like a very likable player that theyve worked with for a decade and wanted to give him another chance? The Cardinals will send right-hander Jack Flaherty to the mound as they look to avoid a sweep vs. Seattle in the first leg of their three-city, west coast road trip. There is data in those 40 PAs to fuel both sides. The ball will tell you whats going on. He was never very good at recognizing and driving non-fastballs. Pauly D gives the #STLCards the lead with a two-run double! She is a graduate of Arizona State University and originates from Northern California. Taylor Motter, a non-roster invite who spent time with the Reds organization last year, could also be under consideration as the Cardinals look to pin down their Opening Day roster by next week. I dont know if that was a strategic decision. So, Dejong returned. April 22nd, 2023. DeJong will share the middle infield on Sunday with Nolan Gorman. DeJong barely had any time this spring and hit the IL on Opening Day to both rehab his back and get in some Spring Training before roster mechanics forced the club to activate him. Instead, DeJong has spent the spring hampered by minor injuries. Nolan Arenado (infield single) was on second base, Tyler ONeill (walk) was on first. As we look forward to his 23 season, even in this very early season sample size, we can draw some notable parallels with his lamentable 22 season. With 1.5 years left on his six-year, $26 million contract, it feels rather improbable that he sees extended time in the majors with St. Louis. Its hard for me to say that anything worked. His 2024 team also has a club option on him for 2025 worth $15 million. He played for the St. Louis Cardinals in the position of shortstop and was drafted in the 2015 MLB Draft in the fourth round. Following an injury- and illness-filled 2020, DeJong clubbed 19 home runs in '21, but he lost his starting job to Edmundo Sosa. "When I first got down there, I was anticipating when I would be coming back, but as time went on I was just focusing on playing the game down there. He has 1967 plate appearances of 92 wRC+ since his rookie season. I knew if I did my job down there, I would get a chance back up here. Both Mozeliak and Marmol have said before that when Gorman is called up, it will be as an everyday player. "Tough inning. DeJong is back. Paul DeJong is back. His breaking and offspeed rates soared. That said, its hard to see another team taking on his contract considering his extensive struggles in the majors, and that would mean that DeJong being DFAd is the most likely scenario, barring him bouncing back in a big way and Gorman struggling in the majors. The warning signs were there from the beginning. DeJong, 28, has a murky future with the Cardinals after the season. Coming off a 2022 season in which he hit .157 and was demoted to Triple-A Memphis on May 10, DeJong spent most of his offseason at the team's Florida complex reworking his approach at the plate. Could DeJong do that again? But when you think about whats best for him, whats best for the organization and really this club right now, we found it was going to be difficult to get him at-bats and get right while were trying to win games at the major-league level. Get ALL the latest MLB news straight to your inbox! . Maybe we should have expected the unexpected at the end of this game. St. Louis Cardinals' Paul DeJong (11) and Lars Nootbaar (21) celebrate a 4-3 victory over the New York Yankees following of a baseball game Friday, Aug. 5, 2022, in St. Louis. At least not very often. St. Louis will prepare to be without DeJong for at least a couple of weeks. RHP Adam Wainwright (groin): Wainwright made a rehab appearance on Wednesday with Class AA Springfield and completed three innings, allowing two runs on four hits. It seemed very likely that once DeJong started facing the worlds best pitching again, his K rate would climb back up to 30%. Im sorry this has happened. Paul DeJong wears a mask when he is in public. last time Flaherty took the mound for the Cardinals, he threw a season-high six innings and allowed a season-high four runs on four hits against Arizona on April 17. Sent down to . His homerun per flyball rate was 23.9% a high rate built on offense-oriented minor league ballparks and developing pitchers with sketchy command. He replaced the high leg kick that he used early in his career with a more balanced stance, in which he keeps his weight back and barely lifts his foot. Sign up for our newsletter to keep reading. If Sosa doesnt seize the opportunity, Edman may be forced to slot over to shortstop and refine his skills on the fly. Since hes been here, hes put together quality at-bats. The . He made his MLB debut in 2017. Tommy Edman will be the clubs starting shortstop this season, and while the Cardinals have a plethora of versatile infielders, DeJong was the most serviceable option at shortstop behind Edman. He missed the beginning of the campaign with a back injury but has started four of the . I believe he (or someone like him) has a necessary role to play on this club. Following an offseason spent reworking his swing, DeJong was limited to 13 at-bats during spring training because of a back injury. I can't touch my toes. In 2017 DeJong hit .285/.325/.532 with 25 homers in 443 PAs and a 123 wRC+. I have always wanted to make everyone proud and I plan on coming back stronger than ever.. Video by Derrick Goold. His 24 and 9 wRC+ pre-demotion and post-return surge are extremely discouraging. A random home run in a AAA game is not normally a noteworthy event. Obviously, its still very early in the season. Me? He was optioned to Triple A last May after hitting .130 over the first 24 games of the year. Or if it was just the natural evolution of DeJongs swing. His flyball rate was 36.4%. Hes struck out just 11. Paul Sterling DeJong (born August 2, 1993) is an American professional baseball shortstop for the St. Louis Cardinals of Major League Baseball (MLB). We cant if Tommys at second, and we dont want to just move Tommy over there without a strategic plan for that transition.. This league is hard up here, and hell be tested. But its highly possible that DeJong has played his last game in St. Louis, which would be the latest sign that the Cardinals middle infield of the future will feature Edman at shortstop and Gorman at second base. A World Series winner as a player and the big, booming voice of summer as a broadcaster, St. Louis native spent more than 50 years as a champi, Walker was not in the internal lineup Wednesday for a third consecutive day, and the reason: He's being demoted to Class AAA. So that part will be reduced. How will the Cardinals cover shortstop? Infielder who was a fourth round pick of the St. Louis Cardinals in the 2015 MLB Draft. Paul DeJong was at bat for the home club. Try a week on us. While Marmol declined the notion there was a set timetable for when the organization would like to see progress from DeJong, there was also a growing sense that the clock was ticking. His fast start in his return from the minors is reminiscent of 2022 when, following a nearly three-month-long demotion due to poor performance, DeJong cranked homers in consecutive days and went on a two-week bender (.646 slugging% and a 182 wRC+) before falling back into his old habits. dark. But which former are we talking about? Hed been fantastic since New York traded for him before the July 2021 trade deadline, and the Yankees expected to give him a season full of important outs, though not necessarily at the very end of ballgames. That move is expected to come late Saturday night or before Sundays game. He did not allow a single walk. Tommys having an incredible season for us right now at second, Mozeliak said. Tommy Edman has a 94 career wRC+ against right-handed pitchers as a lefty batter. In his return to the lineup, DeJong will hit ahead of rookie Jordan Walker, who got a day off on Saturday and is batting .271 with 11 RBIs in 19 games to start his MLB career. If he simplified his approach to get the barrel to the ball quicker, then why did he whiff so often on minor league pitches early this season? Arenado and ONeill scored, and the Cardinals suddenly led 4-3. The adjustment wasnt coming to fruition in the actual games. SEATTLE -- Shortstop Paul DeJong, whose career has been marred by shocking struggles much of the past three seasons, is headed back to the Cardinals and could be activated as soon as Sunday, president of baseball operations John Mozeliak said Saturday. DeJong, a former All-Star, struggled mightily last year. He has gone 1-for-9 with two walks and three strikeouts. CHICAGO -- The ever-sturdy, ever-reliable Paul DeJong has been such a constant in Cardinals lineups since he debuted in 2017 that the club has stressed the need to simply find their shortstop a breather over the course of this campaign and those of the past. Remove a leg kick. The former All-Star shortstop is currently on a rehab assignment at Triple-A Memphis. To create space for DeJong on the 26-man roster, Taylor Motter was designated for assignment. He had an unsustainable .349 BABIP, a well-below average 4.7% walk rate, and a 28% strikeout rate in 17. In a move long overduethough jarring, nonethelessthe Cardinals demoted Paul DeJong, optioning the shortstop to Triple-A Memphis on Tuesday. From there, DeJongs average exit velocity began to dip. In 18 and 19, DeJong showed some signs of maturity all while seeing his overall offensive production drop. Undoubtedly, DeJong's 2018 and 2019 seasons with the club were his best. If Woodfords performance is any indication, it shouldn't be him. On Twitter, Cardinals insider Jeff Jones provided an update on where things stand and revealed what manager Oli Marmol had to say about the matter. From 20-22, DeJongs whiffs rose. The result was a league-average player with improving defense. Taylor Motter re, With two statistically more powerful options available off the bench, manager sticks with Dylan Carlson's keen play for key at-bat in 1-0 loss, Clearly, when you look at it just from what we have done, it hasnt been working, says executive John Mozeliak of outfield rotation amidst l, Ryan Helsley, rarely used in recently because Cardinals so rarely had a lead, allows walk-off homer in 5-4 loss to Giants that underscores mul. Catchers once in a lifetime lunge saves Cardinals, The world watches (and makes donations) as St. Louis bald eagle raises eaglet from a rock, Governor threatens to keep Missouri lawmakers in session over transgender rules, Barat Academy in Chesterfield to close after years of financial troubles, Four young people die in Old Monroe head-on crash, Court records online include private information for thousands of Missouri residents, Archdiocese releases third draft of proposed changes to St. Louis parishes. He will see more balls land in good places if he can turn on them than if he tries to drive them with pop the other direction. Could Paul DeJong provide a 94 wRC+ or better against primarily right-handed pitchers while giving Edman time off to stay fresh defensively? He wasn't much better last . Paul DeJong to Paul Goldschmidt. Unsubscribe at any time. Over his four starts this season, Flexen has allowed 22 hits and 15 runs in 17 1/3 innings. His walks stayed fairly consistent, helped by the rising number of balls out of the strike zone, but his batting average, barrel rate, and expected stats all took a nosedive. Thats why taking the time to start becoming comfortable with a possible transition now is so imperative. Eligibility restrictions apply. Thats Paul DeJong. Instead, DeJong faltered to the point where Mozeliak had no choice but to demote him. The St. Louis Cardinals shortstop Paul DeJong has finally made his debut in the 2023 MLB season and it did not take him much time before making his presence felt on offense. Prior to joining The Athletic, Katie spent two years covering the minor leagues as an editorial producer for MiLB.com and spent the 2018 MLB season covering the San Diego Padres as an associate reporter for MLB.com. Depending on the quality of that player, the Cardinals would have at best broken even and likely would have had to add payroll to make the trade and cover their butts positionally. DeJong, now 29 with five years of MLB service time, homered in his first big league at-bat in Colorado back in 2017. I do think other teams had some interest; he could have been moved. The change in his batted ball data is your muse. Subscribe to The Athletic for in-depth coverage of your favorite players, teams, leagues and clubs. FanGraphs has a projected playing time of only 15 percent at the shortstop position in St. Louis for Paul DeJong, while Tommy Edman owns an 81 percent projected 81 percent playing time in the same infield slot. Next. Thats worrisome. This game is about production, Mozeliak said. His xBA (expected batting average) of .158 ranked in the bottom percent of the entire league. Paul DeJong, just three years after being an All-Star with the St. Louis Cardinals, is playing for the Memphis Redbirds, hoping to turn career around. DeJong, meanwhile, was tasked with getting his career back on track in the minors. Call (800) 327-5050 or visit gamblinghelpline.ma.org (MA), Call 877-8-HOPENY/text HOPENY (467369) (NY). He went three for four with a homer and no Ks. The Cardinals would prefer to stay away from using Gorman as a role player, unlike Donovan, Robertson and Lars Nootbaar. And listening carefully. May 11, 2022 9:18 am. Last chance! The past did not dictate the present. Try a week on us. In the process, hes outpitched Hudson considerably. That new stance seemed to be paying off for DeJong in early March when he hit a long home run off the batters eye against the Nationals. I think all those things translate to the Major League level. Updated: 10:27 PM CDT August 8, 2022. Yes, he has a 118 wRC+. WASHINGTON -- Paul DeJong is back with the Cardinals, though not officially, yet. So I'm going to have to back off until I feel like I can flex my spine and rotate it. He also dabbles in college hoops and other sports. "He continues to get better and better, and that was a pretty impressive outing, Cardinals manager Oliver Marmol said. Email notifications are only sent once a day, and only if there are new matching items. Cardinals Insider Provides Positive Adam Wainwright Update. The righty is expected to throw around 75 pitches in the outing. Paul DeJong is looking to bounce back in 2023. Given his recent struggles in previous years, there may not be a clear path back for the former slugger. But Im just thankful for my chance to be here still, and I'm just going to do what I can every day until I hear anything else.. His setback will require at least a week of rehab, meaning DeJong will all but surely start the season on the injured list. (Photo by Greg Fiume/Getty Images) Paul DeJong was one of three St. Louis Cardinals players who began the 2023 season on the injured list.. DeJong has been dealing with a back issue, while Wilking Rodriguez is out with a shoulder issue and Adam Wainwright is recovering from a groin injury.. DeJong, who has been the clubs starting shortstop since 2017 and is signed through 2023 on a six-year, $26 million contract, was 10-for-77 with a meager .417 OPS through 24 games. Check back in at stltoday.comthroughout the afternoon and evening for coverage of the game. Believing in my stuff, and knowing that it's small tweaks at this point. Katie Woo is a staff writer for The Athletic covering the St. Louis Cardinals. You would be hard-pressed to find two players following more divergent paths in the 2022 season. I am sure that little splits-oriented nuance is part of the reason the club decided fairly early in the offseason to bring him back. Maybe they had a plan to fix him? DeJong, who spent most of his rehab assignment with Class AAA Memphis, is starting at shortstop at batting seventh in his return to the lineup. The pitcher with the 1.77 ERA vs. the hitter with the .140 average in 2022. But, again, in Memphis. Cardinals 2, Dodgers 2. Those realities hid trouble coming. DeJong had missed the last few games due to lower back tightness but was targeting a return to game action by Tuesday. And even if he does, its possible that he has played his last game in a Cardinals uniform. Matt Carpenter Bids Farewell To A Cardinals Legend, A Legendary MLB Announcer Has Passed Away, Jordan Montgomery Has Suffered Some Shocking Bad Luck, Cardinals Analyst Calls Out Manager's Key Decision, Cardinals Insider Notes A Frustrating Trend, The Cardinals Have Achieved A Dubious Mark, Cardinals' Quiet Offseason Has Come Back To Haunt Them, Miles Mikolas Discusses His Catcher's Amazing Play, Paul Goldschmidt Is At The Top Of An Elite List, St. Louis Cardinals Hometown Hero Celebrates A Special Day, Cardinals Legend Is Celebrating A Special Day Today, Cardinals Analyst Provides Update On Adam Wainwright, The Cardinals Made A Puzzling Move On Wednesday, Cardinals Writer Sums Up The Precarious State Of The Team, Cardinals Pitching Is Making History For All The Wrong Reasons, Cardinals GM's Latest Comments Will Frustrate Fans, Adam Wainwright Has A Message For His Doubters, Cardinals Fans Are Left Infuriated After Latest Loss, The Cardinals Own A Shocking Mark This Season, Cardinals Insider Calls For Change After Rocky Start, Adam Wainwright Preaches Faith In Cardinals Despite Tough Start, Jack Flaherty Was Throwing Heat On Sunday, The Cardinals Are In An Elite Offensive Group, Lars Nootbaar Continues To Be A Global Legend. As you can imagine, the pressure of playing at this level, especially in this city where winning is demanded, its tough. But the back issue flared up Tuesday, preventing DeJong from fully bending down to field grounders. He hit just .157 to go along with a lackluster .530 OPS through 77 games with St. Louis. Or at least not worse. Thats a recipe for the debacle we saw in 21 and 22 when the only thing that kept DeJong alive was very good defense, the memory of better days, and the contract he signed back when. And for one at-bat in the bottom of the eighth inning of a contest between the Yankees and Cardinals, the result was anything but subtle. Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device. In the minors. Move up in the box, back in the box, sideways in the box, and erase the box with their foot before standing on the plate. They didn't quite have in mind the . However, DeJong may be close to making his way back. DeJong signed a six-year deal with the Cardinals worth $26 million back in 2018, and he is pressed to have a good performance this year if he wants St. Louis to have his 2024 club option ($12.5 . DeJong went 2-for-13 in his spring appearances, though he did work six walks, and one of those two hits was a home run. With 10 days remaining until the Cardinals open the regular season March 30, the team acknowledges time is running out for DeJong to heal and ramp up for Opening Day. St. Louis Cardinals' Paul DeJong bats during the seventh inning of a baseball game against the Pittsburgh Pirates Saturday, April 9, 2022, in St. Louis. Sign up to receive our daily Morning Lineup to stay in the know about the latest trending topics around Major League Baseball. He will be reevaluated after that start and would be considered for a return to the majors. Despite his immediate impact on the Cardinals, its probably going to take some more time before he finds a solid role on the team, according to Cardinals outfielder Katie Woo. Heres how Mozeliak and manager Oli Marmol answered: When the Cardinals embarked for Kansas City and San Francisco last week, there was already a heavy sense of pressure mounting on DeJong, who posted a mere .247 on-base percentage through the month of April. ST. LOUIS What a major league baseball player was yesterday is not necessarily what he is today. That K rate is your soapbox. He is then expected to advance through light throwing. All-Star shortstop Paul DeJong apologized to Cardinals fans for his minor-league demotion, vowing to come back "stronger than ever" when he returns from Triple-A Memphis. THE COLD WIRE IS A REGISTERED TRADEMARK OF COLD WIRE MEDIA. The closest hes gotten since was 16% in 2021. When the St. Louis Cardinals optioned Paul DeJong to Triple-A Memphis, the domino effect immediately followed. But I just got to keep going. So, Im really looking forward to Paul going up and helping our club.. When he struggled again to open the 2022 season, DeJong was demoted to Triple-A, but eventually worked his way back to the Majors. Jeff Chiu/AP Show More Show Less 2 of 9 St. Louis Cardinals' Alec Burleson, right, is congratulated by Paul DeJong (11) after hitting a home run during the seventh inning of a baseball game . Paul DeJong hasnt had a season with a batting average better than .200 since 2020 when he hit .250.
Rubrik Visio Stencils, Percentage Of Spanish Speakers In Texas, Articles W