"That was a pinnacle moment in my career, to be able to be on a ship that was manned by what we called the 'Oceans 27'," says McCue. or redistributed. Market data provided by Factset. Yes, even sisters ships are slightly different in certain things so you always need a familiarization period when you first enter the ships. If you've ever sailed on a cruise ship, you could almost count on the fact that the captain. 301 Route 17 N, Suite 1150, Rutherford, NJ You've successfully subscribed to this newsletter! So, I said: 'Throw that out the window, I'm going to be me.'". This is the best souvenir of all the time. My goal since then was to become a captain," she says. "It was important for me to stay as long as I could to make sure that the 1,350 crew members that we had on Celebrity Edge -- and all of the crew members that we had in our fleet in the Caribbean -- that we could get off, did get off.". Now I get an email at the beginning of the day, in the middle of the day, at the end of the day. So, we put that out in the world. When Celebrity Cruises Captain Kate McCue became the first American woman to captain a mega cruise ship in 2015, it didn't take her long to bring her hairless Sphinx aboard. 07070 USA Telephone: (201) 902-2000. They come onboard to have a good time and when people are putting out that positive energy it gets your adrenaline going. McCue picked up on the theme during our conversation last week and reiterated her phrase: "If you can see ('sea') it, you can be it.". With that,McCue's path wasset. "I 'sea' what you did there," she riposted when I called her out on it during a recent phone call. FollowAAA ExplorerandWestwaysfor the latest on what to see and do. The places we are visiting, the people we have onboard, even the weather. He looked at me, then at the letter, then back at me. The reality star and Florida native is pregnant with her first child, PEOPLE can exclusively reveal, due May 2023. The places we visit, the people we have onboard, even the weather. But the opportunity to go to a new-build ship, that's something special. To change your preferences at any time, click the Do not Sell my Personal Information link in the footer of this page. McCue spent the spring, summer and first days of fall navigating the choppy waters of Covid-19's cruise restrictions and trying to do her best by her staff. Any time the bridge team needs support whether there are additional ships in traffic or we're close to land, or the weather changes they call me. Covid-19 brought the cruise industry to a standstill -- virus-hit ships were quarantined and passengers were denied disembarkation. McCue, 43, is currently the captain of the Celebrity Edge, an Edge Class ship homeported at Port Everglades inFort Lauderdale, Florida. I have overall command of the ship. Captain Kate McCue has been married to her husband, Nikola Petrovic, since 2006. When McCue started at Celebrity, she found herself returning to this feedback, and trying her best to remain poker-faced. See how we can help you plan, book, and save on your next vacation. You can put a boat on a ship but you cant put a ship on a boat, thats why we are on a ship with lifeboats rather than a big boat with life ships. But on many occasions people thought Id be taller when theyve met me in person. Being a minority because of gender, race, religion, cultural background, sexual orientation etc. My dad was working at Area 51 [a highly classified Air Force facility in Nevada]. All Rights Reserved. McCue was home on a brief shore leave and professed to be glad to talk social media and take a break from the house renovation she's embarked on with her husband, the fleet chief engineer of Virgin Voyages, aka @chief_nikolapetrovic. I think my husband and I would be such an awesome pair. Get the latest offers from AAA Travels preferred partners. I said to my dad, I am going to work as a cruise director when I grow up. And he said, You can do that, or you can drive the thing.. It was similar to third officer, assisting the first officer with the watch. That will be my equivalent of having a child. I think that offers a very unique perspective, they come and want advice about maternity etc. But Ive spend 19 years doing watch on a bridge for 8 hours a day so Ive earned my time towalk around the ship and enjoy what we have. The 42-year-old captain for Celebrity Cruises responded to a now-deleted TikTok account that sent a sexist message that read: "How can you be a captain? She has been a captain at Celebrity Cruises since the summer of 2015, where she has served as a master the highest ranking captain role on a cruise ship, according to CruiseShipJob.com. Spouses are. When it came time for my promotion, he went to a newly built ship over in Asia. She thought it looked like fun to work on the ship, maybe as an event planner. When she was 12, .css-tjvzc4{-webkit-text-decoration:none;text-decoration:none;text-decoration-thickness:0.0625rem;text-decoration-color:inherit;text-underline-offset:0.25rem;color:inherit;-webkit-transition:all 0.3s ease-in-out;transition:all 0.3s ease-in-out;border-bottom:thin solid #6F6F6F;}.css-tjvzc4:hover{color:#595959;text-decoration-color:border-link-body-hover;}Kate McCuewent on her first cruise with her family. Last but no least, the bridge. My parents finally said, We love you, but for the love of Pete, go buy your own house. So we moved about 300 steps away from them. The maneuvering part is the most fascinating part of the job. "I look forward to the day where, honestly, being the first female anything isn't a thing anymore," says McCue. McCue said she takes such instances in stride and good humor, often posting them to her well-known TikTok account. McCue says the crew on Edge rallied around one another, and she celebrated every time a crew member successfully disembarked the ship and reunited with their loved ones. We're talking of course about Captain Kate McCue, the first female cruise ship captain in America who's spent the past . Seeing our guests walk back up the gangway. Many people ask this question about the money Kate McCue makes from Twitter. We'll send you a weekly newsletter to your inbox. Get That Lifeis a weekly series that reveals how successful, talented, creative women got to where they are now. The 43-year-old Celebrity Cruises captain has amassed nearly 3 million followers on TikTok, regaling them with videos about life at sea, her career and videos of her cat Bug Naked. McCue laughed -- no, it doesn't. Captain Kate McCue will take the helm of Celebrity Cruises' third Edge-class cruise ship, Celebrity Beyond. Celebrity Beyond is currently in the final stages of construction at the Chantiers de lAtlantique shipyard in Saint-Nazaire, France. The very first thing I say when I introduce myself to every single person onboard the ship via the PA system is Hi, this is captain Kate but you can call me a captain because it took me 19 years to earn this title so they know what to expect. I received my promotion to captain from Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, the first female president and CEO of Celebrity Cruises [which is part of Royal Caribbean], which is extra special. . By Andrea Sachs. Spouses are usually permitted to accompany captains whilst they are on voyages. I am trying to get to know as many passengers as possible while they are on board. It's more traumatic for me to come home. Please only use it for a guidance and Kate McCue's actual income may vary a lot from the dollar amount shown above. In March 2020, in honor of International Womens Day, the Celebrity Edge cruise ship set sail on a groundbreaking voyage. She had such a great time that she mentioned to her father that she wantedto become a cruise director. I started as second officer. When she became the commanding officer of Celebrity Summit in 2015, it was the first time that an American woman had been named captain of a "Mega" cruise ship. Offering these words of wisdom and acting as a role model for other young female seafarers is important to McCue, but she hopes one day it'll be redundant. Once completed, the third Edge-class cruise ship will be 140,600 gross tons with a guest capacity of 3,260 along with 1,400 crew members from 60 countries. I'm oncall 24/7. Captain Kate McCue on Beyond released a TikTok story answering follower questions. When I started in 2015 we only had a 3% female bridge team fleetwide. According to McCue, a mega cruise ship has a gross tonnage of 80,000 or more; the Celebrity Edge's is almost 131,000. Trying on theater costumes. Lufthansa gives it a try, I found the rest I needed across from a strip mall, Uniworld Boutique River Cruise Collection, What's hot on the Las Vegas pool scene this season, Hyatt is acquiring the Mr and Mrs Smith hotel collection, Western mountain resorts are facing a demand erosion this summer, With more ships and new homeports, MSC Cruises is attracting Americans, Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort is getting new cabins, Virgin Voyages' Scarlet Lady will have a branded poker room. The local tourism board is a good resource for updated information. Join TravelAge West and severalAlaskapartners for a three-part series exploring all the incredible possibilities https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Insights/Instagram-Celebrity-captain. We use cookies and similar technologies to collect device data and usage information for analytics, measuring the effectiveness of ads, personalizing content, and tailored advertising. on the Beyond in January so maybe well get to sail with her again I do agree she adds positivity to the ship so it would be a nice treat if it does happen! Making coffee in the espresso bar. When she became the commanding officer of Celebrity Summit in 2015, it was the first time that an American woman had been named captain of a "Mega" cruise ship. As Captain, she will be responsible for the safe navigation of the ship and the onboard experience of its 2,158 guests and 952 crew members. Thank you, @49ers !!! Im forever grateful to Lisa for entrusting this labor of love to me to captain. "A lot of the women that are on our bridges are active on social media, and they catch the attention of a lot of other women," Lutoff-Perlo said at the time. McCue has three primary accounts: Her Instagram, which she called her "digital photo album"; a TikTok, where she can show off her self-professed goofy side; and a YouTube channel, where she produces more educational content -- a recent video, for example, was titled, "Repatriating cruise ship crew during a pandemic.". A Celebrity spokeswoman confirmed that McCue was the line's biggest social media star; in second place is McCue's hairless cat/sidekick, Bug (@bugnaked, 44,500 followers). Courtesy Celebrity Cruises My husband works in Italy so I can do the same with him. President and CEO of Celebrity Cruises Lisa Lutoff-Perlo announced today that when Celebrity Beyond launches in the Spring of 2022, perhaps the most famous cruise ship captain across all the Seven Seas will be at the helm. In 4 years weve gone from 3% to 22%. We have sailed with her as Captain on the Summit, Equinox and Edge. Charles Creitz is a reporter forFox News Digital. Ports were closed and cruise lines spent months trying to get passengers, and later crew members, home. He's got the languages and the technical background. Right now, McCue is looking forward to the resumption of cruising and is confident the industry will bounce back from 2020. You'll find more of the articles you love to read at AAA Insider. By clicking Accept, you agree to such purposes and the sharing of your data with our partners. Photo courtesy Kate McCue. "That's where the wanderlust really was instilled and I thought, 'This is what I want to do for my life.'". Once we're at port, there are meetings with the executive committeeor inspections around the ship. McCue's second stint on board Edge commenced in December 2019. And I have a feeling that its going to come this year. '", "So, just a quick reference: 'you're,' as in 'you are,' as in 'you are sexist,' she continued confidently in her captain uniform. . In addition to writing for leading travel publications, Golden is the author of more than 20 travel books, including her latest,100 Things to Do in Alaska Before You Die(Reedy Press, March 2021). All rights reserved. But I am also confident that its not going to be premature, that were going to do it right, when its time. Since the start, it's been our aim to provide the latest cruise news covering all the major cruise lines. AAA Travel Alert:Many travel destinations have implemented COVID-19related restrictions. Kate McCue earlier this year threw open the doors to her suite on the Edge, and nearly 100,000 people peeked in. I think the fact that youre away from home for at least six months a year, which can be a challenge specially if you have a family you are very close to. Does Celebrity give her a team to plan and produce her content? All rights reserved. McCue said that while at Royal Caribbean, she worked with Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, who later became the first female CEO of one of RCL's brands-- Celebrity Cruises. My wife and I are sailing on Beyond's 9 night repositioning cruise from Bayonne to the Caribbean and Fort Lauderdale on 10/26/22. Before she was employed at Celebrity, McCue worked her way up from 2nd officer to staff captain at Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. And prior to that, she was a 3rd mate at the Disney Cruise Line. Cooking in the galley. According to the latest Twitter stat on 2023-04-27, Kate McCue has a total favourites count of 3494 on the Twitter account and Kate McCue has 63 followers on the same Twitter account. MIAMI, Oct. 14, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Exciting news today, as Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo announced Captain Kate McCue, the first American female cruise ship. Check back each Monday for the latest interview. "Someone came up to him and said 'Oh, captain, you're doing a great job' and he turned them toward me and said 'No, she's the captain'. "I was focusing so much on that, that I couldn't enjoy what I wanted since I was 12 years old, that had come to fruition. "I almost felt it was a bit unfair, because the men, when they were promoted, they got to do their job. The realworld is a scary place, you have to go out, sit on traffic, to go to the grocery store, pay bills and do all that. Now she's in charge of a ship traveling between the Eastern U.S. and the Caribbean. Every evening, whether the Celebrity Edge cruise ship is crisscrossing the Caribbean or meandering around the Mediterranean, Captain Kate McCue writes night orders for her team. Every day, we're in a different place and conditions are never the same. Every day on the ship is different. I think they expect to see this very Amazonian persona who is controlling the Christopher Columbus steering wheel.
Analogue Productions 2022 Releases, Conner Bowman Funeral Home Obituaries, Articles W