Learn how and when to remove this template message, their fourth straight Super Bowl appearance, "Milton's Krieg bets a chance, leads Seahawks to victory", "Warm welcome awaits Milton's own Dave Krieg", "Seattle's new Pilot shoots down Jets, 27-23", Seahawks/NFL: 'Mudbone' embodied Hawks' grit, "CNNSI.com - NFL Football - Say It Ain't So: Seattle Seahawks - Tuesday July 17, 2001 09:01 AM", PRO FOOTBALL;Abrasive Ryan Discovers It's a Desert Out There New York Times, CNN/SI NFL Football Six starting QBs injured in NFL's first week Sunday September 06, 1998 10:20 PM, CNN/SI Football NFL Recap (Jacksonville-Tennessee) September 27, 1998, "Dave Krieg officially ends his career | CBC News", "Seahawks Legend Dave Krieg Raises 12 Flag at Space Needle", NFL quarterbacks with a perfect passer rating game, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Dave_Krieg&oldid=1142492403, Players of American football from Wisconsin, Short description is different from Wikidata, All Wikipedia articles written in American English, Articles that may contain original research from November 2016, All articles that may contain original research, NFL player missing current team parameter, Infobox NFL biography articles with old NFL.com URL, Articles with unsourced statements from July 2021, Official website different in Wikidata and Wikipedia, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, One of three quarterbacks to record at least 20,000 yards, 169 touchdowns, and 57 wins as a starter in the 1980's, joining hall of famers Dan Marino and Joe Montana, Holds NFL record for most seasons in career having played every play at QB in a year (3), Holds Seahawks record for most games with 400 or more yards passing (4), Led three different franchises to the playoffs (, Career statistics and player information from, This page was last edited on 2 March 2023, at 18:14. Does anyone else remember the Cortez Kennedy commercial? The Chiefs lost 30-13. Gilbert should have kept looking. When I think of Dave Kreig, I always think of the 1985 Seahawks, the team that alternated four 2 game winning streaks with four 2 game losing streaks. He was the hottest thing on the planet in October of 93 as many believed Miami couldnt win a game without Marino. One blemish that somehow always appears around NFL Combine season is discussing a quarterbacks hand size. ", Krieg himself made a remark which would prove ironic in the seasons to come. The Krieg-led Lions in the 2nd half of '94 was one of my favorite Lions teams to watch. And his DVOA record only backs that up. It was Zorn's second straight terrible game at home, and Kingdome fans booed their former hero. in addition to never being recognized for the winner he was, they even closed/shuttered his College, Ripon, in Wisconsin! "We don't want him looking over his shoulder to see if every time he makes a mistake we're warming up Dave Krieg," Knox said. Well find a hand-size correlation soon. David Michael Krieg (/kre/ KRAYG; born October 20, 1958) is an American former professional football player who was a quarterback in the National Football League (NFL). -Kelly Stouffer is one of the greatest draft mysteries to me ever. Somehow, Knox resisted the urge to insert the towel boy at quarterback, and the Seahawks pulled out of a team-wide meltdown to win five straight games and nearly reach the playoffs. ', and I said, 'I guess I do now.'". Maybe! Patera, who happened to be the brother of Olympic weightlifter and pro wrestling legend Ken Patera, never coached again after the Seahawks fired him. One final thought - both Jim Zorn (undrafted in 1975) and Steve DeBerg (10th round pick in 1977) were originally signed by the Cowboys as rookies but never took a regular season snap for Dallas. "He had some big plays and rallied us. Krieg suffered a thumb injury in the 1991 season opener, leading to even more Kemp and Stouffer. In reply to The other players profiled by Joey-Harringto. Thanks for the links! Oh, and he has the smallest hands among all current NFL starting quarterbacks. I remember thinkingat the time that having to watch Stouffer lead Seahawks offense over and over again must be one of the punishments sinners endure in hell. Football Outsiders content published by ESPN. Log In. In reply to Kreig- Fantasy football winner! Legendary Krieg finished fifth in DVOA behind Boomer Esiason, Warren Moon, Marino, and Jim Everett. General manager Mike McCormack took over as head coach and reinstated Zorn when play resumed in November. (The two papers merged after the 1992 Pittsburgh newspaper strike.) Krieg produced his copyrighted late-season hot streak on cue: a 4-2 record down the stretch to get the Seahawks into the playoffs, with five-touchdown and four-touchdown games. Patera was the only head coach in team history, and he led them to 9-7 records in 1978 and 1979. Krieg also played well in Miami the following week, but the Dolphins defeated the Seahawks and went on to lose Super Bowl XIX. Krieg said Patera wouldn't allow players to drink water during 90-degree training camp two-a-days, which wasn't that unusual back then. He finished the season fourth in DVOA (behind Tommy Kramer, Marino, and Boomer Esiason) and eighth in DYAR. Great stuff. WebQuarterback controversies! All that makes it even more amazing the Seahawks were able to get a first round pick for him from the Bears! Krieg and the Seahawks suffered another midseason swoon in 1989. Mind you, thats without an offensive line. Krieg worked his way up the depth chart and became the Wildcats' starter. I remember Krieg beating out Sam Adkins for the #2 job, then replacing Zorn! I remember when 44 year old Deberg started a game for the 1998 Falcons (one of their 2 losses that season). Krieg had four seasons with more than 3,000 yards passing and led the Seahawks to the playoffs four times. Then Krieg got benched in favor of Gilbert in the fourth quarter of the same game. Once he became a starter, he was never not above average, usually well above average, except in a year where he couldn't get to 200 attempts due to injury. Youre legally obligated to mention Lefty passers! It's a matter of doing what's right (for the team). Krieg's streaks, slumps, hoary feel-good story and late-career travels prompt comparisons to Fitzpatrick. DeBerg moved on, and Krieg found himself handing off to Christian Okoye and Barry Word in a conservative offense for a team run by an old-school head coach that got hammered in the first round of the playoffs. Krieg would suffer a shoulder injury late in what became an up-and-down season, and the Seahawks finished 8-8. 907830E5-9AEB-4FD2-9C5E-5AFCA574DF26.jpeg. His regular season career winloss record is 98-77. Sports Reference I really enjoyed that. In his second season as a starter, less than a year after he tore his ACL, Joe Burrow threw 34 touchdowns, won three playoff games and took the Bengals to their first Super Bowl in over three decades. It may not display this or other websites correctly. But then I looked up Steve DeBerg's stats, and it turns out his Kansas City years were pretty damn good: 3 straight top-10 passing DVOA finishes for a perennial playoff contender. Pickett, an otherwise accomplished college player, measured out with some of the smallest hands in Combine history at 8.5 inches. As an aside, I won a FF championship with him as my starter for half a season during his Chicago year. Krieg led a 90-yard touchdown drive to bring the Chiefs within 7 points, but the Buffalo Bills scored 10 unanswered points in the fourth quarter to qualify for their fourth straight Super Bowl appearance. He wouldn't make his retirement official until 2000 after no takers emerged for his services. Krieg left a Week 3 loss to the Rams after enduring seven sacks. So Knox built an offense out of deep strikes to Largent and Turner, touch passes to Largent, and lots of swing passes to fullback types. In the offseason, the Chiefs signed Joe Montana and made him their starting quarterback. Yes, that one season was pretty extraordinary, but he's going to have to wait for Mike to write a series of "One Hit Wonders" articles. Ranking every NFL team's 2023 draft class from 32 (sorry, 49ers) to 1 (whoa, Colts), 13 Winners (Bill Belichick!) Kried to Largent was a thing for several years. How can people say the Hawks did not address their needs? Dave Krieg. Anyway, the Seahawks traded three draft picks, including a 1989 first-rounder, for the rights to Stouffer. But Fitzpatrick only finished in the top 10 in DVOA once, in 2018. However, operating behind a porous offensive line, Krieg had another inconsistent year. (I'm sure it was interesting if/when Lyle Alzado sacked Krieg; it was one alumnus of a defunct college (Yankton College in Alzado's case) sacking another alumnus of a defunct college. WebSEATTLE . In light of that, as well as everything else, we made the change.". Kelly Stouffer is a college football television analyst. See Photos. True to form, Krieg enjoyed a late-season hot streak: 14 touchdowns, just three interceptions, and a second-place finish in DVOA behind Steve Young. The first is that his name really is ", That late surge only brought a small measure of job security, however. If Dave Krieg hadn't interfered in 1992, DeBerg would have been replaced by Montana a second time, this time with the Chiefs,in 1993. https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-scouting-combine-patrick-mahomes-tom-brady-kenny-pickett, Tom Brady, Patriots/Buccaneers (9.375 inches). But otherwise, I dont see much. Someone even wrote a book about it that was the partial basis for an ESPN 30 for 30 of the same name. Labor disputes! Dave is proud to be a board Oh that guy undrafted from a College that no longer has a football program, had small hands and took over for Zorn and who drove Knox nuts but found a way to win most the time. I always felt Krieg was underrated and never got his due. Thanks as always for the great write-up! Krieg signed with the Seahawks' division rivals, the Kansas City Chiefs, and started for them throughout 1992, leading his new team to a 106 record, including two victories over Seattle. I got my picture taken with him at a signing event at a bar during some pregame festivities a few years ago, he looked just about the same as his playing days. Jim Zorn had been the Seahawks quarterback since the team's inception, a lefty gunslinger and beloved local hero who triggered a pass-happy offense for the era. Krieg finished in the top 10 in DVOA five times during his neverending career, yet he always seemed to be just one slump away from a seat on the bench. But Krieg was Kryptonite for southpaw quarterbacks, and he had one last quarterback controversy left in him. The Seahawks finished a disappointing 79, leading to the resignation of Coach Knox. "Rodney Dangerfield Gets More Respect Than Seattle's Krieg" was the headline of the profile I just cited. McCormack returned to the front office in 1983, hiring Chuck Knox as head coach. and the Quarterback who didn't know how to adjust his chin strap properly it always ended up under his nose. The Kansas City Chiefs sacked Krieg 9 times, including an NFL-record 7 sacks by linebacker Derrick Thomas. Largent, who retired as the NFL's all-time leading receiver, represented his native Oklahoma in Congress for eight years. Something exciting or dreadful was going to happen, but it was always interesting. Patera's attitude toward unions was predictable. I was dragged in to help out a friend in one of the very firstFantasy Football leagueshe couldn't decide on a QBI said 'no matter what the situation, Dave Krieg always finds a way to shine through' He DID win the Fantasy Champ. David Krieg. Wheeeee!!!!!! WebThe idea is that small hands mean youre more likely to fumble when hit or lose your grip on the ball when passing in bad weather. Thanks for pointing that out. It closed in 1982. WebKrieg said he never suffered the same injury as Wilson dislocated and torn tendons and two small fractures in his middle finger. Another high first-rounder (who was at least good in college) McGwire managed 3 INTs and 3 sacks (0 TDs) in his only start of the season. BackCAST 2023: Is Zach Charbonnet Overrated? I'm fuzzy on the details, but I have fond memories of his days in Miami, even though I mostly remember him in Kansas doing his thing for the Chiefs. His own coaches, however, were another matter. At Milton, a now-defunct small private college in Milton, Wisconsin, Krieg began as the 7th-string quarterback for his school's NAIA team, the Wildcats. That's not the sort of thing a team does when it is completely satisfied with its starting quarterback. it is difficult to explain to younger fans just how big the Mitchell deal was at the time. Krieg was becoming a bit of a star; he was, after all, only the 10th quarterback to throw for 32 or more touchdowns at that point. Searching for contemporary comparisons for Krieg may be missing the point, however. Bizarrely, Seattle (6-10 in 1981) handed the 10-5-1 Jets their only two losses of the 1981 season after New York's 0-3 start. Mitchell finished 25th in DVOA and 26th in DYAR. Krieg threw 32 touchdown passes, earned a Pro Bowl berth behind Marino, and finished seventh in DVOA and eighth in DYAR despite a league-high 24 interceptions. Of course his performance in December was the real Mitchell, but that didnt stop the Lions. If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, help is available. WebDave Krieg was probably the 12th best QB in the NFL in his era behind Montana, Elway, Marino, Kelly, Moon, Esiason, Kosar, OBrien, Simms, Lomax, and Cunningham. He went 1-of-8 for 2 yards, three sacks, and one interception in the first half of a Week 8 against the Steelers, who were without Jack Lambert on defense and Terry Bradshaw on offense. Krieg started his career as a seventh-string quarterback at a level of competition one step up from intramurals. Recent and Trending topics from Football Outsiders. However, he faltered in midseason, so Coach Knox benched him in favor of Gale Gilbert. Krieg also became part owner of the af2's Green Bay Blizzard in 2007 along with former Green Bay Packer linebacker Brian Noble. The Arizona Cardinals rewarded Krieg for his 1994 performance by signing him to be their starting quarterback in 1995. "John Elway is a fellow who can really drill the ball Dave's arm probably isn't as strong but he gets the ball there and he's right on target, and that's the most important thing, isn't it?". In relief, Krieg threw just one pass, a 23-yard touchdown. Neither Krieg nor the Chiefs must have noticed that anything much had changed. Again, his passer rating told the tale: 3 horrible games (below 50), 4 mediocre ones (50s and 60s), 5 good efforts (70s and 80s), and 4 outstanding performances (90s or better). The Seahawks would go 4-3 down the stretch and beat John Elway's Broncos and Dan Marino's Dolphins in the playoffs before losing to the Raiders in the AFC Championship Game. Could Stetson Bennett Be the Next Brock Purdy? "People talk about the arm strength of quarterbacks," said Seahawks quarterback coach Ken Meyer in a Krieg profile during the 1984 playoffs. It's the link to the first Jets game of the season (Krieg played in the second). "How bad can it get if there are only 50 guys on the team and you're the seventh-best quarterback?" I looked it up, in 1993 after 7-2 Miami lost Marino for the season and Scott Mitchell went down, they signed DeBerg, then 39, off-the-street and put him as their starter. I remember reading his columns when I was an undergraduate college student in central Pennsylvania in the early-to-mid 1990s and especially as a graduate student in western Pennsylvania in the late 1990s. To their credit, Knox and Meyer turned back to Krieg as soon as he was healthy. In reply to "I'm left struggling with by Joe Pancake. At that time, what was right was letting Dave stay in. When I was a kid a I thought he was a damn wizard. Legendary fumbling quarterback Dave Krieg third on the all-time list with 153 was rumored to have teeny hands. The running game sputtered as injuries slowed Curt Warner, and the aging offensive line struggled to open holes for him. The Lions went 5-2 down the stretch. "Ground Chuck" took flight under Dave Krieg. I felt really old when I had to explain to a younger fan who I was getting my picture with though. The other players profiled in this series had multiple seasons near the top of the DVOA leaderboards. Heck, Krieg owes most of the last seven years of his career to defense-oriented coaches and their obsession with veteran caretakers. Hand size is more of a fun trivia fact than anything that says a quarterback will fail in the big leagues. He went 1-of-3 for 10 yards while being sacked twice. Krieg has now been surpassed by both Brett Favre and Warren Moon for career fumbles. He's pretty unflappable. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, college, draft, and more on Pro-football-reference.com. Krieg backed up Zorn and Sam Adkins as an undrafted rookie. Sports betting and gambling are not legal in all locations. 3) The Seahawks had the Jets' number in their early expansion years, winning their first 7 games against New York and not losing to the Jets from their founding in 1976 until the 1985 season. See Photos. Reply . Stroud, Mike Tanier's Final Three-Round Mock Draft, Things to Do While Waiting for Aaron Rodgers. ), 2) There's a very thin difference in time between sports fans who remember Jack Patera, Seahawks head coach better (and think of Ken as Jack's brother)or remember Ken Patera, Olympic and (and more notably) pro wrestler better (and think of Jack as Ken's brother). Of the top 5 on the chart (the guys who As someone who started following the league at near the end of Kreig's prime, I didn't really have a good feel for his career arc. [43], He was inducted into the Seattle Seahawks Ring of Honor in 2004.[17]. Consequently, inconsistency again plagued Krieg. But he barely played in Tennessee and retired after the 1988 season. Dave Krieg was under center the first time I saw a Seahawks game in person. And he wasn't a 26-year-old with a big contract. The Seahawks went 4-3 down the stretch, though Zorn had less to do with their success than a strong defense led by Kenny Easley and Jacob Green, and perhaps the fact that the players no longer despised their coach and vice-versa. Curt Warner purchased an auto dealership in Vancouver. Krieg signed with the Chiefs in March of 1992. [11] Krieg came off the bench and ignited a dynamic offense showcasing the talents of running back Barry Sanders and wide receiver Herman Moore. Krieg would have another weak game, throwing an interception and fumbling in his own end zone in a 34-7 loss to the Bengals. If you did a book of things like these from throughout the NFL's history (the hall of semi-interesting / semi-forgotten), I would absolutely buy it. It became a Ryan Fitzpatrick/Harvard type deal, and it framed a perception of Krieg as the ultimate underdog. Thanks for this article - Dave Krieg was one of my favorite players - and I thought I was the only one who thought he was pretty great! Scott Mitchell was the poster boy for falling in love with small sample sizes. WebIn a 1991 game between the New Orleans Saints and Seattle Seahawks, QB Dave Krieg got injured and suffered a broken thumb. How dare you besmirch the good name of the ultraback. Kramer suffered a back injury, and Krieg went on to start 12 games. In 19 seasons, Krieg played in 213 games, completed 58.5 percent of his passes (3,105 of 5,311) for 38,147 passing yards, 261 touchdowns, 199 interceptions and an 81.5 rating. He also died in 2018. Romo, like Krieg, ran torrid-and-tepid, endured playoff pratfalls, led the league in interceptions once but produced lots of memorable highlights, threw to some all-time greats but played for some coaches with complicated legacies, and spent an awful lot of his career mired around .500 despite some impressive stats. WebPeople named Dave Krieg. We come to the Golden Example. "I wish I had an arm like John Elway but I don't," Krieg said in the same article. This year that backwards discussion is centered around former Pittsburgh signal-caller, Kenny Pickett. In reply to I remember Kelly Stouffer as by Joey-Harringto. Mitchell was terrible, completing just 48.4% of his passes. The Seahawks went 2-1 in replacement games, in part because Largent and a few others crossed the picket lines. Moreover, his steady play helped the Seahawks eliminate the reigning Super Bowl champion Raiders in a wild card showdown in the Kingdome. Small hands. Seattle also beat the eventual Super Bowl champion Giants earlier in the season. Packers defender Sean Jones said after the game that he was wary of Krieg coming off the bench. WebMaybe Dave Krieg with the small hand thing. My favorite memory was when CBS named him as the player of the game but spelled his name wrong on the graphic. Still, I was surprised to see trips formations, multiple personnel groupings, and lots of early-down passing from Krieg and Knox. I really enjoyed this series about good but forgotten players that should be remembered. If theres one area the greater football world could improve upon, it would be in over-analysis of the smallest details. When injuries sidelined Jim Zorn late in the season, Krieg started the last three games and played well, helping the team record two of its six wins that year. Similar to Carr, no one will confuse Garoppolo for an All-Pro. He always seems to have a big play ready. For a guy with a Super Bowl MVP, an MVP, and 151 touchdown passes to his name, Mahomes, believe it or not, has some of the NFLs smallest hands. Okay, So, how rare is that among quality starting quarterbacks? Did our Marvin49 just get featured in a niner nation article? In a 1991 game between the New Orleans Saints and Seattle Seahawks, QB Dave Krieg got injured and suffered a broken thumb. [14], Despite a prodigious effort by Mike McCormack to recruit Warren Moon to join the QB ranks in Seattle, Krieg resumed his starting role 1984 after Moon declined Seattle's offer and chose to play for the Houston Oilers instead. You can get it at Amazon or read it for free as an FO+ subscriber! On rare occasions, Krieg would mop up in garbage time or take a knee at the end of a game. Pickett, of course, need not fear that his smaller-than-usual NFL phalanges will betray him at the next level. Even though he wasn't playing by the time the (Chiefs safety Deron Cherry intercepted four of the passes). Krieg finished eighth in DYAR despite only playing half a season. I think I remember reading once that Montana got his first start over Deberg because Deberg, otherwise healthy, had laryngitis and could not call plays. Late in the 1992 season, I think it was against the Steelers, the recording ended early, like at the end of the 3rd quarter. We should ask Bears legend Russell Wilson. I was about to jump in by Joey-Harringto. In the spring of 1989, Krieg competed in NBC's prestigious Superstars competition, a series of physical challenges pitting athletes from various sports against one another. In the regular season finale, Krieg dissected the Raiders' secondary, throwing for 410 yards and four touchdowns, thereby securing the division title at 97 and relegating the Raiders to a wild card berth. More posts you may like. Given the opportunity to play in the fourth game of his freshman season (1976), he completed four passesthree of them for touchdownsand continued to play well enough to start for the rest of his college career. But the career leader in quarterback fumbles is none Krieg could not, however, lead the Lions past the Packers in the playoffs. Dave Krieg. Little (or widely) known fact: He has the fourth-smallest hands among current starters. I was in the Army in Germany during the late 80's - early 90s seasons. I always enjoyed watching Krieg. His college teams had a 14-30 record in games he started (not exactly in a power conference either), and he was brutal his senior year, completing fewer than 55% of his passes with twice as many INTs as TDs (7-14). The World League castoff Stan Gelbaugh was somehow the best QB on the roster (and he was god awful). In the wild-card round of the playoffs, when the Chiefs hosted the Pittsburgh Steelers, an injured Montana briefly left the game. Statistically, the 1994 season was the best of Krieg's career: Krieg completed 61.8% of his passes and threw 14 touchdowns versus only 3 interceptions, for a passer rating of 101.7. ", https://www.footballoutsiders.com/almanac/historical-archive. I'm guessing White probably wins the starting job anyway, but it isn't inconceivable Zorn orDeBerg manages to grab the starting position instead of White (who it should be noted was a very, very good NFL quarterback for about five seasons). Maybe they should have just switched sides for the afternoon. However, even Krieg's good games rarely resulted in Cardinals victories. The Dolphins unfortunately wouldn't win another game, although the defense -par for the course- was more to blame for that than DeBerg or Mitchell, who came back to start the last couple of games. But who would hand off to Warner? Which just tells you that there were a lot of excellent QBs at that time. The union demanded free agency, rookies held out, and the league nearly cannibalized itself. He also had 417 rushing attempts for 1,261 yards and 13 touchdowns and 3 pass receptions for 10 yards. They werent small either.
Content Practice A Lesson 2 Igneous Rocks Answer Key, Csf 14 Authorization For Release Of Information Authorized Representative, Guy Fieri Weight Loss Surgery, Articles D