Sometime in or before 2014 through January 2019, Duane Peterson and Brown were among a group of people associated with an IJU racketeering scheme, according to authorities. The 47-year-old Warren man has not been charged with a drug crime despite an ongoing, years-long investigation that was recently revealed when the government temporarily unsealed a federal search warrant affidavit. During a Dec. 2 raid at the West Parkway home, agents found his girlfriend and an infant. On March 6, 2018, Duane Peterson choked and repeatedly punched someone inside the Liquor Island convenience store in Detroit, officials said. Davis was one of Detroit's largest drug kingpins in the 70s and 80s. Where is Johnny Curry Now? Wonnie was facing about 20 years. Receive all of VladTV's hard-hitting news in our daily newsletter, as well as our exclusive interviews. Federal files allege the Curry brothers dad, Sam Sammy Mack Curry, acted as the gangs top advisor and reputedly chipped in with startup cash back in 1978 when the gang was formed. I convinced myself I'd be ok. She served almost eight years in prison; meanwhile, her dads health failed him shortly after his own early release. Janard Thomas is charged with conspiracy to distribute and possess with intent to distribute controlled substances, possession with the intent to distribute controlled substances -- aiding and abetting and three counts of distribution of controlled substances -- aiding and abetting. I knew this was probably the end of the line. I was around Big Meech and Southwest T from a young age, but I never knew they were as big as they were when I was a kid. Carlouse Johnson, Lanardo Johnson and Michael Thomas are charged with conspiracy to distribute and possess with intent to distribute controlled substances. Powell was acquitted in a second trial after the first ended in a mistrial. Mug shot of Adolph (Doc Holliday) Powell, arrested in Detroit in 1979 for the murders of William Jackson, Joanne Clark and Willie McCoy in what police described as a drug turf war. Was selling alcohol a good cover for Al Capone? White Boy is a true-crime offering from Shawn Rech about a 17-year-old kid who ended up being dubbed as White Boy Rick, alleged to be one of the most notorious drug dealers in Detroit during the 1980s. [1] My nerves were shot, my mind going a million miles a minute. Court records allege they helped each other cover up the crimes to avoid successful law enforcement investigation. We both pled out and I got sentenced to ten years. I was just looking at him, like, Damn, its all come down to this. I believe that the Altima had been loaded with drugs that were transported from California to Detroit for distribution by Brian Brown and members of his (drug ring), Popp wrote. April 18, 2018: Luther Peterson sold fentanyl-laced heroin to an undercover officer in Jackson, officials said. Brown was a familiar face to Detroit drug investigators. He is a former assistant U.S. attorney who in 2014 successfully prosecuted three fez-wearing drug dealers involved in one of the largest narcotics rings in Metro Detroit history. Eventually Doc became a fugitive and was on the top 10 most wanted list. Brandi Davis is popular for her appearance in American Gangster: Trap Queens. The documentary involves interviews with Richard Wershe Jr.'s acquaintances from back in the day, law . Along with family and friends, Davis began organizing 25-kilo shipments of cocaine from Chicago to her home turf of Detroit. Rewards. It is inconceivable that Browns rap label generated millions of dollars to acquire expensive homes and vehicles, said hip-hop industry expert Regan Sommer McCoy, a Columbia University community scholar and founder of the New York-based archive project, The Mixtape Museum. (Gil denied any such allegations). April 19, 2016: Luther Peterson sold heroin to an undercover officer in Jackson, authorities said. Led by twin brothers, Johnny and Leonard Curry, the gang was centered on the Eastside, conveniently stashed away from primary YBI and Pony Down sales districts further west. My problems went from state to federal. The dealer also identified cars used to haul drugs money between California and Detroit. "I believe every month in the '70s, we all had houses, condos, apartments out in California and he would pay all of the bills," said Davis. That was fine by them. Dec. 19, 2019: Poole possessed a Smith & Wesson .38-caliber firearm that was shipped and transported interstate, knowing he had previously been convicted of a crime punishable by more than a year in prison, court documents allege. His mom had a Benz, and they were always dressed fresh, kept new cars, and lived the same way we did. Somebody was going to do it, Curry said. Later, Johnny also admitted to bribing Gil Hill in order to hinder a homicide investigation. Eventually Doc became a fugitive and was on the top 10 most wanted list. Sign up for our newsletter to get the best of VICE delivered to your inbox daily. She was an unemployed mother of four and $540,000 in debt when she filed bankruptcy in 2009, the year before her husband finished his prison sentence. Tags: 1980's, best friends gang, butch jones, crack cocaine, demetrius holloway, detroit, east side detroit, heroin, maserati rick, Members Only, mob hits, pony down, tiny, white boy rick, ybi, young boys. Being white and not even old enough to hold a drivers license, he stuck out like a sore thumb, yet it made no difference. Authorities linked 400 grams of the fentanyl mixture/substance to Demarco Johnson, Maurice Johnson, Gary Johnson, Carlouse Johnson, Deantez Johnson, Janard Thomas, Jackson and Moses, the indictment says. In the hood on the other hand, where it mattered the most, everybody knew the Currys werent anybody to mess with.. The attack was committed in front of Dionne Peterson, Dayquan Johnson, Davis and other IJU members, federal officials said. We offer prescriptions, lift chairs, medications, durable medical equipment, greeting cards, diabetic shoes, insoles, first aid kits, canes, wheelchairs, vaccinations, compression sizing, gifts, medical equipment rentals, baby supplies & accessories, and much more. I feel a lot of regret for what happened. Browns lawyer, Steve Fishman, and the U.S. Attorneys Office declined comment. For example, IJU -- the initials of Its Just Us" -- correspond with the numbers 258 on a telephone keypad. Digital Coupons. The woman helps hide cash from drug deals, according to the court filing. If you need help with the Public File, call (313) 222-0566. The judge commented that this was a sad day for our family because not only was my mom losing a husband to prison, she was losing a daughter too. The car collection cost $519,000, or about 14 times as much money as Brown reported on his 2011 taxes, according to the search warrant affidavit. The Detroit News. They are also accused of second-degree murder in the incident because they acted in wanton and willful disregard of the likelihood that the natural tendency of his actions would cause death and great bodily harm, according to the federal indictment. Rewards Pharmacy Resources In Store Weekly Ad. Jan. 24, 2019: Davis told Dayquan Johnson about his arrest for drug trafficking in West Virginia, according to officials. Justin peeped the kind of people I was around and one day he cut into me: "If I have some coke brought down here, can you move it?. Keeping a low profile, the gang was in business for almost ten years, making a tremendous amount of money in the process. Being with Cathy meant you were tied into the mainframe of the mother ship. Jan. 25, 2019: Dayquan Johnson told Davis he would pay for him to be released on bond, according to court records. Investigations can be prolonged, especially, if there are money-laundering allegations involving cash, he said. x\[5.nMRT;I~}uYTh4}=}.H?Z]L7g3UcWg?q;\ 9[du{Y7UntzF??2=qMm7]=N7{[[]=?y3NNamn:8QiXQ#x3)]:j'seZl$T X&Z)?DJ)[uhowihjZF Davis, 35, of Detroit, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge George LaPlata. They were set up on the east side of Detroit, and it had been alleged that their father acted as their advisor in the early days of the gang. I knew him from a while back and he came in and swept me off my feet. They finally ran up into the house with their guns drawn and I threw my hands in the air and let them know I was pregnant. The FBI estimated that they sold anywhere between $150 to $200 million worth of drugs in the 1980s. A Detroit fugitive once characterized by federal officials as among the top 10 heroin dealers in North America was arraigned Wednesday in U.S. District Court after being captured in an Ann Arbor hotel room with about 2.2 pounds of suspected cocaine. April 12, 2015: Dionne Peterson posted a Facebook photo that said, Tag a cousin you will kill for, authorities said. As the daughter of a big-time dope man, she lived a privileged childhood and adolescence, attending private school, driving a BMW,. Hanging out with friends as a teenager, I heard guys talking about him. Davis, the daughter of legendary street hustler and the girlfriend of a notorious drug dealer, was no novice to street life. I ended up doing seven and a half. March 22, 2016: Davis sold heroin to an undercover officer in Parkersburg, West Virginia, according to the indictment. When agents found the man, he had the same Nissan Altima linked three months earlier to Browns wife Akia. Brown had access to vast sums of cash after creating the rap label. in the 1990s. Johnny has also maintained that he had nothing to do with the murder of Damion. March 12, 2016: Davis sold heroin to an undercover officer in Parkersburg, West Virginia, according to the indictment. A DEA informant called the alleged drug dealers cellphone and arranged to pick up the cash at a Bob Evans restaurant near Dequindre and 10 Mile in Warren. Minus the flashy handle and juvenile preening, the press didnt want to write about the Currys. It was the murder of a 13-year-old Damion Lucas, who was caught in the crosshairs of a beef between two rival gang members. BMB Records owner Brian Peanut Brown also is responsible for selling heroin laced with fentanyl, the synthetic pain medication fueling the nations deadliest addiction crisis, according to court records that chronicle a sprawling drug investigation involving Browns wife, a girlfriend, millions in drug profits and a mansion with a secret Narnia room. She was absolutely right, so I pulled myself together. I was brutally beaten by Brown when I walked in on him with another woman, Lane-Jarmon, 43, wrote in an court affidavit. Cookie Notice At Davis Food and Drug we have everything you need, and expect, from your local grocery store. By signing up, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy & to receive electronic communications from Vice Media Group, which may include marketing promotions, advertisements and sponsored content. While Leo was the more outgoing one, Johnny was the guy working behind the scenes. Members of the group also had guns to protect their operation and intimidate others, authorities said. Then, bullets started whizzing by and I hit the ground. Mafia. The Colombo Welcome Home Committee Has Reason To Celebrate, Old-Timer "Joe Monte" Returns To NY Mob Following 30-Yr. Prison Bid. That is especially true when, like the Brown investigation, the probe spans states, delves into financial records and relies on informants, search warrants and wiretaps, said Jones Day law firm partner Louis Gabel. And any large-scale drug investigation inevitably takes many twists and turns along the way, Gabel said. The substances included mixtures and substances containing detectable amounts of heroin, fentanyl, cocaine and crack cocaine, officials said. 468K views 2 years ago DETROIT According to the DEA, Reginald "Doc" Davis and Duane Davis of Detroit, Michigan were the two largest H dealers in the United States over the period. The Detroit native then discusses several of her shared experiences with the members of BMF before sharing her thoughts on the way in which their empire fell shortly after Big Meech and Southwest T were arrested. Aug. 8, 2018: Duane Peterson had a stolen .40-caliber handgun with an extended magazine and talked with Dionne Peterson about law enforcements monitoring of their distribution in West Virginia, court records allege. I look at my son and what I did to him. On social media, Brown portrays himself as a successful hood hero and last month posted a billboard near McNichols and I-75 promoting an upcoming self-help book. An ex-Detroit Police officer's side gig just cost him his freedom: He was hauled off to jail Tuesday after a jury convicted him of being a drug dealer. After that, it became a routine thing. Around mid-1984, the over two dozen Curry-owned heroin dens scattered throughout the city virtually all became crack houses. We traveled. One night, Pig Triplett, a BMF member I knew from back home, called and was like, "Come on, sis, were going to Magic City." Brown was indicted in March 2016 on a gun charge, released on bond and placed on house arrest with a GPS tether. %PDF-1.4 By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Jackson and Poole have to forfeit any firearms, ammo and body armer involved in the conspiracy, if convicted, according to authorities. Feb. 2, 2018: A picture on Facebook showed Dionne Peterson with a handgun and an extended magazine putting his arm around Luther Peterson, police said. Lucas uncle had allegedly screwed the Curry brothers on hotel reservations in Las Vegas for the Marvin Hagler-Tommy Hearns fight the gang had attended fight weeks earlier. Click here to take a moment and familiarize yourself with our Community Guidelines. We just kicked it and shot the shit the whole night. But even with organized crime Im speaking of the Italian and Sicilians they knew not to be too flashy.. Around May 2005, Wonnie came to Atlanta, even though I told him I didnt feel like it was safe. The Milton brothers were tied to a group of eastside drug dealers and extortionists headed by Waymon (World Benji) Kincaid, the reputed No. I brought in my dad and my stepbrother and we were off and running. Duane Peterson would provide the weapons, according to court records. Police towed the car and opened the trunk. He bought me a Porsche, he moved me into a half-million-dollar house in Atlanta. The Currys were in business for so long that their gangs activities spanned two distinct narcotic booms. During the height of his power, Davis was an international drug smuggler, supplying Detroit heavyweights like Young Boys Incorporated. I went to private school. Eventually Doc became a fugitive and was on the top 10 most . Offer a variety of adolescent and adult immunizations, vaccines as well as a variety of health screenings and tests - with no appointment . The Cadillac was registered to Browns wife, Akia, according to the DEA. Brown coerced (Knight) into signing a recording agreement with his company BMB stating If you dont sign with me, I will destroy you and any career you think you may have, Knight alleged in a Wayne County Circuit Court lawsuit. Duane Peterson, Dayquan Johnson, Luther Peterson, Brown and another IJU member went to B.O.Bz Lounge in Detroit to confront the man and shot at him as he retreated from them, court documents say. I missed being taken care of by a man. 0:04. Here are the seven men who were charged, along with their known nicknames: Our message to violent drug-dealing gang members could not be more clear: Our federal and state law enforcement team knows exactly who you are, and we are coming after you, U.S. Attorney Matthew Schneider said. April 9, 2018: Demarco Johnson, Deantez Johnson, Janard Thomas and Moses possessed at least one kilogram of a mixture containing heroin and fentanyl, according to authorities. Dec. 18, 2018: Maurice Johnson and Gary Johnson distributed 40 grams or more of a mixture containing heroin and fentanyl, court records say. On Nov. 30, 2015, the DEA was ready to raid Browns alleged drug empire, including at least seven locations across Metro Detroit. After her child's father suddenly died in federal prison, she faced the challenge of maintaining the lavish lifestyle he provided. The process to get into the gang involved spending time with IJU members and volunteering to sell drugs and commit acts of violence on their behalf, authorities said. VICE talked to Davis to find out what it was like to become a major gangster in a criminal underworld traditionally dominated by men. Once I moved to Atlanta and went to college, thats when I really began my friendships with them, and saw what level they were moving at. According to the civil lawsuit, the FBI raided Kash Dolls home as part of the Brown investigation. Aug. 4, 2017: An IJU member had two guns, ammo, heroin and digital scales at a home in Huntington, according to authorities. Davis was one of Detroit's largest drug kingpins in the 70s and 80s. All Davis Food & Drug Pharmacy locations: Accept most insurance plans. Investigators seized 1 kilogram of heroin, three firearms, $2,365 and three Harley-Davidson motorcycles, according to court records. "K{^wssE?_HRD^&z=:=nWU}Si67"u#x.Af` MN'tCCm{lug_qJVoM;m:`k+aj 55-tg^A] LLS~(slwjmw~OgFUkO`5\p470H\tx?xr6VTb33J@)8=ITxFZe1;*`W_T_t2KNo+.#%Z:qv2! +\&GeIozgvWA3hB&B\@9StvrO,\E{OZi+y\=5Z6*&,WXvLKV:a? According to the DEA, Reginald "Doc" Davis and Duane Davis of Detroit, Michigan were the two largest H dealers in the United States over the period 1975-1985. Then it was just accepted by everybody. Officials charged an addition 12 Detroit men earlier this month in connection with trafficking controlled substances and other charges. Curious to know where he is now? I think about the heartache and pain that I've caused my family. Nov. 22, 2019: Janard Thomas, Poole and Battiste distributed more than 40 grams of a mixture and substance containing heroin and fentanyl, according to court records. Mr. The next month, in December 2014, the investigations focus returned to Michigan. She then talks about her rise to prominence as a drug dealer in Detroit before detailing the story of how the feds used a close friend of hers to arrest her and her ex-lover, JT.Lastly, she talks about serving out a nine-year prison sentence, making the transition from prison inmate to working her first "real job" at a car dealership, and the challenges of raising her son after having missed some very significant moments in his life, while she was behind bars. When we got serious, he started paying my bills. I cant even explain the looks we had on our faces. Unlike the Buttrum brothers and their Pony Down crew who looked to challenge top dog YBI at every opportunity or DFG which did an end-around and went out of state to move the bulk of its drugs, the Curry brothers were content to play second-fiddle to Butch Jones and his Young Boys empire. Brandi Davis, 36, grew up around the drug game in Detroit. Wonnie went up to my attic and I was scrambling around the house, trying to get all the jewelry out of sight. And since January 2015, more than $345,000 was deposited through ATMs in Detroit and Baltimore. On our way, Pig told me we were going to pick up one of his homeboys. U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration agents say they have seized at least one kilogram of fentanyl while investigating Browns alleged drug ring. The federal indictment listed specific goals of the Its Just Us gang. Underworld legend Doc Davis joined the Original Gangsters Podcast in studio! DEA agents in California hid a GPS tracking device on the Altima in June 2014 and traced the car to Browns wife, Akia, according to the court file. Within days, the tracking device showed the Altima at a home on Tracey Street on Detroits west side. At the end of the night, he asked for my number and we were together every single day after that. Detroit is a hustling town and I was used to being around those kind of dudes. Inside, investigators found 6 kilograms of heroin. The affidavit, obtained by The Detroit News, lists probable cause to raid multiple homes that allegedly are part of Browns empire. Hill then allegedly told them, You have nothing to worry about, and according to Curry, accepted a bribe of $10,000 in cash to keep him and his inner-circle out of the investigation. Another reason for their longevity was the fact that Johnny was married to Cathy Volsan, who was the niece of the Mayor at the time, Coleman Young. I said, I just woke up, I dont know where anybody is.. Within months, the investigation spread to California. Jan. 22, 2019: Luther Peterson posted a message on Facebook warning IJU members against snitching because they would get f***** up," court documents claim. A doctor holding pills. Previous The Story of Detroit's Chambers Brothers & The REAL 'Crack Commandments'. We got busted in a sting set up by one of my drivers. As a result of their ability to avoid the spotlight, the Currys wound up being the longest lasting of all the Detroit drug syndicates of their era. They fled, then got caught then got life. Today, she is a self-described CEO with her own memoir, a billboard on the citys west side and an active life on social media, posting photos of herself in furs shopping at Chanel and sitting on a gold throne with armrests shaped like a ferocious beast. March 6, 2018: Dionne Peterson received a text informing him that authorities had searched and recovered drugs and money in Jackson, according to the indictment. They were "get money" dudes. Although he admits to speaking with Cathy on the phone the day after the Lucas homicide, he denies disrupting the investigation related to the murder and taking any money to help shield Curry from harm. That's something I deal with every day. Read More: Where are White Boy Ricks Fiancee and Children Now? I say practically because he wound up getting busted, but only after he stayed around probably a good five years longer than he should have. Cathy testified under oath in 1992 that Hill tipped her and Curry off in 1986 about their home telephone being bugged by federal surveillance experts. 2023 The Detroit News, a Digital First Media Newspaper. NOTE: All allegations are on or around the noted dates. They were included in the same announcement from the United States Attorneys Office, but not specifically linked to any gang. Derick is the Lead Digital Editor for ClickOnDetroit and has been with Local 4 News since April 2013. A probation officer concluded Brown violated conditions of his release from federal prison, but Brown remained a free man. In 2015, Ohio led the nation with the highest-number of opioid overdose deaths with 2,698 for the second straight year, according to a study by the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. The independent labels stable of entertainers includes Ray J, a singer and actor who starred in a pornographic video with Kim Kardashian; rapper Bre-Z, who stars on the hit Fox drama Empire; and Charli Baltimore, a platinum blonde perhaps best known for dating the late rapper The Notorious B.I.G. He showered me with gifts. Battiste is charged with conspiracy to distribute and possess with intent to distribute controlled substances and two counts of distribution of controlled substances -- aiding and abetting. At first glance, everybody was shocked. Gary Johnson is charged with conspiracy to distribute and possess with intent to distribute controlled substances and distribution of controlled substances -- aiding and abetting, distribution of controlled substances. I didnt sell drugs back then, but I would help count money and move money around. Little Man had allies in almost every nook and cranny of the citys political structure, deep inroads that reached all the very top of the Mayors office. DETROIT - Feds have charged 19 Detroit men in connection with drug crimes, and in one indictment, they broke down how the "It's Just Us" gang initiated its members, operated stash houses,. It was a prize. I had a privileged childhood. DEA agents allege Brown was a hands-on leader of the drug ring. Copyright 2023 ClickOnDetroit.com is managed by Graham Digital and published by Graham Media Group, a division of Graham Holdings. Being supplied by local wholesale moguls Arthur AD Derrick and Sam Doc Curry (no relation), the Currys had an endless supply of powdery goodness that they cut and sold for an estimated $200,000,000 over the next three years. Gang members shared information about plans and activities and distributed firearms to each other to carry out those plans, according to the indictment. My dad was sentenced to eight years. In November, U.S. District Judge Nancy Edmunds gave Brown additional freedom. Sept. 9, 2018: Dionne Peterson talked with fellow IJU members about the movement of buckets and money for narcotics trafficking, the indictment says. 15 hours ago Scott Burnstein. Original Gangsters, a True Crime Talk Podcast. It wasnt out of the ordinary, it was just how I grew up. Both YBI and Pony Down lasted five years apiece. They were threatening us, saying were all going to jail for attempted murder on a federal agent. More than 50 search warrants were executed during the course of the investigation, officials said. Jan. 25, 2015: Deshawn Peterson possessed marijuana, heroin, crack cocaine, digital scales and US currency in a Jackson house, the indictment alleges. Two drug kingpin brothers who went on the lam just before their guilty verdicts were read were sentenced to life in prison today for running .
Licking County Court Records Search, Icestone Countertop Colors, What Do You Say When Receiving Ashes On Ash Wednesday, Dirty Landscaping Puns, Frost Brown Todd Summer Associate, Articles D