Blangiardi also distances himself from Trump in one specific way: Coming from the news media, he doesnt demonize it. Please try different keywords. He was vice president and general manager of KIKU (now KHNL) from 1984 to 1989. Both companies did not mention any monetary exchanges during its August SSA announcement, only "assets. Ryan Nobriga Blangiardi, who quit his position as HNNs general manager in 2020 to run for mayor, is well familiar with his new hires. Weekday morning and weekend shows are simulcast on the two stations, but are subject to preemption on one of the stations due to network obligations. Passionate about the economy, transparency and community, she earned a bachelorsdegree in international relations from the University of British Columbia and a masters degree in communication from Royal Roads University. We look forward to hearing from you. from the Catholic University of America. I know what they represent, so for me it really operates with a respect to who they are and not believing that theyre going to play gotcha as much as theyre going to hold me accountable.. [3] Seniority was guaranteed to technicians in the IBEW Local 1260 contract, but management stated that "new equipment nullifies any previous seniority", even though the technicians had installed and been operating the new equipment for over six months. Aahir Ghosh creates and manages videos for the Grassroot Institute of Hawaiis YouTube channel. 500 Ala Moana Blvd. As GM, Blangiardi adds he was proud of the news teams investigative stories that made a difference, but felt he could make even more of an impact by shifting to an elected role: If you really want to get involved in some of the more systemic issues, you need to have that kind of formal authority and thats one of the things that you get in the mayors office, he says. Hawaii News Now is one of Hawaii Business Magazines Best Places to Work. Be a part of Hawaiis dominant multimedia company, with a reach that stretches far beyond Hawaiis shores. Position At CBS", "16 Sep 1993, 52 Honolulu Star-Bulletin at", "TV exec back in Hawai'i to head KHON, KGMB | The Honolulu Advertiser | Hawaii's Newspaper", "KHON-2's new owner to lay off one-third of station's staff | The Honolulu Advertiser | Hawaii's Newspaper", "HNN General Manager Rick Blangiardi announces he is retiring, considering run for mayor", "Former HNN General Manager Rick Blangiardi announces run for mayor", "Rick Blangiardi, Colleen Hanabusa lead Honolulu mayoral field, poll finds", "UHPA Endorses Mayoral Candidate Rick Blangiardi", "Police Union Backs Blangiardi For Mayor Of Honolulu", "Newcomers Rick Blangiardi and Keith Amemiya to face off in November for Honolulu mayoral seat", "Honolulu Mayor: Rick Blangiardi Declares Victory, Keith Amemiya Concedes", "After taking oath of office as mayor, Blangiardi warns road ahead won't be easy", "What Local Election Results Reveal About Hawaii's Politics", "As general election nears, party politics takes center stage in nonpartisan mayoral race", U.S. state and territorial capital cities, Mayors of the 50 largest cities in the United States, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Rick_Blangiardi&oldid=1143203566, Springfield College (Massachusetts) alumni, Short description is different from Wikidata, Pages using embedded infobox templates with the title parameter, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 6 March 2023, at 12:46. Blangiardi was already a familiar face in town when he made the pivot to politics, having appeared regularly on camera to deliver editorials and commentary on the stations he ran. Today, State Sen. Kurt Fevella called for the immediate firing of the general manager, Daniel Kea, in a letter to Brookfield Properties, which operates the shopping center on leased land under the jurisdiction of the Hawaii State Department of Hawaiian Home Lands. And theres growing speculation that other big names could enter the race, including former Mayor Mufi Hannemann. The incident has led to outrage by some in the community. Forget how much money I was making but I gave up a job I loved, Blangiardi says. He also has edited books on autism and historical fiction, and has written extensively about issues pertaining to health. A graduate of Kamehameha Schools, he holds advanced degrees from Northwestern University and the University of Hawaii,is an expert in East-West philosophy and ethics, and has taught at universities in China and the United States, including Hawaii Pacific University. According to the letter, Brookfields Managing Partner, Brian Kingston, said: Our goal is to create vibrant and valued environments for the people who work and live there every day., Letter to Brookfield Properties.dhhl.Prince Kuhio Plaza by Tiffany De Masters on Scribd, Facebook Prior to joining the Grassroot Institute of Hawaii, he worked as a government affairs and crisis communications professional with Capital Results in Richmond, Va., representing clients in diverse industries nationwide. Born and raised in Kaneohe, his research interests are in urban and labor economics and applied econometrics. My point is kind of the antithesis of the national rhetoric about fake news and whatever. Get the best experience and stay connected to your community with our Spectrum News app. In some ways its akin to what I probably did in broadcast.. But unfortunately there was some confusion and the vendor interrupted them in the middle of their second song, Kea said. So, when I decided to run in January we went out and did a big study., He said the research, weighted differently across all demographics on Oahu, looked at name recognition, key issues for voters and top attributes of what people wanted in the next mayor. Growing up as a military brat, she has lived throughout the U.S. mainland and Europe. All rights reserved. Jamilyn Chapman is a 2021 graduate of Hawaii Pacific University, where she earned a bachelors degree in international studies and double minored in international business and Spanish. Both Blangiardi and Amemiya campaigned as political outsiders, but Humber credits Blangiardis success on his communication skills, honed over the years as both a football coach and a broadcaster. Now a design professional living in Vermont, he has bachelor of arts degree from Wesleyan University in Connecticut. Jason Hagiwara - President & General Manager - LinkedIn Be a part of Hawaiis dominant multimedia company, Why AI Has Some Viewers Asking Which Film Actors Are Real. Former Hawaii News Now news director Scott Humber is the new communications director for his old boss, former HNN general manager and current By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. Hawaii News Now President Rick Blangiardi might run for mayor The combined merger, especially the newscasts in general, drew complaints from local media watchdog groups, who cite Raycom for trying to monopolize the market by operating three stations at once and limiting the editorial independence and viewer choices for news programming. Scott Humber is a well-seasoned and highly respected news executive and journalist both locally and nationally, Blangiardi said. I think I have a lot to give. PeterBochneris a veteran computer industry journalist and editor. The letter said: It is very common throughout our state in the kanikapila style of Hawaiianmusic and hula performances that impromptu jam sessions take place to share the spirit ofAloha with both kamaaina and visitors.. Honolulu, HI 96813 Sarah Zoellick is a former reporter at the Honolulu Star-Advertiser, where she covered three consecutive sessions of the Hawaii Legislature. But Im liberal on a lot of social issues, I wouldnt label myself Republican.. Kelii Akina, Ph.D., is a recognized scholar, public policy spokesperson and community leader in Hawaii. [14] After the 2008 recession, Blangiardi led the consolidation of KGMB and KHNL into Hawaii News Now. While still at the university, he interned with the Tennessee General Assembly in the office of Bo Watson, chairman of the Senate Committee on Finance, Ways and Means. Click here to view the newest job openings. Copyright 2020 Hawaii News Now. Kevin Lewis began his career in graphic arts at a small Honolulu print shop. (Courtesy Honolulu City Council). Rick Blangiardi (born September 15, 1946) is an American television executive and politician from the state of Hawaii. He also is a former student fellow at the Foundation for Economic Education. Favella wrote in the letter that confirmation was received from revered kupuna Leed and Tseu that Kea asked them to stopperforming during a pop up craft fair gathering at the Prince Khi Plaza during the recent MerryMonarch festivities. He was born and raised in the San Francisco Bay area, but did live in Hawaii for a year in 1970, during which time he attended Aina Haina Elementary School as a kindergartener. He also has broad freelance experience. I predetermined because that if I got asked that question [about voting for Trump] that I would not evade it. Today, State Sen. Kurt Fevella called for the immediate firing of the general manager, Daniel Kea, in a letter to Brookfield Properties, which operates the shopping Jensen or his research has also appeared on Hawaii Public Radio, KITV4 News, KHON2 News, Hawaii News Now and ThinkTech Hawaii. 2023 Variety Media, LLC. "[6] The FCC, in response to Media Council Hawaii's filing of an objection over the SSA, asked Raycom for detailed, unredacted agreements in relation to the SSA.[7]. [1], The new unified newscasts, titled Hawaii News Now, launched on October 26, 2009. I was under contract, I could have stayed. In 2011, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser formed a partnership with Hawaii News Now to combine stories, investigative reporting, political news researching and polling of issues that affects Hawaiians. She is Canadian born and raised, having lived in cities such as Halifax in Nova Scotia and Victoria and Kelowna in British Columbia. He was often called the Prince of the People for his efforts to preserve and strengthen the Hawaiian people). He has a masters degree in educational administration from the University of Hawaii, where he also served as a football coach before starting his broadcast career at KGMB in 1977. Hawaii Public Employee Salaries After working in Hawaii politics at the state level, including a brief period with the Office of Rep. Mark Moses, she went on to work for several advocacy groups based in Washington, D.C., where she currently resides. 'The Other Side of Paradise' with Lynn Kawano, KHNLPUBLICFILE@HAWAIINEWSNOW.COM (808) 847-3246, KGMBPUBLICFILE@HAWAIINEWSNOW.COM (808) 847-3246, KFVEPUBLICFILE@HAWAIINEWSNOW.COM (808) 847-3246, KSIXPUBLICFILE@HAWAIINEWSNOW.COM (808) 847-3246, KOGGPUBLICFILE@HAWAIINEWSNOW.COM (808) 847-3246. Prince Waikiki has appointed Joshua Hargrove as general manager, parent company Prince Resorts Hawaii announced. Scott contributed to building and creating a modern 21stcentury newsroom at Hawaii News Now that brought an unprecedented level of high-quality news and information online and on-air to the people living in Hawaii and globally, he said. Celebrate Hawaiian holiday, Lei Day, at Nevada State Museum in Carson City. [citation needed] Those let go had been with the station between 20 and 30 years, while those employed as little as six months were allowed to retain their jobs. He permanently returned to Honolulu in 2002 after stints on the mainland running stations in Seattle and San Francisco, as well as the River City Broadcasting and Telemundo station groups. Blangiardi, a longtime broadcast industry leader, would be entering a competitive 2020 race for mayor. Kelii Akina, Ph.D., is a recognized scholar, public policy spokesperson and community leader in Hawaii. HONOLULU Hawaii State Federal Credit Union (Hawaii California Consumer Limit the Use of My Sensitive Personal Information, California Consumer Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information, Former HNN news director Scott Humber is the mayor's new communications director, Humber replaces Tim Sakahara, who took a job at Central Pacific Bank, Ian Scheuring joins the team with extensive digital production experience, Blangiardi was the general manager of HNN until he resigned to run for mayor. But Rick Blangiardi, president and general manager of Hawaii News Now, announced today that he will retire this month and may run for Honolulu mayor, according to a HNN report. [10], In 1993, he became vice president and general manager at KPIX-TV in San Francisco. Sorry, no headlines or news topics were found. Previously, he worked as a journalist for 17 years including at Hawaii News Now, where Blangiardi was the general manager. They were drawing a crowd that was blocking the walkways and blocking the exits, making it hard for people to get out. Were committed to a broad applicant recruiting outreach program in our continuing efforts to represent our diverse community. cookies to improve your experience and customise advertising. Language links are at the top of the page across from the title. 2023, Charter Communications, all rights reserved. She has lived in Hawaii since 2018. Samples of his work are posted at charleymyers.net and charleymyers.com. Telephone: 808-529-4747, Trumps plan to curb teen vaping exempts some flavors, Seahawks receiver John Ursua hasnt played much, but hes always ready for his call, HMSA execs saw big pandemic pay raises as workers lost their jobs, Hawaiian Airlines system glitch frustrates passengers, Crash shuts down areas near Kaimuki Avenue, Kapahulu, Police fatally shoot man, 40, wielding weapon on Molokai, Guilherme Voss demands attention from both opponents and community, 1 killed when plane slams into hillside in L.A. neighborhood, UC Riverside baseball team defeats Hawaii, 7-6, 2 pet cats die, 1 woman displaced in McCully apartment fire, May 5, 1993: Hawaii Supreme Court rejects state's gay marriage ban as unconstitutional. HNNs parent company is Gray TV, a leading digital media and broadcasting company. But its unfortunate it gone blown up on social media.. Charley Myers began his career as a photographer after graduating from the University of Hawaii with a bachelors degree in fine arts. All rights reserved. The new hires had no prior experience operating the new equipment and had to be trained. Honolulu mayor is a non-partisan position, and Blangiardi describes himself as a social liberal and a fiscal conservative. I did not have security guards available They were handling other permitted events in the mall.. 1050 Bishop St. #508, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813 [11] He was hired as president of River City Broadcasting in St. Louis in 1994, and after its sale to Sinclair Broadcast Group, became the chief executive officer of the Premier Horse Network in 1997. Originally from Washington, he now resides in Tempe,Arizona, where he is majoring in film production at Arizona State University and directs and edits short videos. [6], When his mother moved back to Massachusetts, Blangiardi transferred to Springfield College, where he played for the football team and completed his Bachelor of Science in physical education and biology in 1969. WebHis work has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, the Honolulu-Star Advertiser, Pacific Business News, Honolulu Civil Beat and other publications. Hawaiian Telcom names new president and general manager Blangiardi said he had been approached in the past to consider politics, but it was the combination of an ownership change at his stations (which were purchased by Gray Television in 2019), a hand-picked successor ready to take over and an open mayoral race that convinced him to take the leap. How Rick Blangiardi Went from TV Station Manager to Honolulu But now that COVID-19 has impacted the states economy, which relies heavily on tourism, the new mayor says his priority is economic recovery. He has my complete respect and admiration for making this decision.. When hes not designing or publishing, he enjoys sketching, skiing, gardening and, whenever possible, surfing. Jensen Ahokovi is a graduate of Iolani School and currently studying economics at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. He replaces Tim Sakahara, who left to take a position as assistant vice president and corporate communications manager for Central Pacific Bank. [3][6] From 1972 to 1976, he served as an assistant coach for the Rainbow Warriors under head coaches Dave Holmes and Larry Price. I was a little bit shocked, says Hawaii News Now news director Scott Humber. [23][24][25], Blangiardi voted for Donald Trump in the 2016 presidential election, and said, "I think a lot of his policies, despite his personal antics, have been effective". We cant go down this path where youre just going to call him up and try and get an answer from him. [3] He worked at KGMB from 1977 to 1984. In most cases, it would not be possible for one company to own two "big three" stations, since the Federal Communications Commission's duopoly rules do not allow common ownership of two of the four highest-rated stations in a market. News anchor Shawn Ching is leaving Hawaii News Now to spend more time with his wife and one-year-old son, he said in a letter posted on the TV stations website. A graduate of Central Kitsap High School in Silverdale, Washington, she moved to Hawaii in 2018 when her father was transferred here by the U.S. Navy. 10. [3], In January 2020, Blangiardi announced his retirement from television. Rick Blangiardi Is Back On TV, But This Time He's A Politica He has communication degrees from Florida State University and the University of Hawaii, was a Herbert J. Davenport Fellow in Business and Economic Reporting at the University of Missouri, reported from Japan as part of an International Press Institute journalist exchange program, and is a former Hawaii chapter president of the Society of Professional Journalists. He previously worked in the television industry and helped consolidate KHNL and KGMB into Hawaii News Now. Keas actions do not reflect the spirit of aloha, respect or reverence, exemplified by the namesake of the building he works in, Prince Khi, Fevella wrote. General Manager WebJoin the Hawaii News Now Team. A graduate of Kamehameha Schools, h. e holds advanced degrees from Northwestern University and the University of Hawaii. Learn More. By clicking "OK" or continuing to use this site, you agree that we may collect and use your personal data and set jahokovi@grassrootinstitute.org Melissa Rabideau On that date, the two stations began to jointly produce and simulcast weeknight 5 and 10 p.m. newscasts, while KHNL moved its 6 p.m. newscast to 5:30. (Jonah Khi Kalanianaolewas a prince of theKingdom of Hawaiiuntil it was overthrown by a coalition of American and European businessmen in 1893. Wow, this never happened to us before. Hes been through a real ordeal with the birth of his son. 500 Ala Moana Blvd. He may over communicate too much sometimes. In his free time, he enjoys SCUBA diving and hiking around Oahu. Hilo man indicted in connection to domestic incident, Update: Man and woman in custody after reportedly, 44-year-old charged with attempted murder after, Couple indicted on attempted murder charges for, Free child safety seat clinic coming to Kona, Police co-hosting free child safety seat clinic in, Letter to Brookfield Properties.dhhl.Prince Kuhio Plaza. The local news schedule on KFVE remains unchanged. Blangiardi, 73, has not held public office but has served on community boards. I just pray to god it doesnt happen to anyone else.. He has worked for two law firms, multiple forensics organizations and in social media marketing. #7-500 This is Now is hosted by HNN reporter/anchor Ashley Nagaoka and award-winning HNN producer/director Jonathan Jared Saupe.[2]. WebHawaii News Now corporate office is located in 420 Waiakamilo Rd Ste 205, Honolulu, Hawaii, 96817, United States and has 234 employees. The origins of the three stations sharing their resources stemmed from the August 18, 2009 announcement that MCG Capital Corporation (then-owner of KGMB) and Raycom Media (owner of KHNL and, at the time, KFVE) had entered into a shared services agreement with Raycom as the senior partner. Submit your coronavirus news tip. Relevance is automatically assessed, so occasionally headlines not about Hawaii news might appear - if so please contact us regarding any persistent issues. He was born and raised in Hawaii, but also has lived in Japan and California. Hawaii News Nows General Manager Rick Blangiardi Joins Hawaii State FCU Board of Directors. Scheuring, like Blangiardi, was a former collegiate football player who found a niche in journalism. Ching will return to practicing law. I didnt want to stay at the dance too long in broadcast, but Ive been blessed with some really good energy and I knew I wanted to do something that mattered, says Blangiardi, who turned 74 in September. Owned by Branson Visitors TV; Gray holds a 50.1% interest in this company. Variety is a part of Penske Media Corporation. Twitter He is one of the most celebrated personalities who mainly appears on the screen of Hawaii News Now. Prior to joining this channel, Guy worked at Water Bound Enterprises based in Honolulu, Hawaii. Guy joined the enterprise in 1982 where he worked as an independent sales representative for companies servicing surf shops across the state. News As general manager of three major television stations in Honolulu, Rick Blangiardi oversaw the markets most-watched newscasts for nearly two decades. And I understand that, I respect it.. Blangiardi was elected mayor of Honolulu in the 2020 mayoral election, and took office on January 2, 2021. Brenner Danielson is a native of Boise, Idaho who moved to Hawaii in 2019 to attend Hawaii Pacific University, where he is a senior studying finance and economics with minors in marketing and international studies. Mitsui worked at a local insurance company before joining the Grassroot Institute of Hawaii. He was fired in February 1992, when the station was sold to new owners. The mayor's communications team, which also includes former KITV sports director Brandi Higa, draws on the experience of multiple former local broadcast journalists. Among the issues brought up late in the race was Blangiardis political identification. You can find fiscal years 2011 through 2020 in the same database. He also has been published widely as a freelance writer. Please view at your own discretion. If your organization is interested in becoming part of this list, and you distribute job information or can provide referrals as part of your regular activity, we would like to hear from you. Copyright 2023 Grassroot Institute of Hawaii. A pair of Hawaii News Now veterans are joining Mayor Rick Blangiardis communications team. If he decides to enter the mayoral race, he will join what is expected to be a crowded field. The average Hotel General Manager salary in Hawaii is $119,700 as of March 28, 2023, but the range typically falls between $97,500 and $143,200 . [1], The swap was structured so that the KFVE callsign was reassigned to the license held by MCG Capital for KGMB and the KGMB callsign was reassigned to the license held by Raycom for KFVE. He is also an exceptional leader who knows and understands Hawaii, and the many challenging issues we face at every level of government, and in our communities. Reception may vary by location and some stations may only be viewable with. #7-500 KHNL had run newscasts intermittently since signing on as independent station KTRG in 1962, it formed its longest-running news department to date in April 1995 as a Fox affiliate with the launch of a 9 p.m. newscast (that was simulcast on KFVE until January 1996, when it became exclusive to the latter station); KHNL added newscasts at 5, 6 and 10 p.m. during the summer and fall of 1995, with the addition of a weekday morning newscast after it joined NBC on January 1, 1996. Ted Kefalas is a graduate of the University of Virginia, where he double majored in political science and media studies while playing football for the Virginia Cavaliers. Passenger goes overboard and vanishes on cruise headed to Hawaii, Coast Guard says, The Coast Guard Is Searching for a Man Who Fell Overboard on a Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship, JPMorgan Chase to buy distressed First Republic Bank in deal brokered by U.S. regulator, US regulators seize California's First Republic in latest banking failure, Donald Trump lands in Scotland ahead of Clare visit later this week, 'It's great to be home': Donald Trump touches down in Scotland for first UK visit since 2019, Trump's lawyers request mistrial in E. Jean Carroll case, Trump asks for mistrial in E. Jean Carroll rape lawsuit, US roping in Philippines into geopolitical conflict harms Manila's interests, undermines China-Philippines ties: expert, Biden to host Philippines leader Ferdinand Marcos Jr. as tensions with China grow, US engagement in Azerbaijan-Armenia peace process to gain more impetus A new peace attempt is, US voices commitment to peace between Azerbaijan and Armenia, Forgot your password? During his spare time, he is an avid runner who participates every year in the Honolulu Marathon. Im an independent person. Blangiardi was the general manager of HNN until he resigned to run for mayor Award-wining news director Scott Humber started his new job as Blangiardis Blangiardis competitor in the final runoff, Keith Amemiya, hammered him for supporting Donald Trump in 2016 (a negative in this Democratic-leaning state). The newscasts are produced by Gray Television, which owns KGMB, KHNL, and KFVE. Prince Waikiki names new general manager YouTube He told the HNN staff this morning: I think I have a lot to give. [13], In 2002, Blangiardi returned to Hawaii as the senior vice president and general manager of KHON-TV and KGMB. Firing called for Prince Khi Plaza GM who stopped legendary He started at KGMB as an intern in 2011 and later returned as a digital content producer and social media reporter before becoming the stations digital executive producer. Copyright 2023 StarAdvertiser.com. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Learn more here. American business executive and politician, State of Hawaii Organization of Police Officers, "How TV Broadcasting Veteran Rick Blangiardi Wound Up As Honolulu's New Mayor", "29 Aug 2014, C3 Honolulu Star-Advertiser at", "Rick Blangiardi: This Former TV Exec Wants To Be CEO Of Honolulu", "GM Blangiardi CoachesSurging Squad to Victory | Broadcasting+Cable", "Sit-Down With Candidates For Honolulu Mayor: Rick Blangiardi", "Blangiardi sits down to talk about being inducted into Hawaii Sports Circle of Honor", "INTERVIEW-Crossing Cultures | Los Angeles Business Journal", "Blangiardi Fired As General Manager At King Broadcasting", "Rick Blangiardi Named To V.P.
Ionic Sleep System Copper Infused Mattress Protector, Articles H