121 likes. Another medical professional in our class, Lauren Trakimas Frye is in her second year of practice as a vascular surgeon in Nashville. One of the longest running and most prestigious programs of its kind, it offers students the chance to earn credits and a Cornell transcript, study with top Ivy League faculty, and experience college academics firsthand. They plan a reprise of that trip, except to the Canadian Maritime provinces, this coming spring. But other uses can be legitimate and productive. Register to let other graduates of George Washington High School . You may also find many classmates in the Alumni Directory. I have been in the principal's office for about 40 years. If you have a high school-aged child who is interested in applying for the 2023 online program, you can learn more here. Dan Taubmanwrites that Zoom has brought together six friends in four states, two countries, and four time zones for biweekly calls! Patti Jacobson reports that she was retiring at the end of 2022 after practicing chiropractic for 35 years, 33 of them in Ithaca. Meanwhile, Michele Brand Medwin and husband Steve are proud to announce their new endeavor in retirement. Hope you are planning to celebrate with us in Ithaca this June 811. What is something youre doing now that you never thought youd be doing? There are always great events, lectures, and dinners, and, best of all, plenty of time for reconnecting with friends or making new ones! When Fred, MBA 63, a longtime supporter of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, passed away in 2004, the CALS Alumni Association chapter on Long Island decided to memorialize him by naming their annual faculty-speaker lecture after him. Alumni Directory. How to Post Your Reunion Announcement Presently, he is working with industry to use CRISPR/Cas to change the DNA in patient stem cells and cure sickle cell disease and related disorders. She has released a childrens book, The First Lantern Festival, which she both authored and illustrated. This book was also an outlet for Jade to write about their identity as an Asian queer femme. As Alli is white and Asha is Black, they provide a diverse perspective as they explore such issues as race, religion, family, love, and belonging. What brings you the most satisfaction these days? Alex Koch is excited to share that he is now the southwest regional vice president for the Cornell Hotel Society (CHS). We would like to hear from you. Busy in retirement in Concord, MA, Julia and Dexter enjoyed a Cornell trip to Northern Ireland. I had a difficult time after my football career ended due to injury. He refocused and co-created Alternative Spring Break, for students to spend a week repairing homes for those in need in Appalachia, WV. Alfred Cowger Jr.s daughter Catherine was one of the many talented high school students to participate in the 2022 Cornell Precollege Studies summer program. We enjoy hearing from you and having the opportunity to share your stories with our fellow classmates. Glenn was diagnosed with a form of lymphoma called Waldenstroms macroglobulinemia. This is always one of the most exciting times on campus, when bits of green appear through the gray. And we are grateful to Cornell that we have such a fabulous group of friends to go through life with!. Thank you all for the news! Your classmates will be happy to hear from you and we will publish your submissions on a timely basis. The Levines have attended Cornells Adult University several times, including last summer, and readily admit that they fell in love with the Ithaca summers. He is also active in the Cornell Club of Los Angeles and Cornell Mosaic as well as other activities both with Cornell and in his local community. I ride three to four days a week and have a young mare who I bred and is now in training. We eat out once or twice a week and entertain at home as the occasion arises. Nicholas Daniels writes, My memoir was released in December 2022 and is available on Amazon. Still, very grateful that we can yet get up and go.. Cornells is one of the longest running and most prestigious precollege programs of its kind, and it offers students the chance to earn credits and a Cornell transcript, study with top Ivy League faculty, and experience college academics firsthand. Did you know that the Board of Trustees is a true governing body of 64 members, which includes staff, faculty, alumni, and students? He is also a visiting professor at Cornell and an adjunct professor at Fordham Law School. The New Horizons LORRI telescope took stunning pictures of Pluto and outer asteroids, and the James Webb Space Telescope, whose mirrors we polished, is opening exploration of our galaxy to a new level., From California, we hear from Glenn Ducat that he has just published a book, Blue Oasis No More: Why Were Not Going to Beat Global Warming and What We Need to Do About It. I am co-founder of the startup Bloomballa Beauty, a dermatologist-developed wellness and beauty brand that creates tea-infused beauty and wellness supplements for the skin, hair, and body. Also, Raecheles co-founder is an alum of Weill Cornell Medicine! Holyoke/Duke 73) report that they recently celebrated both of their daughters weddings over a span of nine months. He also recently joined F45 Training, the fastest growing gym chain in America. Next, for those of you who need a more physical activity,Richard Goldberg(Providence, RI), professor emeritus of psychiatry at Brown University, has recently published a new golf book,Better Golf Better Life, describing the transformational power of golf. Meanwhile the hotel-provided breakfast and lunch meals (at the Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter) were of good quality, and special perks included wine, beer, and coffee daily. FAQ, Does your High School Class have a full-featured Alumni Website? I have outlived all my oldest friends but have new friends and a wonderful family. A highlight of his time at Cornell was being a member of Tau Delta Phi. If you havent yet, its not too late! Ray Gottesfeld For example, Sonia Pressman Fuentes (Sarasota, FL) wrote in: On April 19, 2022, a book was published called The Great Stewardess Rebellion: How Women Launched a Workplace Revolution at 30,000 Feet, by Nell McShane Wulfhart, which featured a trio of women, of whom I was one. Knowing that Toronto, Canada, was only two hours away, he and his bride were on their way. Jonathan Talamoand spouse Andrea Robinson live in Boston, MA, where he is a physician, consultant, and board director. I did not know that the 1950 census contacted all fraternities, and presumably sororities, dormitories, and other dwellings, to find out who was where, but it made sense. Majoring in zoology at Cornell, he paid his way working at the Library of Natural Sounds, where he preserved archival recordings of bird calls. On December 19, millions of jubilant people streamed into downtown Buenos Aires, celebrating Argentinas World Cup victory with cheers, firecrackers, and honking car horns. Tish Oney published her second book, Jazz Singing: A Guide to Pedagogy and Performance (Rowman & Littlefield, 2022), on the heels of her bestseller, Peggy Lee: A Century of Song (Rowman & Littlefield, 2020). In September, my writing was included in Speech Itself, an installation at Rockefeller Center by renowned artist Jenny Holzer. Please do send us your newsvia the hard-copy form or the online news formso our future class columns can be full of news from all of you. Active in the community, Matt also serves on the executive committee of the Development Advisory Council as part of the Buffalo Niagara Partnership; is a member of the ULI Young Leaders Board of Directors; is former vice president of the Cornell Club of Greater Buffalo; and chairs the Teens Living with Cancer Prom through Roswell Park. He wanted to reframe the discussion. Got news to share? Our class headquarters for the weekend is William Keeton House on West Campusa far cry from the U-Halls (i.e., barracks) of our day! She also volunteers with the Cornell Media Guild/WVBR-FM, where she recently led a committee to organize and improve volunteer onboarding. Says Rick: I am so grateful to my parents for their amazing support of my education, and I found a meaningful way to properly thank them. We are grateful for your generosity, Rick! I hope to see many of you there! A class member shares their experience at Cornell, what class they liked best, what they are doing now, or a summary of what life has been like after Cornell. The younger daughter was married in September 2021, and the older daughter in June 2022. Luckily, our 30th Reunion is just a year away! Her children: Harold 73, Janet, Edith, and Michael attended Cornell, Rice, University of Houston, and CalTech, respectively. Now, shes excelling in it. We hope to see many of you present. Now that Im an empty nester and have more time, I figured this would be a great opportunity to attend. Cristina is all-in on the Big Red. Indicates an included photo, ADD NEW Others were filled with memorabilia, much of it from the non-academic part of my undergraduate experience. Alumni coming to Southeast Asia will be amazed how many Cornellians are around the region. 5/5/2018, "THANKYOU so much for handling this for us! Ive also been helping to resettle a Ukrainian couple and the wifes mother in our local community., James Mahen, MBA 74, writes, I get the most satisfaction from spending time with my wife, Cherie, of 51 years and my four kids and eight grandkids. (As a college junior he once spent three months in the Ecuadorian rainforest collecting previously unidentified bugs subsequently studied for new chemical compounds of possible use in medicines.). The SMM class taught her about using Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram for marketing and related communications. We would like to hear from you. We have five children, nine grandchildren, and two great-grandchildrena very nurturing family. A retired urologist, he played golf until this year and now works out at the gym every morning at 6 a.m. I take online courses, write short stories, and oversee financial investments for the family. If somebody had told me in college that this city boy would retire to tiny Trumansburg, I would have told them they were crazy. On Facebook, youll see photographs he shares that reveal his love of the outdoors, hiking with his dog or two local hiking groups. Whos planning to attend Reunion, June 811? 20th Anniversary! We are not making any records with four grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. Many chatbots are now available using AI (artificial intelligence) to write clear, intelligent sentences/paragraphs on various subjects. Paul is still working as a federal administrative law judge; Bob is working part time, in theory, with former colleagues who formed a plaintiff-side employment law boutique (after a lifetime on the management side); and Jay and Tony are retired. Her biggest takeaway from the pandemic is the importance of family and social interaction., In Manhattan, Cyrus Abbe is very grateful to report that he celebrated his second bar mitzvah at age 83, thanking God for protecting me during my Jewish rescue missions and blessing me with a beautiful family and a wonderful life.. He remains busy volunteering two days a week at the Mid-Coast Hospital and two days a month at the Maine Maritime Museum. We made itlets enjoy it! 9/25/2017, "I love your service and will continue to support you." A note from Alice Katz Berglas: I am visiting my family in Berkeley, sitting at my dining table, looking out the window at a Meyer lemon tree and the beginning of blossoms as February turns next week to March. Bill Lee, ME 71 (Grayslake, IL) celebrates being married to Barbara since last October. Weve added an off-site (Ithaca Mall) pickleball soire with darts, other games, and refreshments. Joan Hens Johnson (email Joan) | Stephen Appell (email Stephen) | Alumni Directory. In Class of 2015 news, Jennica Egan Luu, after serving in the Air Force, is now in medical school pursuing an MD. There are no fees required for participation on this site. In addition, he is a contributing columnist for the New York Law Journal, NY Business Law Journal, and the Federal Bar Council Quarterly; he has published approximately 300 articles on a variety of legal subjects and is frequently featured in the national media and regularly speaks across the country on securities, professional responsibility, and complex litigation issues., Shelley also mentioned that fellow Delta Gamma Mary Mi OConnell lives in Dunedin, FL, where DG Barb Johnson was spending the winter and planning a charity event for Clearwater DGs called Booze, Bagels & Beads. (Details to follow!). The student body of today is different from our class and has experienced the pressures of COVID and social media. Last fall, we finally made it to Istanbul and Cappadocia with a pit stop in Lisbon. Congrats! Denver High School yearbook, 1987 (included in US School Yearbooks) Ancestry He provided holistic, therapeutic counseling, not only to students, but to anyone who felt the need for it. Along with their grandson, they get together often including the seven of them making trips to Ithaca. Share your memories by posting photos or stories, or find out about your next class reunion! Thats a big statement, yet it bears out in my results with students from the early years through young adulthood. Keep in touch and continue to share your news with us by e-mailing either of us. At our age, members of the Class of '48 have an abundance of free timeand Joyce Van Denburgh Doty, MFA '50, made excellent use of it with a detailed response to the Share Your News form.. Perhaps invigorated by the oxygen she uses (though she never smoked, she presumes she inhaled others'), she goes beyond her own TV watching of both old black-and-white shows and modern news to . Mitch Pride, MArch 09, has been promoted to principal at the global architecture and design firm MG2. VIEW ALL. Another physician, Marc Gabel, writes: I have retired after a 60-year medical career that metaphorically followed the arc of lifebeginning in pediatrics and concluding in medical assistance in dying, with stops in military medicine, international public health, and rural general practice, plus a stint as president of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario. Cornell prepares us well. Cornell holds a huge place in my heart. She focuses on complex, high-risk commercial litigation and has served on multiple trial teams in federal and state courts, working on cases covering a wide array of subject matters including First Amendment, breach of contract, and election law. If you see your name among the East High School graduates, someone is looking for you! We celebrated our 53rd wedding anniversary. Sally Rose, Katharine Kunz Nanda We greatly appreciate your wonderful support." 10/3/2017 "Thanks for all your hard work and ingenious . Class of 2017 (email c/o Alexandra Bond 12) | Alumni Directory. This location is now referred . Their son is a brand manager for the Botanist Gin owned by Rmy-Cointreau in NYC, and their daughter is a director at RightClick, an IT search firm also in Connecticut. 9/11/2017, "Thank you for your assistance. Bernie Passed away on November 20 at his home in Lynn Haven Florida. Congratulations to Kisshia Simmons on being named to the Lawyers of Colors Hot List in 2022. Please email us your news! After graduating from Cornell with his psychology degree, Larry returned to his Buffalo hometown. 2023-03-11 Fossil Ridge Denver East boys - spin move travel? Class of 2002 (email c/o Alexandra Bond 12) | Alumni Directory. Professor and dean emeritus (and class correspondent!) James continues, Im still doing a little furniture building for family and friends to help pass the gray days on the Cape in winter weather. Paul Goldberg, ME 69, and his newlywed wife, Susan, moved to Broken Sound Club in Boca Raton, and Walter and Suzy Schenker purchased a home at the Club at Ibis in West Palm Beach. We have the support of, and are working with, the Skorton Health Center and senior administration. amsc: 1, More bravos at: Ray Gottesfeld But being lost together, we somehow found a path. This editions Class Notes correspondent: Ingrid Dieterle Tyler (email Ingrid) | Alumni Directory. Although hes an Artsie, he says the most life-changing aspect of his Cornell years was doing the College of Human Ecologys semester-long internship course in New York City titled The Ecology of Urban Organizations. He says that it set him up for his first career as an advertising executive in NYC. I also enjoy taking senior classes at a local college, playing tennis, and visiting my children and grandchildren., Queried about how his daily life has changed, Don Dewey, BA 65, says wryly, Its the same old, same old. He is COO at Hudson Executive Capital. see. John retired at age 75 as a consultant in strategic planning. East High School is a historical public high school located in the City Park neighborhood on the east side of Denver, Colorado, . Ilene Shub Lefland (email Ilene) | Cindy Fuller (email Cindy) | Alumni Directory. My final concert with City Choir was the Brahms Requiem, among the greatest of choral masterpieces. Scott is a Phi Kappa Tau brother and loved the study room at Clark Library. As they just happened to be visiting friends or relatives nearby,Jay Cusackfrom Florida and Bob Dolinko from the San Francisco Bay Area attended, as didTony Calabresefrom southern New Hampshire. It was lovely to hear from Hans Bauer. Now I'm almost back into computers. There is a nationwide campaign now in the U.S. to bring increasing awareness of this persecution. They bring the sparkle to our lives!. Hey, McGarry! Michael regularly called out whenever he saw or heard her on the Donlon floor. Eastridge Community Elementary School Aurora Public Schools 1998 Mark Mavrogianes Northglenn High School Adams 12 Five Star Schools 1997 Pam Schmidt Thunder Ridge Middle School Cherry Creek Schools 1996 Steve Hornyak Eaton High School Eaton School District 1995 Molly Merry Madison Exploratory School Canon City Schools 1994 (National Finalist) Their son, Christopher, is a professional musician and music entrepreneur. I also have two grandsons and a golf game that hasnt moved much below the low 90s., Kenneth Fields, BS 69 (Decatur, GA) reports: After 26 years in what is now red Florida as a city/town/village/tribal manager, I retired and moved to purple Georgia in December to be closer to my partners (Pitt 66) grandkidsjust in time for single-digit temperatures (just like Ithaca in winter), which I was definitely not ready for. Do you realize that June 811 this year is your chance to attend Cornell Class of 68s 55th Reunion? They are making me happy. He is most satisfied seeing kids happy and traveling to see friends around the world.. With that in mind, our mantra for our next venture was flat, flat, very flat! Now Larry and his wife of 56 years maintain a home in Toronto, but the colder weather finds them in Boca Raton, FL. All, please remember that our president John Toohey started the 84 Faces communication project! If you havent yet, its not too late! Its so great to connect. Harrys activism with regard to ending world hunger lives on in WhyHunger, which operates on the fundamental belief that access to nutritious food is a human right and hunger is a solvable problem in a world of abundance. Also, Harry would hang out in the lobby after shows and talk to anybody who wanted to chat. Beth Berman Zipper and spouse Jeffrey live in Boca Raton, FL, near to her four children (three Cornellians) and three grandchildren. Our Story. Simply stated, we are undertaking action to support a program that will benefit students for many years: the impact of our gift should outlast us. Quite strangely for a young guy, he had attended a death cafwhich I learned from the Internet is a meeting of about a dozen persons who, without agenda, meet to increase awareness of death with a view to helping attendees make the most of their lives. He met with 10 persons all over age 70, except for him, and reported that he found the experience enlightening, thought-provoking, and inspiring. He asked what I knew about death cafs and death doulaswhich was nothing. Margo has stirred up memories for me. It was all online that year, and remains so. This is the second collaboration for these authors, who also wroteTiny Imperfections(2020). Cheering on Elise and the girls are Elises hubby Rick 91 and dad Gary Wiener 65. Additional contributions are welcome Remember to send your news to: Susan Williams Stevens (email Susan) | Doug Fuss (email Doug) | Alumni Directory. He was there long enough to become a decent surfer and earned his private pilots certificate. Melvyn has served as president of the Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations, the Harold Vyvyan Harmsworth Professor at Oxford University, and dean of the College and Graduate School of Arts & Sciences at the University of Virginia. Again, I served as chief registration nerd.. Drawing on an archival analysis of Indian government documents, a new database of migrants transnational organizations, and unique interviews with poor and elite emigrants, recruiters, and government officials, this book exposes the vital role the Indian state, as well as its poor and elite emigrants, have long played in forging and legitimizing class inequalities within the country through their management of international emigration. Once college roommates, Annelie Wilde 71 and Jill Rosenfeld 71 now live near each other at Riderwood Village, a 2,200-resident community. We cannot provide this service without your support. This winter, I will lead the inaugural cohort of Get the Word Out, a new publicity incubator for debut authors launched by Poets & Writers. If a visual or other impairment makes this impossible, e-mail us at editor@EastHigh.org. Alison thought she would be a nutritionist forever. What is your fondest memory from your time at Cornell? I (Dik Saalfeld) have spent many years living in cities in temperate climates, having eschewed Upstate and Western New York long ago, and am wrapping up my first winter in our New England home.
Wounding With Intent To Injure Nz, When Is Paul Dejong Coming Back, Articles D