In his letter, Polis wrote the arbitrary and unjust sentence was the result of a law of Colorado passed by the legislature and signed by a prior Governor and is not the fault of the judge who handed down the mandatory sentence required by the law in this case.. During the closure, traffic was being diverted off at . Updated: 1:02 PM MDT March 24, 2023. A witness told police that Aguilera-Mederos was wide eyed and with a terrified look on his face moments before the accident, according to the affidavit. A tractor-trailer crashed. All Rights Reserved. Speed is being investigated as a factor in the crash. In addition to four counts of vehicular homicide, Aguilera-Mederos was found guilty of 23 other charges, according to Colorados First Judicial District Attorneys Office: Six counts of assault in the first degree extreme indifference; 10 counts of attempt to commit assault in the first degree extreme indifference; two counts of vehicular assault reckless; one count of reckless driving; and four counts of careless driving causing death. And Mr. Mederos is of course extraordinarily grateful for the governors decision, Colgan said. Skip Navigation . CNNs Ray Sanchez contributed to this report. The crash caused a fuel spill on the highway. 1 dead after semi-truck flips on 6th Ave at I-25 in Denver. You can also replay recent newscasts and find videos on demand of our top stories, local politics, investigations and Colorado specific features. You can also replay recent newscasts and find videos on demand of our top stories, local politics, investigations and Colorado specific features. Expect Significant Delays for an extended period, CSP Golden (@csp_golden) August 26, 2021. Drivers should anticipate additional traffic on the route. 110 years: Truck driver to spend life in prison for deadly 2019 crash, Semi driver faces vehicular homicide charges in highway inferno that killed four. Kraken win Game 7, bounce Avalanche from playoffs, 14-year-old girl reported missing in Denver. TAMPA, Fla. - The driver of a semi-truck was miraculously uninjured after two utility poles flew through the cab of his truck on Friday morning.The accident, which occurred on Interstate 275 in . January 6, 2023 / 2:13 PM / CBS Colorado A driver was rescued by fire crews following a semitruck accident that closed both directions of I-70 near Bennett. #Denver pic.twitter.com/jzF8OiFmBO. Dustin Moyer, 6, and Brian Moyer Jr., 10, killed in crash on 12th Sharon Watz, 79, and John Watz, 82, killed in crash into parked log Bryanna L. Sargent, 18, killed in single-car crash on Highway 20 Marcos Luna, 20, killed and Jaime Lopez, 23, injured in car Minnesota man with valid driver's license arrested for 28th DWI, Texas Tornado: Infant, toddler rescued from submerged truck (VIDEO), Girl fights off carjacker attempting to kidnap her and sister in Williamsburg, Virginia, Baby dies after taking 'natural' cold medicine, Seattle mother sues manufacturer, Read our affiliate disclosure policy here. The crash, just east of. Glenwood Canyon -A safety closure is in place for Interstate 70 in Glenwood Canyon for eastbound and westbound traffic due to a commercial vehicle crash. Whether its a short vacation or theyre jetting off to begin their career, show the future traveler you care with a meaningful graduation gift. (CBS4) - Rogel Aguilera-Mederos is the driver who crashed an out-of-control semi truck into stopped traffic on Interstate 70 in Lakewood in 2019, killing four people and injuring several. While on crash alert status, drivers should cold report or online report all crashes where no one died or was hurt, there were no drugs or alcohol involved, no public property was damaged, all drivers in the accident are still there and everyone agrees to cold report and all involved parties have vehicle and insurance information to exchange. https://t.co/sql1UQUsVk. Colorado State Patrol, Bent County Sheriff's deputies, Fire and Emergency Management responded to the accident. Crews are working to clear the vehicle, which was carrying canned beverages. > Top stories curated daily just for you! Colorado Springs Police and Fire Communications shared to social media at around 8:20 a.m. that the lanes were closed just north of the Woodmen exit due to the crash, also saying there were several crashes in that general area. If I had the discretion, if I thought I had the discretion, I would not run those sentences consecutively, Jones said. The driver of the semi died in the crash. A fire erupted that engulfed vehicles. The showers will likely begin as rain Friday afternoon on Colorado's eastern plains before changing to snow in the evening. Get the Android Weather app from Google Play, Stock market today: Tokyo gains, most world markets, Regulators seize First Republic Bank, sell to JPMorgan, Waste of time: Community college transfers derail, Murray scores 34, Nuggets beat Suns 125-107 in Game, Avs forward Cogliano fractured neck in Game 6, Marte homers in D-Backs 9-1 win, Rockies fall to, Avalanche force Game 7 with win over Kraken in Seattle, Rough winter travel ahead? This will depend on how removal operations go and weather conditions. appreciated. The only hazardous material identified so far is the diesel used to power the vehicle. The length of your 110-year sentence is simply not commensurate with your actions, nor with penalties handed down to others for similar crimes, Polis wrote in the clemency letter. Three Colorado teens arrested for murder in deadly rock throwing . Its hard to live with this trauma. To download 9NEWS+ on Roku search for KUSA. Did you encounter any technical issues? 9NEWS+ has multiple live daily shows including 9NEWS Mornings, Next with Kyle Clark and 9NEWS+ Daily, an original streaming program. Rogel Aguilera-Mederos, now 26, has said his brakes failed on the downhill grade on I-70 eastbound before he crashed into cars that were stopped because of another accident on April 25, 2019. Jack Lowenstein is a digital media producer and assignment desk editor with CBS4 News. I-70 from the Loveland Pass exit to Silverthorne fully reopened just before 4 p.m. Wednesday after closing for the crash. A GoFundMe has been started to help aid in Malyshkins recovery. GLENWOOD SPRINGS, Colo. Westbound Interstate 70 has reopened in Glenwood Canyon after being closed for much of the day due to a semi-truck crash Monday . Neither of the vehicles were carrying any dangerous or hazardous materials, police said, but there was a small diesel spill that Vail Fire cleaned up. Weekend Forecast | Warm and sunny days ahead! Colorado Semi-Truck Accident Statistics. Incredible Semi Truck Accident Today In California News Ideas. Colorado State Patrol (@CSP_News) October 14, 2022. Expect delays in the area. Westbound I-70 in Glenwood Canyon Reopens after Vehicle Crash, https://www.codot.gov/news/2023/february/i70-glenwood-canyon-closed-semi-truck-crash, https://www.codot.gov/@@site-logo/siteLogo.png, Construction starts soon on US 85 safety improvements at CR 14 (14th Street) in Fort Lupton, Military Access, Mobility & Safety Improvement Program - Week of Feb. 5, Fans dont let fans drive impaired: DUI enforcement kicks off game weekend, Statewide storm to cause difficult driving conditions, CDOT takes heartfelt approach to address cannabis-impaired driving, Multiple closures scheduled for southwest mountain passes tomorrow, Two road closures planned for I-25 North Express Lanes Berthoud to Johnstown Project. Kiszla: Avs embarrass themselves with silence about Valeri Nichushkin's mysterious absence following reported 9-1-1 call, Andrew Cogliano out for Game 7 with fractured neck after Jordan Eberle's hit leaves Avalanche miffed at lack of suspension, Celebration of life for Alexa Bartell, killed by rock thrown through windshield, draws hundreds to Arvada church, With Andrew Cogliano out for rest of Stanley Cup Playoffs, Kraken's Jordan Eberle discusses hit that fractured Cogliano's neck, Denver airport makes Food & Wine's list of top 10 U.S. airports with best restaurants, Your complete guide to Denver-area farmers markets in 2023, Here's the final tally on Russell Wilson trade between Broncos and Seahawks, Kiszla: Gritty, little underdog Nuggets remind Phoenix who's real team to beat in the West, Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information. An early morning semi-truck crash on I-25 spilled fuel on the interstate, Dec. 5, 2021 (credit: Colorado State Patrol) Read Less by: Jenny Ivy Posted: Dec 5, 2021 / 12:37 PM MST SUMMIT COUNTY, Colo. (KDVR) A stretch of Interstate 70 was fully closed for several hours on Wednesday after a deadly semi truck crash that killed the driver and hurt a nearby construction worker. Travelers are urged to know before you go. Gather information about weather forecasts and anticipated travel impacts and current road conditions prior to hitting the road. Eastbound traffic on I-70 was shut down in Silverthorne, according to the state Department of Transportation. Colorado Legal Services only assists with civil legal matters. Eastbound traffic routed off at Exit 228, Georgetown, and sent to the the narrow frontage road. Download the 9NEWS APPiTunes:http://on9news.tv/itunesGoogle Play: http://on9news.tv/1lWnC5n. It happened around 10:47 p.m. Tuesday on a westbound I-70 bridge east of Silverthorne. APD said there were no injuries reported at the crash. Rogel Aguilera-Mederos said his brakes were not working before his big rig slammed into stopped traffic on a highway, causing vehicles to burst into flames. July 19, 2022 / 6:45 AM Read our affiliate disclosure policy here. We are meeting with the victims and their loved ones this evening to support them in navigating this unprecedented action and to ensure they are treated with fairness, dignity, and respect during this difficult time, she added. Watch more from 9NEWS on the free 9NEWS+ app for Roku and Fire TV. Denver traffic news, accidents, congestion and road construction from 9 News KUSA in Denver, Colorado. He tried to pull over to the shoulder to avoid stopped traffic, but another semi had already stopped there, according to an arrest affidavit. IE 11 is not supported. Published: Apr. The truck driver in a fatal 2019 Colorado crash was sentenced to 110 years in prison. This was his number last time i spoke to him 916-770-6006, but you can message him on facebook. Firefighters had to extinguish a truck on fire in Denver, Northern Lights put on a dazzling show in Colorado. Judge A. Bruce Jones said his hands were tied by a law passed by state lawmakers that required him to sentence truck driver Aguilera-Mederos to consecutive sentences, meaning they are served back-to-back. There are several accidents in that general area. Wtg! I-225 northbound lanes were closed for a few hours Friday morning due to a two semi-truck crash. The Vail Police Department said westbound I-70 was . All rights reserved. GLENWOOD SPRINGS, Colo. Westbound lanes of Interstate 70 reopened Sunday afternoon after a semi-truck crash in Glenwood Canyon, according to the Colorado Department of Transportation ( CDOT .
Adventures With Purpose Solved Cases, Josh Clark Southpoint Capital, The Michael Scott Podcast Company An Office Podcast, Folsom Softball Tournament, Articles S